“Nice place, Nicer people”
Review of Posada Tambuca

and 1 more site!
Posada Tambuca
Ranked #34 of 116 Hotels in Quito
Reviewed March 3, 2013

The hotel arranged for someone to pick us up from the airport when we arrived in Quito. The owner Yolanda helped us alot. She drove us to the bus station personally and gave us good information on what bus to take to Otavalo. Her sons Cesar and Carlos were also very helpful because they spoke english and gave us good information. We stayed 3 nights when we first arrived in Ecuador and also spent our last night with them. Carlos took us to the new airpot at 4am. The hotel was clean, and the breakfast was good everyday. The coffee was the best I had during my 18 day vacation. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a safe, comfortable place to stay. I plan on staying here again next year when I go back to Ecuador.

Room Tip: I think the rooms upstairs are quieter.
3  Thank KSE1953

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Hostal Tambuca has no rooms with private bathroom. The price is 32 $ which mysteriously increased to 36 $ + tax when I was going to pay. You can get a room with private bath for half that price in Quito. They offer transport to the airport for 12 $ which is the double price of a taxi with a meter. The worst in my opinion is that you can not get a key to the port and are dependent on a remote opening after pressing a bell - which does not work every time.
Rooms are clean and the breakfast is OK.
The many positive remarks must have come from friends of the hosts.

6  Thank Anon770
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Im still coming to grips with the raves about this hotel and so why was the experience so different for me? a fortress in the middle of Quito-cant complain about the security but sometimes having to wait to either enter or leave just isnt right-20 minutes waiting is not good enough-maybe provide keys to the door? i stayed downstairs and was kept awake all night by the occupants in the top room just walking-looking up in the morning the ply board may have contributed. Either way there are better places to stay in Quito-see my other hotel reviews

Room Tip: all i can say is not the bottom level
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Sue L
Reviewed February 13, 2013

I just returned from eight days in Ecuador. Our first and last nights were spend at the Posada Tambuca. I cannot say enough good about Yolanda. She is a bundle of energy, vary enthusiastic and will do everything to help you enjoy your stay at the Tambuca or in Quito. Now Yolanda does not speak too much English just so you know but that will not stop you from communicating with her. Caesar was away while I was there so I did not meet him.
Things to know: there are shared baths but are extremely clean. Lots of hot water. It is a quiet place but noise travels. Guests came in late and even if trying to be quiet you cannot help but hearing them. Breakfast was excellent, particularly a fruit that I never had before that Yolanda named but I cannot remember. And the coffee was real, not Nescafe. Good omlette too.
Yolanda was great about helping us get a taxi for the airport but a main street is one minute away so taxis are easy to get. The airport is 10 minutes away but that airport is closing in a matter of days. Who knows about the new one - it will be an hour from anywhere in Quito I hear.
The neighborhood is very nice as well. About five blocks away the area was jumping with restaurants and clubs. And reassuring is that one block away from the Tambuca within eyesight of it is a police station. Take the usual precautions and all should be fine.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank moirnh
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Yolanda and Caesar were such great hosts. They went way beyond what I expected. They picked us up at the airport. Yolanda drove us to the bus station. When Caesar couldn't get through on the phone to the taxi company, he ran down the street 4 blocks, hailed us a taxi and brought it back. Breakfast was really great too. Our room was nice.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

Tambuca is a nice place to stay while in Quito. The rooms are clean and a decent breakfast is included in the very reasonable price of $30 for a couple in a private room with a clean, shared bathroom. The walls are a bit thin, but not a big deal.

What makes the place exceptional is how helpful the hosts are, especially when we needed a ride to the airport at 5am in the morning to catch an early flight back to Canada. It was no problem for them to get up at about 4:45am and give us a ride when we really needed it!

Quito is a magnificent city. The colonial architecture, churches, museums and streets in the old town are stunning. The streets can be a bit dodgy, so don't flash your smart phone, tablet or money. Take taxis at night. The altitude at 9300 ft can make you sluggish if you are used to sea level, but don't let any of this prevent you from spending a few days exploring this amazing city. Tambuca is a $4 taxi ride from Old Town and a short walk to some good cafes and markets.

We stayed at Tambuca twice and will come back the next time we visit Equador.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

I've never such a clean house in Ecuador! The beds are cozy and comfortable. The hostal was quiet. The towels are clean and plush. The water is hot. Yolanda is as kind as a hostal host could possibly be. The included breakfast was plentiful and good. She is sweet, helpful, and willing to help her guests anyway she can. She even drove me to Rio Coca (a bus terminal) in the morning after my stay. The hostal is conveniently located walking distance to the Mariscal. (I mention in the title that they are close to the airport, however with the opening of the new airport this will change.)

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo