“Just perfect nothing else we can say”

La Casa de mi Abuela
Ranked #108 of 1,324 Restaurants in Quito
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Miami, Florida
“Just perfect nothing else we can say”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

Wow i eent today for dinner and it was incredible. I read all the reviews and follow tips when ordering our meal.
Everything was great, but the best of the best was the solomillo". A must try.

• Visited May 2013

London
“Superb food and Excellent Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

We arrived in Quito a week ago and decided that last night was the time for a meat feast. We were not disappointed! Having spent quite a bit of time in Argentina and eaten some great steaks there, we were a little apprehensive that the steak in Ecuador would not compare well. We need not have worried as this place really knows how to cook steak. We opted for the house speciality of solemillo para dos which, at $13 a head, was a bargain. The steak was cooked exactly as requested, medium rare, beautifully charred on the outside and pink in the middle. One of the most flavoursome steaks I have eaten in a long while.

The accompaniments were excellent too. Potatoes, pickled cabbage and a crisp ensalada mixta with a really delicious dressing complemented the steak perfectly. All washed down with two ice cold beers which at $1.80 where half the price of some nearby bars.

The ambience of the place is as implied from the name, like a home from home. The owner was charming and very friendly and the service faultless. We ate early at around 7.30 at which time there were three other couples eating. I imagine it gets busier later on at the "normal" dinner time in South America.

We are here in Quito for a while so I have no doubt we will return, probably many times..

• Visited May 2013
Reading, United Kingdom
“Excellent steak”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

I had a very nice meal here. The steak was as good as I expected having read the 5-star reviews that led me to try this restaurant. The service was good and friendly. The restaurant could do with a bit of redecoration but I guess the owners like it the way it is. If you like meat I recommed give it a try.

• Visited April 2013
Missouri, USA
“Excellent meal for a lot less than you might expect”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

After reading the reviews previously posted, my husband and I decided to walk from the Holiday Inn Express to La Casa de mi Albuela after a day touring Quito on the hop on-hop off bus. What a wonderful meal! We ordered the house special which was a tenderloin cooked to our specifications, baked potatoes, salads and rice. The proprietor was very kind and was able to speak with us in English.

After we gorged ourselves on the meal, he offered and we declined dessert, but he also offered an end-of-meal green apple liqueur which was the perfect top off to the meal. This is a place that is a true carnivore's nirvana.

We did have to knock for entry, but there was a sign directing us to the side indicating they were "open." We ate early, by South American standards, and were the only table in the house. By the time we were finished, another couple had arrived. The total tab for the meal for two, a juice and a beer was <$36.00. We thought some American steakhouses could take away some pointers from this small place. It was fantastic!

I would highly recommend this establishment for a quiet, fine meal and we may well return after our Galapagos trip.

• Visited April 2013
“Great beef and excellent hosts”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

My son and I had dinner at La Casa de mi Abuela, which was unknown by the concierge of the Marriott (only two blocks away). We loved the homey interior. After being in restaurants cartering to large tour groups, this small place with tables for four was a great reprieve. It is very quiet, so be prepared. We ordered the beef specialty ($13 per person) and ate everything in sight! The owners are very hospitable and spent time speaking with us (in Spanish). We also had the lemon pie dessert - which was terrific. The only expensive item was a bottle of wine ($26), but we expected that. I highly recommend this place if you are looking for good food, well prepared, in a quiet location.

Visited March 2013