“If there is a heaven on earth, this is it!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Quito
San Jorge Eco-Lodge & Botanical Reserve
Ranked #23 of 111 Hotels in Quito
Houston
“If there is a heaven on earth, this is it!”
Reviewed December 4, 2009

We were treated like 'long lost' family from the first moment of arrival. Wonderful, timely attention. Always enough and never too much. Our rustic, pretty room was charming and comfortable, with an old fashioned fire in the fireplace with welcoming warmth. Our room opened up to a beautiful authentic hacienda hallway. The staff was always courteous and very helpful with any request.
Nothing could have prepared us with how delicious the food was. Fresh local fish, meat, vegetables, fruits of many varieties. Presentation and taste were wonderful.
The location of the lodge was 20 minutes from the airport but out of the city and set into a woodsey reserve that was brimming with many varieties of hummingbirds. Do not go without a camera. The grounds were beautiful and hiking paths fun.
The atmosphere was peaceful and relaxed. There were nice views of the city and snowcapped volcanoes. We are postponing next years Europe vacation to return to this magical spot.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jivebug

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Denver, CO
Reviewed November 30, 2009

My mother in law and I went to Ecuador just 3 days ahead of the rest of our family before our trip to the Galapagos. We are both bird/wildlife enthusiasts so we searched for the best place to maximize our three days. I believe we did find the best way to do so at the San Jorge eco lodge, Tandayapa and Milpe lodges. We couldn't have enjoyed it anymore.

Upon arrival at 10:40 pm we were enthusiastically greeted by Jose. He happily answered all of our questions and gave us even more interesting tidbits as we made our short journey to the San Jorge Eco Lodge. He told us about the new airport that is being built and stopped to show us an oven for handmaking adobe bricks. When we arrived at our room, there was a nice fire lit in the fireplace, two beds and a large bathroom. In the morning we were greeted by our guide for the day, Dani. He was very nice and we all talked over a pleasant breakfast. We had an amazing first day of birding, Dani was very knowledgeable and good at spoting lots of birds. The morning we walked around the property at the lodge, in the afternoon we drove along the famous Nono-Mindo road and stopped for lots of birdwatching. When we stopped for lunch at a small picnic area we were lucky enough to see the cock of the rock. We ended our jouney that day with some amazingly up close views of hummingbirds at the Tandayapa Lodge. The hike up to this lodge was long and uphill but it was all worth it. After a great dinner with lots of delicious food, we settled into our very comfortable room.

The next morning we woke up early to start birding at the hummingbird feeders, shortly after Jorge showed up to help us identify them. We saw over 20 species of birds before breakfast! Then we went on a hike around this property where we again added many species to our list of birds, but Jorge had so much knowledge about everything we learned about so much more than birds. He was like a well rounded teacher, he told us everything from birds to plants to history to culture. At lunch we learned even more, talking about evolution and how the environment changed over thousands of years. We arrived at the Milpe lodge and were surrounded by all sorts of new birds. That night we went for a night hike where we saw an opposum and a few other creatures we wouldn't have seen during the day. We even heard two different owl calls as they responded to Jorge's calls, he was an expert at mimicking bird calls, a man of many talents.

The new lodges at Milpe were beautiful and spacious. We had a great night sleep and then got up early again to a great variety of new birds. Between the garden near the parking lot and the tip of the hill we saw over 40 species of birds and a gigantic millipede. After breakfast we went for a short hike to find a potoo but it had left the spot where it was sleeping for the past two months. On our trip back to Quito we stipped at the Mindo Lindo lodge for our last hummingbird viewing/photographing. Can you believe we saw 2 new species here, which made 29 types of hummingbirds in 3 days!! Amazing.

In 3 days we saw almost 150 different species of birds and a few other animals. We met lots of amazing people on our trip and hope to have a life long friendship with Jorge. I would recommend this trip and the lodges to anyone, especially as a stop along the way to the Galapagos. Speaking from experience you will enjoy it almost as much or maybe even as much as your trip to the Galapagos.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank pinnipedlover
WI
Reviewed November 27, 2009

