Tripadvisor
Quito

“Incredibly tasty food and great service”

Achiote Ecuador - Cuisine
Reserve a Table
Thu, 2/27
8:00 PM
Ranked #11 of 2,139 Restaurants in Quito
Cuisines: Ecuadorean
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: ACHIOTE ECUADOR-CUISINE, we are the entrepreneurship of a small Quito family that has an extensive culinary tradition, where you can not only enjoy Ecuadorian food, but also feel the warmth of a home and a country located in the heart of the Andes . The restaurant offers an unforgettable cultural experience, with an extensive menu of innovative recipes that includes vegetarian options and a diversity of flavors that challenge the palate and bring an exquisite and renewed touch to Ecuadorian cuisine. All this in an intimate atmosphere, accompanied by good music and bilingual attention; in one of the most emblematic neighborhoods of Quito, La Mariscal. The ingredients used are organic, endemic and of high quality, always subjected to a process of gourmet preparation that pays homage to a town that knows how to make the heart happy from the palate.
Reviewed January 21, 2020

Thanks to Bernardo at Hilton Colon for recommending Achiote which was about 10mins from the hotel (walking). When we arrived, Johanna was our waitress and saw us to a table by the window and so we could both see and enjoy the live guitar player.

Our meal started off with a little taster from the chef which was a nice touch. I then ordered the Llapingachos (a local Ecudorian dish) which came with avocado and my husband had the empanadas (which came with a taste spicy sauce) - delicious.
Whilst in the Galapogas our friends had recommended the Ecuadorian potato soup called Locro de papas (potato plus cheese & avocado). I absolutely loved it - rich, tasty and filling - yum. My husband enjoyed a meat dish.

Our waitress was excellent - professional, helpful (we don't speak Spanish and her English was brilliant), and smiley.

We loved our diner at Achiote and we were pleasantly surprised at the prices - affordable. Highly recommended.

2  Thank Nicki A
Write a reviewReviews (1,202)

Reviewed January 21, 2020

The best meal of our vacation in Ecuador. We were recommended to go to Achiote by Bernardo at Hilton Colon – and it is a short 15minute walk from the hotel. And, I easily booked this restaurant by emailing them. On arrival we were warmly greeted by Johanna who made our night wonderful – friendly, smiley and attentive – with perfect English (a relief as we don’t speak Spanish).

We were seated by the window and close to the live music – a beautiful singer who played the guitar – a perfect complement to our meal (not too loud, just right). Great to have live Ecuadorian music over dinner. A surprise to begin the evening’s meal was an amuse bouche of plantain and potato – delicious. For starters, my husband and I shared (1) Llapingachos, served with avocado and (2) chicken empanadas – which Johanna recommended we try with the spicy salsa sauce provided – really yummy! Both starters were really enjoyable. For main course, I had the Locro de papas (potato soup with cheese and avocado) – an Ecuadorian specialty. OMG, what an amazing soup – rich, hearty, tasty – a meal in itself and I devoured it with gusto. My husband had the pork which he enjoyed.

During our evening, Johanna would check that everything was okay. At the conclusion of the meal she gave us local Quito sweets and offered to order us a taxi. She was brilliant.

Achiote was a wonderful experience in every way AND not an expensive one for the above plus water and beer was less than $50USD. Highly recommended. (Suggestion to the restaurant – please put the full menu with prices. We walked to the restaurant earlier in the day to look at this but it would be more convenient to have on the website vs just a few photos of selected dishes).

2  Thank 413jenniel
Reviewed January 21, 2020

Friendly Staff, GF friendly and medium price point. The food was amazing and portion sizes reasonable.

Reviewed January 20, 2020 via mobile

I was with my friend looking for a place where we could find an Ecuadorian culinary experience. We stumbled with Achiote and gave it a try. The empanada sampler was marvelous. It was my first time tasting cuy and wow, I can say it was good. I highly recommend this place. Very good service and quality of food.

Reviewed January 18, 2020

Perhaps, it was good before but no longer. There seems to be little pride in what they do anymore, and it was telling that all four tables on a Saturday night were tourists, not a single local eating there.
The menu was tattered and falling apart, not a good sign.
Based on a recent review, I opted for Sweet Potato option which came with a small salad. The dish obviously had potential but was poorly cooked and so bland as to be anonymous. The cooked vegetables ‘salad’ was so overcooked that the vegetables were like mush. And there was no topping/sauce or spices to make it a salad rather than cooked veggies.
The service was non-existent, and halfway through my meal at about 9:30pm they started clearing and moving tables close to me in an unsubtle hint to eat quickly and leave.
Give it a miss, there are many far better places to eat in Quito.