“thank you trip advisor. this place was excellent.”
Review of Posada Tambuca

and 1 more site!
Posada Tambuca
Ranked #30 of 111 Hotels in Quito
Reviewed May 11, 2014

We found this place on trip advisor and as we drove by taxi into a sketchy seeming neighborhood in the dreary late afternoon drizzle i wondered if we had made a mistake. NO mistake...this place was first rate. It is a hostel type hotel with a large shared bathroom, excellent hot water, nice big rooms, extremely comfortable beds (best in the last two weeks of hotels), and among the very nicest proprietors we have encountered in decades of travel. there is an ample kitchen for your own cooking if you want it, and a decent living room area with informative books and maps, excellent internet and it is very very quiet esp. for being so close to the nightlife of the Mariscal district. But do take a cab if you come in late.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Carla D
There are newer reviews for Posada Tambuca

Reviewed May 9, 2014

The owners, Yolanda and Carlos, went out of their way to make sure we enjoyed every moment of our stay in Quito. They were helpful with recommendations of things to do and places to eat. The facilities are very clean and our room was comfortable. I would definitely stay again!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 8, 2014

In January 2014, I returned alone for business and there was nowhere else I would stay besides Posada Tambuca. The location is perfect and Yolanda, Carlos and Carlitos took great care of me, especially when I got sick. Yolanda nursed me back to health. I don't think there's anything they wouldn't do to make my stay any more comfortable than it was. Breakfast is something to wake up to; you get to meet whoever came in the night before and get to know the people who are staying over the freshest eggs, coffee and juice you can imagine. Fresh squeezed juice like you have never tasted. Hammocks outside give you a place to relax under the brilliant sky of Quito and being in a compound makes you feel like you're in an oasis. No matter what time, day or night, you will be taken care of until Yolanda is satisfied. In fact, since I've stayed there for a combined total of 16 nights so far, she's essentially my Ecuadorian mom. My daughter and I are returning in August and can't wait to see them all again. If you're visiting Quito to experience Quito, do yourself a favor and stay at Posada Tambuca; you will not regret it!

Room Tip: All rooms are great. Yolanda will take great care in choosing the best room that will suit your nee...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed April 12, 2014

We ( my brother and I) stayed a total of 4 nights in february 2013.
Carlos sr, picked us up at the airport. We were welcomed by Yolanda and we felt at home immediately. The whole family is so nice and helpfull. Carlos brought us back to the airport a few days later, very early in the morning to catch our plane to the Galapagos.
The house is old and therefore a little noisy. Especially in the front room. But the place is so nice that we took that for what is was.
Breakfast was great.
When we came back after 3 weeks, it felt like coming home. We had a lot of contact with Carlos sr, despite the fact that we know hardly 20 words in Spanish and the same for Carlos in English. But communication has never been an issue. Yolanda is like a mother, she is so helpfull.
Posada is well situated, an only a few blocks from Mariscal and from some very nice local restaurants.
Highly recommandated.
Thanks for all Yolanda and Carlos. One year later we did not forget about you and we hope coming back one day.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Susanne T
Reviewed March 18, 2014 via mobile

I arrived to quito at some crazy hour of the morning and the owners son met me at the airport which was really nice and comforting. Although there was nothing wrong with this place, it really lacked any atmosphere or vibe. There are no common areas where you can relax and chat with others about their travel or things to do except the breakfast. Which if you are placed in the front room... Sounds like breakfast is in your room!! If you're looking for just a very simple bed and bit much more than this could be good. Be aware.... This place has shared bathrooms!!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
4  Thank Fulfillyourdream
Reviewed March 17, 2014

My friend and I stayed here for two nights at the beginning of our South America adventure. We arrived late at night but Yolanda quickly answered the gate and showed us to our rooms, gave us drinking water and made sure we were comfortable. Her and her husband Carlos were amazing to us. We speak zero Spanish but you still feel like you're able to communicate.

The complimentary breakfast is good -- eggs, fresh juice, coffee, tea, croissants, fruit, and the rooms are clean, spacious and comfortable. Because there are so few rooms, sharing a bathroom was not a big deal (and I typically prefer private ones). They were clean with hot showers (2 showers and 2 toilet stalls). The wifi is very good.

They went above and beyond to help us -- Carlos took us to Mitad del Mundo for a reasonable price and later went to the bus station by himself to buy our night tickets to Coca so we were good to go. Even though our bus was late in the night after we were supposed to check out, they let us stay in our room at no extra charge all day and gave us fresh towels. They let us use their phones and helped us call Spanish travel agencies to arrange our next trips. Carlos drove us to the bus station and waited with us until we were able to board.

This is the kind of business I love supporting. Thank you Yolanda and Carlos and family for such an amazing welcome to Ecuador!!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Shayla D
Reviewed March 14, 2014

I never write reviews but I had such a nice stay at Tambuca I had to spread the word about this hotel. The family is one of the nicest families you will ever meet. I had arranged with Yolanda to be picked up at the airport by her son Carlos.. But, I missed my flight! I thought for sure I would have to flag down a taxi and try and make my way to the hotel but Carlos had waited for me at the airport. I arrived at midnight and he waited 4 hours for me! As a female traveling alone in Ecuador this was such an amazing relief to have him there waiting patiently for my arrival. Then the airlines lost my luggage and Yolanda and her husband helped me call and talk with the airlines trying to recover my luggage. The entire family is so helpful and just really nice people. They can arrange rides to wherever you want to go for a decent price. The rooms are clean and breakfast was very good.. After backpacking around the country I felt like returning to Tambuca was like coming home.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo