“A restaurant the whole family enjoyed”

La Casa de mi Abuela
Ranked #120 of 1,375 Restaurants in Quito
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Boston, MA
“A restaurant the whole family enjoyed”
Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

Traveling with my kids makes meal time a challenge; to say they are picky is an understatement. We took a taxi to this off-the-beaten path restaurant and we were there right as it opened so we were the only ones there (the place began to fill as we were leaving). The menu is very limited, but we all wanted steak so it was fine. Our server--it appeared to be run by a husband and wife team--encouraged us to get just three orders for the four of us. So glad we did! The meal was huge and we still had steak left! The food was simple enough that all four of us liked it yet different from any steak I've had back home. The outside was deliciously crusty and the inside quite tender. We ordered medium rare, which was quite red. But my son still declared it "heavenly." The salad that comes with it was fresh and the potatoes were a big hit. At the end of the meal, the husband even came out to help us hail a cab. Super nice people. Super nice meal.

Shawnee, Oklahoma
“Incredible Steak”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

We just finished dinner and it is the best steak in Ecuador by fare and very comparable to the best in USA. It is a "not to miss" if you like steak. We had the speciality of the house(Lomo Fino). Service was good and we felt welcome at this special place.

• Visited January 2013
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
“Come here if you like steak”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

We stayed at a hotel a few blocks away (the Eugenia) and decided to try this place on our last night in Quito. It is a very unassuming from the outside, but nicely appointed on the inside. The menu is very limited, and when my wife thought she might want chicken it was not available. We went with the lomo filo (tenderloin steak) which is the restaurant's calling card. It was cooked as ordered, a bit oversalted for me (but not for my wife), but tender and delicious. If not "the best steak I've ever eaten" (as advertised in the restaurant's window), it certainly ranks in the top three. After the meal we had a lovely chat with one of the owners about the restaurant, American politics and other things. She knew just enough English and we just enough Spanish to get through to each other. It was one of those "aha" moments when you realize that people are basically the same wherever you go.

• Visited January 2013
Quito, Ecuador
“Best restauran in QUITO”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

The meet!! Is the best in QUITO!! My father and grandpa know this restaurant!!! It's the best meet in Quito.. It's a ancient restaurant a typical food in my country!!! U love it!! It is the best.. And the customer service is one of the best I have seen.. Even the beautiful owner serve u!!! I love the place, the service, the sever, everything!! U have to visit it!!! Come over!!!! It's worth It!!! I'm from Quito!! And I know this kind of places!! This one of the best in Quito... Come and visit it!!!

Calgary, Canada
“Great steak”
Reviewed January 17, 2013

We had dinner here one night ,the food was great and the service very friendly. The menu was very small, only a few other options if you not looking for steak. We had the Lomo Fino and it was juicy, cooked the way we ordered it and very good. If your not looking for the restaurant you would walk right by it, as it just looks like someones house. Worth a visit if you craving a great steak.

• Visited December 2012