“Awesome 7 day trip” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Arie's Bike Company Day Tours

Arie's Bike Company Day Tours
Ranked #41 of 75 Outdoor Activities in Quito
More attraction details
Owner description: Guided biketours all over Ecuador 1 to 14 days Mountains, markets, hotsprings, villages, jungle. Arie's Cabin and suite, 2 comfertable places to stay not so far from the new airport of Quito space in each 1 to 4 people price per person per night $ 30,- including breakfast. Transport to airport available
Anchorage, Alaska
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Awesome 7 day trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

We arranged a 7 day bike trip and a one-day tour of Quito. My husband and I travelled with our 10-year old daughter. While I agree with other reviewers that the bikes are not top quality (yes, we had some mechanical problems too), we didn't let that dampen our great time and there was a spare bike that we did use from time to time. The biking was a mix of conditions (off road, dirt road, busy road, etc.), and not terribly challenging (but I understand there are options for bikers interested in more challenging rides). The lodging selected by Arie was clean and comfortable (and quite unique near Chimborazo). Our guide, Roberto, truly made the trip special. He was patient and kind, and hard working. He ensured our comfort for the trip and introduced us to Ecuadorean culinary delights!

We spent two nights at Arie's cabin, and took a day trip (not on bikes) with Arie to Quito. We found Arie to be helpful and friendly. I highly recommend the trip if you're accepting of some rough roads, imperfect bikes, bike-chasing dogs and experiences you won't forget!

Visited October 2013

Christchurch, New Zealand
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Utterly Disappointing.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

Allow me to preclude the following review by saying firstly, my initial impression of Arie and his services was very promising. He was prompt with his responses and picked me up outside of Quito on the way to the ride. Secondly, I am an avid biker. I own four bikes, have rode on four continents and have had guides on three of those; this was the worst ride I have ever been on.

Where to begin?
The misrepresented state of gear and Papallacata Hot Springs and Chaquian Tour could be softened somewhat, chalked up to the hilarities of travel, if Arie wasn't so terribly RUDE. I can think of no other experience i have ever paid for wherein I was so uniformly disrespected over a prolonged period of time.

My fellow riders were two Dutch men who knew Arie from years past and Arie spoke to them in Dutch the duration of the trip. The two Dutch riders and I chatted in English but Arie only spoke to me begrudgingly. There was no commentary one expects on a tour, just a constant flow of Dutch from Arie, making me feel very excluded. When I would ask about a feature, distance, temperature etc Arie would dismiss me with a facetious answer then get annoyed if asked again. Perhaps he didn't know the answers.

The bikes - a joke. I opted to go with this company as Aries emails lead me to believe he had disk brakes and front suspension bikes. The front shocks on my bike were frozen and the breaks were absolutely dire, rear disk breaks failing on a prolonged down hill (front was v-brake). when i pulled over to deal with the failed brakes Arie harangued me that i wasn't going fast enough and that was why the dishes failed! Unbelievably he said kept v-brakes on the front tire because disks failed all the time so in an emergency one could still count on the front brakes to stop them and go over the handle bars.

The ride - first section of downhill - Virgin to Springs - was not acknowledged and we drove straight to the pools (which were lovely). The tracks after the Springs were super rough and not very fun on a bike with no suspension and dubious breaks. After lunch we got on the train tracks; the middle section was very scenic and the latter section was fine, if unremarkable, but the first third was diabolical. Even Aries mates called him out on it -he response - it didn't use to be like that. What 'that' was was a ride through the back yards of South American barrios (slums) - feces, rubbish and feral dogs abound.

I wanted to bring my concerns up to Arie at the end of the ride but with the rudeness that is his signature he cut me off - talking in Dutch - it was only gossiping with his mates, nothing to do with the trip, - front shocks frozen "i can't buy $5000 bike and hire them on tours, people would destroy them".

Don's take this tour.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank Amber D
Toronto, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great Adventure!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

Arie was very easy to book with and was extremely accommodating. He had other members of this tour cancel last minute and yet he was willing to take just me and my partner on a 2 day bike adventure. He was very punctual on our day of departure and picked us up at our hotel. Car is big and comfortable. Arie has lived in Ecuador for over a decade and knows a lot about the country- it is nice to do the tour with him personally as his English is excellent. We did a 2 day bike tour and would highly recommend it. The scenery was absolutely stunning. First day riding down Cotopaxi. Second day descending Chimborazo all the way to Ambato. We stayed overnight at the scenic Casa Condor at the base of Chimborazo which Arie has a personal connection to. This bike tour is beautiful and was definitely a highlight of our 2 weeks in Ecuador. Arie is a character and definitely takes some time to get used to. Tour is so worth it though.

Visited June 2013
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Simply awesome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

Arie is a Dutchman. That means he knows about cycling, and he took that knowledge to Ecuador. We took Arie's Bike Company's trip on Cotopaxi and Quilotoa: the trip was simply awesome and his staff was very friendly and helpful. The gear he brought was good and the views were amazing. There's a track for everyone (I'm an experienced cyclist, my wife was 4 months pregnant and we both had fun doing the same trip). Highly recommended; probably the most memorable way to see Quilotoa and Cotopaxi. Take at least 2 days and if you like a bit of activity, take a couple of days more.

Visited December 2011
2 Thank Diederik D
Vermont
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Nine day bike tour around the Quito area”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2012

We went on a nine day bike tour with Arie around the Quito area visiting places like Quilotoa, Chimborazo, Cotopaxi, Mindo, Banos, etc... It was awesome! Arie drove behind us while the two of us biked on the roads, but didn't follow too closely, so it felt like we were by ourselves. There were some uphills, but a lot of the riding was downhill. I felt like it was a good mix. My only suggestion for a better trip would have been better vegetarian lunches (I can't say how the meat lunches are). Arie can be a bit brash, but he's a good person.

Visited March 2012