“A truly remarkable experience my family won't ever forget”
Review of Alegria Farm

Alegria Farm
Ranked #29 of 78 Outdoor Activities in Quito
More attraction details
Owner description: Built in 1911, historic Hacienda and 135-hectare Alegria Farm are in the verdant heart of the Avenida de los Volcanoes. These beautiful pasturelands are home to more than 200 cows and calves, 65 horses and foals, dozens of llamas and alpacas, and more. It's the perfect place to learn about hacienda life, which includes milking cows, riding horses, animal care, and taking care. Visit us from a few hours a day to several days.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Washington DC
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“A truly remarkable experience my family won't ever forget”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

A day in La Alegria won't ever be forgotten, the family who owns and runs this gorgeous hacienda makes you feel like old time friends in a few hours. You won't regret spending a day or a week here.
Picture a gorgeous property (we did not stay overnight but we will come back one day to sleep) in a gorgeous landscape, excellent food and drinks, amazing horse riding to some of the most beautiful places one can imagine (those volcanoes among clouds!), and all in the company of gentle yet experienced guides who make you feel special, make you feel home.
I have been to many a fantastic place and I have riden horses in beautiful places. The horses here are the best trained I have ever seen and they'll adapt to your needs, whatever they may be. But what makes Alegria stand out (far out) is the people. The owner-manager, Gabriel, and his daughter, Serena who handles internet logistics. The cow-boys or 'chagras' as they are called in Ecuador, like a terrific young man called Rodrigo. But first and foremost, Mr. Mauricio.
El Senor Mauricio, brother of Gabriel, is a Gentleman with capital G, with a vast world culture as UNESCO manager for many years. If you're lucky enough to meet and ride with Mauricio, he'll show you what Ecuadorian hospitality is about. All I can say, dear Mauricio, is GRACIAS! And hope to see you again! My house is your house as well!

Visited April 2013

ireland
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“you couldn't possibly be disappointed”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I liked the homely feel of the accommodation and the owners. If you are worried about animals this would be a good place to stay to ease your fears. I was scared of horses yet I rode horseback every day. The horses were so calm and intelligent. I enjoyed the flexibility of mealtimes to suit the guests. The gardens are absolutely adorable with roses that actually have a scent. Everybody on the farm was thoroughly obliging and patient. An added bonus was the lovely other travellers we met there.

Visited April 2013
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
“Riding in the Cloud Forest and Paramo”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I rode recently at La Alegria whilst on a Volunteering trip to Quito, and thoroughly enjoyed both the riding and my stay at Gabriel and Paty's lovely Hacienda. I returned to go on the 2 day ride to the Cloud Forest, which comes back through the high Paramo, and had the added pleasure of being shown round Oswaldo's orchid garden at Bomboli. Thanks to all, and especially to Gabriel for my lovely forward going horses.

Visited March 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Wonderful day trip to Alegria Farm”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

We spent a wonderful day with Maurizio at Alegria Farm. He took my husband and I on a 3 hour horse ride up into the mountains followed by a delicious meal and tour of the farm. We got to see the horses, llamas, and cows at milking time. The farm is beautiful and the views along the trail were spectacular. We wished we had stayed a night on the farm as the rooms we toured looked so comfortable and peaceful. Definitely recommend this trip if you're looking for something fun to do outside of Quito.

Visited August 2012
2 Thank BF731
Melbourne, Australia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Amazing horseriding, beautiful farm”
Reviewed November 16, 2012

This review is long overdue, as I travelled to Ecuador end of 2012 and had the fortune to spend three days at this beautiful farm, so rich in history, with newly furnished comfortable rooms that overlook the serene misty hills and countryside. The main reason for my visit was to attempt some horseriding, which I'd heard was one of the best in the country. Being a complete beginner (had only spent about 4 hours in a saddle before in my life, and it was mostly at walking pace)....I took a couple of horseriding lessons back home to learn to trot and canter, with the hope that it would be enough to do the Cotopaxi and Ruminahui ride. Gabriel, the wonderful owner of the farm, assessed my abilities the morning of departure, deemed me fit to travel, and off we set. I was with an experienced group of fellow horse-riders who were starting off with the Cotopaxi ride but would then travel onwards to do the 10-day cattle round ups with the chagras (cowboys) somewhere off in the wilderness.

To start, the horses were very well trained, and are hand-picked for your abilities and temperament. I had a spunky little stallion by the name of Zuleto, small but fast, with a lovely canter, and I fell in love with him so much, I was considering buying my own horse on my return home (unrealistic, yes, since I don't own a farm, but tempting nevertheless). The next 24hrs would turn out to be one of my favourite days in South America. It was a few hours ride through town before climbing up the slopes of Ruminahui, and this was where I believe I first fell in love with Ecuador. Beautiful misty and raw wilderness, it reminded me of the wild west movies I had watched as a child, only there were more shades of blue and grey then orange and red. And then, when we finally came down on the other side to reach the shores of Lake Limpiopungo, set amidst the mountains and isolation of everything before us, our horses automatically picked up speed and cantered off into open space. It was the most exhilarating experience I had had on land, and there was such sense of complete freedom. My horse was cantering so fast, I was lifted off the saddle and my swoops of joy were drowned by the wind brushing past me. (PS. I ended up asking the rider behind me how to slow down, she told me to pull back the reins, when i mentioned that I was pulling them, she gave me a very useful tip: 'pull harder' :))

We stayed at the local lodge in Cotopaxi NP that night, a clean little place serving very yummy food, and I returned back to the farm via jeep the next day as my fellow riders were off in a different direction, and I admit being a little relieved, since most of my leg muscles were protesting in pain at this stage.

Had the pleasure of meeting Paty, Gabriel's wife who was my host for the next day, and I must give my heartfelt thanks to both Gabriel and Paty for their warmth and hospitality (not to mention the delicious meals) during my stay at the hacienda. I wish I could have stayed longer, and keep reminiscing about the amazing days I spent at the farm and horseriding, even now, many months later...

Visited December 2011