All reviews banana bread horse riding waterfall hike hobbit house hill house night package pizza night private cabana volunteer staff family style hot tub daily activities stayed longer fellow travelers surrounding mountains south america sg
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The first day at this hostel site left me smiling at a lot of little things. While it's pricey for a hostel, I do feel you get you're money's worth with the 3 day package deal. Communal soup bowls, free-range dogs, and lack of wi-fi appeal to Bohemian sensibilities. Super comfortable beds. The novelty of hobbit homes is fun, and I like that during the day it's a nice place to sit and read for a while. I wish they had more food options, I was often left hungry after hikes or meals, I'd have paid more for an extra meal.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I rarely "gush" in all my years of travelling but am finding it very hard not to since my return home to Otavalo . Having recently re-located to Ecuador from Canada, I have been hunting for wonderful places to bring/send friends/family when they come to visit. The Secret Garden is definitely such a place. No one could possibly return home disappointed with the quirky accommodation, so warm & cosy (I stayed in a Hobbit House), the welcoming staff & volunteers, amazing food (you must try the guinea pig pizza!), the interesting & fun activities & don't get me started on the stunning views of the great COTAPAXI. The ONLY negative for the entire 3 days was no way are you going to get a boiling cup of tea as anyone British would insist, but the morning coffee was weak & insipid at best.

Room tip: Book The Hobbit House if you can, there are only 3 but where else will you get the chance.
Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Nice place to have fun and make friends! Amazing view with the hammock! Happy hours every night! You should come and stay here a couple days and explore old Quito. We met incredible people !!! People from around the world

Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

You can't beat the location at SCG-- easy access ( and guides) to so many different mountains, a waterfall, and other activities!The food was delicious, we LOVED the coffee and tea available all day long.

It's a beautiful space, warm and inviting. The staff was helpful, but I agree with a few other reviews, the volunteers were a mixed bag. some of them ( looking at you, Annie and Josh!) go the extra mile and were so kind and helpful and informational. Others just weren't super friendly-- maybe disinterested is the best word? Which, all things considered, isn't really a big deal but it was a little rude/strange on a few occasions. It stands out because Ollie and others are so kind and welcoming.

Our one piece of constructive feedback would be offering some kind of shorter afternoon activity. Once you get back from your morning hike/adventure, you have many free hours (2-whenever you go to sleep) and it's over an hour on a very bumpy road to the nearest village--plus you don't have a vehicle. What if there were additional walks in the afternoon that focused on botany or birds or the volcanic history of the area ( can you tell I'm a scientist? :) )Or even something like crafts using local fallen leaves or painting? A little free time is awesome, but we found ourselves craving more activities being so isolated from town. Maybe bikes so that can folks can take a bike ride on their own?

The rooms are definitely shabby chic, but the water pressure was good and the water was hot. Our bathroom was a closet with a door that didn't close, so for anyone wanting privacy it's a bit tricky. The fire at night was very nice, but it definitely heats the place up! It was a little cramped for us but if you're a social person there's always the common space to go be in.

Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I stayed at Secret Garden Cotopaxi with my girlfriend in the birdhouse with the 3 days,2 nights package. The view from our room was amazing, the view from the bathroom was amazing, as well as the view from the shower and the jaccuzi and the common room. Everywhere you go on the Secret Garden property you are amazed by the beautifull views and the flowers and other nature you find there.
The food was good and the people from SGC are accomodating to everybody's wishes (vegan, lactose free, you dont like peanuts,...).
Concidering the activities: we did the waterfall hike at the beginning, then the Pasechoa hike and finished with the horseback riding and we found all of these activities to be really beautiful. And when I forgot my phone in the car on the way back from the horseback riding the staff from SGC really went out of their way to get it back to me while I was already traveling back to Quito.
There's really not a negative point that comes to mind when thinking about our stay at SGC.
Very much recommended.