“Hostel that is difficult to leave.”

Colonial House Quito
Ranked #11 of 233 Quito B&B and Inns
Canoa, Ecuador
“Hostel that is difficult to leave.”
Reviewed February 14, 2014

Relaxed hostel in the heart of Quito. Staff is very nice and family running the hostel lovely to meet and experience Ecuadorean life. Hostel has great location close to everything,but it's garden makes you forget that you are in the big city. Loved the nights by the fire in the garden, many kitchens you can cook for yourself, market close by to buy fruit and vegetables very cheap, helpfully staff, home like atmosphere. Deffinetely place to stay in Quito..

• Stayed December 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Lenzburg, Switzerland
Reviewed February 6, 2014

I really enjoyed staying at Colonial House! Ornelia, the owner was so nice and helpful, so were the volunteers. They gave their best to make me feel at home. My room was clean and comfortable. The hostal is close to the historical center of quito, and when this beautiful city gets too busy for you you can go back to the hostal and relax in the garden with the two bunnies :)

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 30, 2014

We would highly recommend this hostel-it's close to the Old Town and market, the staff (mostly volunteers) are really helpful, and the breakfast will really set you up for the day. The staff also arranged an airport pickup for us, which we arranged by email. We stayed for 6 nights & had no problems.

Room Tip: Staying in rooms at the front of the building means you get lots of morning noise-use your earplugs!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Nat2001
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed January 18, 2014

I really loved Colonial House! I stayed there on and off during November 2013, as I was traveling to places like the Amazon and Cloud Forest from Quito. Probably did a total of 10 or more nights. I am single woman traveling alone and felt super safe and comfortable there. I'm also older, so not a backpacker, and they have private comfortable rooms with private bathrooms. I stayed in Rm 9. It is above the office so has great wifi in the room. There is kind of a boho vibe and a host of young international volunteers that run the reception. Everyone is super kind and helpful. There is a very hearty breakfast for $3.50 if you sign up the night before. You can leave your luggage in a locked storeroom when you make short trips elsewhere. Go up to the top floor to the community kitchen and see an amazing view of the Basilica and the historic downtown. They have nice patio garden out back with bunnies hopping around. They will also do you laundry by the pound. Be sure to meet "Moo", a cutie little puppy that was rescued while I was there. She turned from the most unlucky puppy into the luckiest puppy overnight! You can get Spanish lessons there too, an outside person comes in for privates as requested.

You are in the historical part of town and about a 10 min walk right into the downtown and main plaza. The immediate neighborhood feels a little sketchy at first, but it really is not once you get acclimated. Take time to walk up and down the streets right there, very sweet narrow colonial streets that are residential. Walk straight down Olmedo into town, it's about 3 or 4 blocks downhill and the road sort of dead ends into a sporting center, but really just veer left and Olmedo continues. You can take this right into the center of the historic old town and turn left on Guayaquil to go to the Grand Plaza. I always came home this way, even after dark and felt quite safe, staying on Olmeda helped me not to get lost on the dark streets.

The house is very old so an odor comes out of the pipes, especially if you haven't taken a shower recently it can be stinky coming from the shower. Just keep the bathroom door closed and know that the smell is normal for that age house and pipes, and it's better if you run some water down the drain. I always had a nice hot shower.

I would stay here anytime I returned to Quito and have already sent 2 sets of friends there.

Room Tip: I think rooms facing the garden are probably the quietest, but I was on the street and liked it just...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Traveler18427
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed January 15, 2014 via mobile

I was there for one night only. I got the room right above the street which was cool. I can't really give anymore stars because I found that the hostel was very musty and dirty. Please buy some new bedding or something.
The rain in Quito was relentless so I just booked a flight for Manta to hit the beach and warm weather. The people that work there are nice though. The owner not so much.

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Our little family of three stayed at the Colonial House for about a week and we were there on Christmas Day. From the very beginning to the last night we felt at home and were treated like family. All of the staff made us feel comfortable and taken care of, especially for me who was sick the first few days adjusting to the altitude of Quito. Their breakfast here is top notch and very filling; fresh fruit, yogurt, juice and granola with eggs and bread...! We stayed in a room by the garden and had a wonderful view of Teleferiqo and woke up to the song of birds every morning. Rooms are clean and well kept. Thank you to Paulina and little Valentina for their hospitality and kindness and making us feel welcome during our stay in Quito!

Room Tip: Consider asking for a room by the garden.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

This was our first stop on our travels through South America and we were so happy with our choice that we came back here later when we passed through Quito again.
The breakfast was nice but small, so I'd recommend stocking up at the supermarket and using the perfectly well equipped kitchens.
The showers DO have hot water but there is a knack - turn the tap slooooooowly until the lights dim and there you go :) If that freaks you out, South America is not for you.
The location is good - from the bus stops nearby you can catch a bus to most places. We were in two minds about whether the area was truly dodgy after dark or whether we were just nervous because it was our first visit to Quito and we weren't sure what to expect, but the owners do warn you not to go out after about nine without a taxi, and to wait for that taxi inside.
All in all a good choice in Quito.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple