Posada Tambuca
$360
  • Breakfast included
$118
$104
All reviewshome away from homeeggshospitable hostsold townfamily run placeanswering any questionsmariscal fochreasonable feeairport pickupbus stationrooms are basicminor inconveniencefresh fruitspoke spanishshort walkarrange transportationwifi connection
Reviewed May 21, 2014 via mobile

Posada Tambuca justifies it's excellent placing amongst other hotels in Quito.

My girlfriend and I stayed here on 2 occasions. On each occasion, the proprietress, Yolanda, welcomed us with a warmth of a close family member.

The breakfasts are an upgrade to other reasonably priced hotels in South America, fresh fruit and good coffee being a highlight. There is a comprehensive communal kitchen for guest use. In addition there is access to drinking water so you can save money and kill less polar bears.

Rooms are clean with extremely comfortable warm beds. There are shared bathrooms, but anyone travelling on a budget will not be perturbed by this (nonetheless, there is a hair-dryer in-situ for those that way inclined...like me).

Yolanda and her charming family are willing to help with any travel arrangements or will give maps/advice/tips to see the city of Quito.

Further to all of this, it is in a great location close to many good eateries and touristic spots. Yet, offset enough to permit a quiet night's sleep and the large gates give the place a secure feel.

I really enjoyed both my stays here.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jimmyjimmyjimmyjim
Reviewed May 14, 2014

We were warmly received at 5:30 a.m. after an overnight bus trip. We enjoyed coffee and a snack while our room was prepared. We slept and went back for a great breakfast. When we asked if we could hire a car to see Otavalo and Cotacachi Yolanda got Carlitos to take us north for the day. It was a great trip with a personable guide and fabulous food in Cotacachi. The bed was the most comfortable of our trip with new linens (and the towels were new too.)We had a hard time getting up each morning. The shared bathroom was kept clean all day.The house is near great transportation; the city bus tour, and the commuter train line. There are lots of small restaurants nearby.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sara A
Reviewed May 11, 2014

We found this place on trip advisor and as we drove by taxi into a sketchy seeming neighborhood in the dreary late afternoon drizzle i wondered if we had made a mistake. NO mistake...this place was first rate. It is a hostel type hotel with a large shared bathroom, excellent hot water, nice big rooms, extremely comfortable beds (best in the last two weeks of hotels), and among the very nicest proprietors we have encountered in decades of travel. there is an ample kitchen for your own cooking if you want it, and a decent living room area with informative books and maps, excellent internet and it is very very quiet esp. for being so close to the nightlife of the Mariscal district. But do take a cab if you come in late.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Carla D
Reviewed May 9, 2014

The owners, Yolanda and Carlos, went out of their way to make sure we enjoyed every moment of our stay in Quito. They were helpful with recommendations of things to do and places to eat. The facilities are very clean and our room was comfortable. I would definitely stay again!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 8, 2014

In January 2014, I returned alone for business and there was nowhere else I would stay besides Posada Tambuca. The location is perfect and Yolanda, Carlos and Carlitos took great care of me, especially when I got sick. Yolanda nursed me back to health. I don't think there's anything they wouldn't do to make my stay any more comfortable than it was. Breakfast is something to wake up to; you get to meet whoever came in the night before and get to know the people who are staying over the freshest eggs, coffee and juice you can imagine. Fresh squeezed juice like you have never tasted. Hammocks outside give you a place to relax under the brilliant sky of Quito and being in a compound makes you feel like you're in an oasis. No matter what time, day or night, you will be taken care of until Yolanda is satisfied. In fact, since I've stayed there for a combined total of 16 nights so far, she's essentially my Ecuadorian mom. My daughter and I are returning in August and can't wait to see them all again. If you're visiting Quito to experience Quito, do yourself a favor and stay at Posada Tambuca; you will not regret it!

Room Tip: All rooms are great. Yolanda will take great care in choosing the best room that will suit your needs. WiFi is abundant, the bathrooms are clean, and everything is quiet and peaceful.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business