“A Wonderful Restaurant”

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed December 1, 2013

My husband had read about this restaurant on Trip Advisor and we finally went and we were not disappointed. We had a warm welcome. The owner recommended their specialty and we ordered it and it had a salad, potato, a great piece of steak with 2 salas. We also ordered drinks I had mora juice and my husband had Coke Zero. We were pleased with the atmosphere and it is close to where we live. We highly recommend this restaurant. It is in a safe neighbor. Close to the JW Marriott Hotel.

Reviewed November 29, 2013

I was advised by the hotel to try La Casa de mi Abuela. I was not disappointed! This is a simple, yet tastefully appointed restaurant that once belonged to the owner´s grandmother. As a result, there is a lot of love and care that shows when you walk into this little gem. It was located about 1 1/2 blocks from the JW Marriott. Very safe and easy for a single woman traveling alone to find after dark.

When I walked in I was greeted by the owner and his wife. The restaurant was quiet as the owners had reopened after doing an interior renovation on their hard woood floor. The owners suggested the house speciality - Solomillo. The dish is their signature beef that is cooked to perfection and served with an optional sauce. It also came with a very small baked potato, a scoop of rice, a small garnish of yellow cabbage, and a salad. The baked potato had an excellent optional white cheese sauce (not rich - just right!)

The food was terrific, but I didn´t care for the salad dressing. It contained just a bit too much vinegar for my taste. I also had a wonderful, simple vegetable soup in a clear chicken broth as an appetizer before dinner. I loved the soup! It warmed me up after a day of touring Quito in a light, but continual drizzle.

I would totally recommend this restaurant to anyone who wants true Ecuador hospitality and excellent food! The owners are gracious (and speak excellent English - which puts my less than adequate Spanish to shame!) Enjoy!

Reviewed November 26, 2013

On a recent trip to Quito, a co-worker suggested this venue for lunch. The steak was absolutely fantastic; one of the best I've ever experienced anywhere in the world! The owners and family are super friendly and provide excellent service. Definitely a "must go to" restaurant. I'll be back on my next visit to Quito... don't know when that will be, but my mouth is already watering!

Reviewed October 26, 2013

The restaurant is located near the JW Marriott and the Mariscal Foch, so easy to get to but slightly hidden in a medium sized, simple house.

Visiting the restaurant several times, I must say it is simply great! For me there is truly nothing to argue about, that the food is prepared exceptional and it is hard to stop eating. The food was always fresh and perfectly seasoned, especially the steak. All members of the parties, where always 100% satisfied.

The service in the home style decoration restaurant was always very attentive. I had as well the chance to meet the owners, who are extremely kind and humble people. As the owners talk good English, my friends had never a problem to order (I speak as well Spanish).

I can highly recommend this restaurant as the food/experience is outstanding. I am surprised that the place was not always well visited when I have eaten there. I really cannot understand that, then on top of my experience the price is very good.

Go and enjoy!

Reviewed October 24, 2013

After seeing all the excellent reviews for La Casa de mi Abuela, my husband and I decided to give it a whirl. We were not disappointed! One of the best steaks either of us have had (and we are picky). Well seasoned and excellent quality. The portion size is very generous and you simply can't beat the price! We also loved the environment, you truly feel like you're eating in your grandma's house! It's adorable.

I will agree with the other reviews that say that the sides are truly nothing special. But they are no means bad. Our steak came with french fries, baked potatoes, side salads, and 2 sauces for the steak (which we used on our potatoes since the steak didn't need anything).

Overall, an excellent experience. We will definitely be back and would highly recommend it!