I stayed there 2 nights 2/13-14/2007. I’m a bird watcher so I chose to pay considerably more than in Quito to be able to start looking for birds right away the first morning. I paid $189 for a pickup at the airport and for a single for 2 nights. Meals were extra and it cost $5 per day to use their adjacent 200 acre private reserve.
The best things about it were the staff, especially the woman who waited 3 hours until midnight at the airport for my plane to arrive late. I also dealt mostly with her at the lodge. Cheryl Korowotny was very helpful making the arrangements, but very unhelpful after I left, which is my main complaint and why I wouldn’t recommend staying there. The problems started when I left a jacket in my room. I won’t give all the details, but she had 2 opportunities to get it to my other Quito hotel about 10 miles away. Both times she said she would but didn’t. The second was more than 2 weeks after my stay and I made a special detour through Quito traffic only to find it not there. Finally she offered to mail it back to the US for $60. It seemed like she saw this as an opportunity to gouge me. This is all ironic because I brought a large suitcase stuffed with some 20 items of clothing for the people of Ecuador, as suggested on their web site.
You’d pretty much want to take meals there, as I didn’t see any restaurants nearby. The food was good, cooked in a tiny kitchen off the dining room which is in a separate building downhill from the rooms. I don’t remember what I paid for the meals. The room was quaint and very basic, unheated (with an open bathroom window that I couldn’t close) and a sign in the room said to run the water for 20 minutes to get hot water. I didn’t really mind this, figuring I was in a more typical Ecuadorian hotel (after all it is a poor country) and feeling good that I was helping preserve some of the wonderful wild land of this country (they have 1600+ bird species compared to some 800 in all of north of Mexico!)
The property is located in the hills west of the airport, which you can see from the trails above the lodge. I think it is at -0° 7' 3.14", -78° 31' 24.00" in Google (both A
San Jorge Eco Lodge Quito pins in Google maps are incorrect).
The grounds are extensive and pretty, with a tinge of run-down feeling, but not objectionable. From the parking lot, you walk maybe 100 ft along a nice walkway with plants and flowers to the rooms building to a big door that leads to a longish courtyard encircled by the rooms. Very Spanish and pretty. The office and restaurant are well downhill from here via a switchbacked paved path. This is also pretty, with a big patio with well-used hummingbird feeders. At 10,800 ft, I had to go slowly to get back to the upper level!
I think I was the only one staying there the first night and I only saw 1 or 2 other lodgers.
As for birds, I’d say the reserve would be a good day trip from Quito if you are not going birding anywhere west/northwest of Quito. I had trouble finding the reserve from the lodge and ended up walking a small road above the lodge most of the day. I saw
Great Thrush, Sparkling Violetear, Eared Dove, Cinereous Conebill, Black-tailed Trainbearer, Rufous-collared Sparrow, Black Flowerpiercer, Stripe-throated Hermit,
Hooded Siskin, Brown-bellied Swallow, American Kestrel, Tufted Tit-Tyrant, Azara's Spinetail, Shining Sunbeam, Yellow-breasted Brush-Finch, Crimson-mantled Woodpecker, Masked Flowerpiercer.

• Stayed February 2007, traveled solo
12 Thank marcoWI
USA
Reviewed November 24, 2009

To San Jorge Lodge:

Thank you so much for making our visit to Ecuador extra special. We were amazed and delighted with your beautiful lodge and extra friendly and accommodating staff, especially Jose. He was very helpful, informative all combined with a very pleasant personality.

The guides were very impressive, Renato and Patricia we very good at their jobs and full of knowledge. I hope Renato is recovered from the torture I put him through on our mountain bike ride.

You can be sure when we visit Quito again we will be staying with you. We will highly recommend San Jorge Lodge to our friends as well.

Again, many thanks and we wish you all the best!

Michael Todisco & Debra Todisco
69 Winter Street Hopkinton MA

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank michaeltodisco
Kent WA
Reviewed November 4, 2009

My wife and I spent a week birding with Jorge in Ecuador. He has three lodges at different elevations, we stayed at all three and saw birds from a variety of climate zones. Each site has comfortable rooms and excellent meals. We were up early each day checking feeders and hiking the trails near the lodge. After lunch we rested for a couple of hours and then more birding before dinner. We started at the lodge near Quito (9500 ft) less than 20 minutes from the airport. We had just come from sea level (seattle) so the second day we went down in elevation on the Nono/Mindo road to Tandayapa Lodge near (5000 ft) where we spent 2 nights. There are lots of humming bird feeders with 20+ species as well as trails along the mountain side. Jorge was quick to hear and spot the birds for us. The third lodge is Milpe near Mindo about (3000 ft) with forest and creek side trails. We birded early morning again and got 55+ species before breakfast. We went back to the Quito lodge for our last nignt. Now that we were acclimated we were comfortable birding above 12000 ft the last day on the Inca Trail. These are private lodges owned by Jorge (Dr George Cruz) on his private lands so the trails are not busy with other birders. He calls it the Miracle Birding Circuit and the meals are exceptional. We have birded in Costa Rica and Kenya as well as much of the US. Birding in Ecuador with Jorge was special and we made a new friend as well.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tbirder
texas
Reviewed October 26, 2009

San Jorge is an eco-lodge in the Pinchicha hills just 15 minutes outside of Quito, but it feels as if you are worlds away from the huge capital of Ecuador. The setting is beautiful with many native plants & flowers, as well as several varieties of birds, especially hummingbirds. It is very quiet and peaceful at the lodge.

The room was very homey and comfortable. The heat was on when we arrived and the bed was extremely comfy and hard to leave! We enjoyed sitting on the patio and having the hummingbirds fly around us. The meals are superb, the staff is very professional and took very good care of us. We also enjoyed walking around the area and hiking to the falls. It was a very enjoyable stay. Jose was very, very accommodating and saw to our every need.

The only negative things to be aware of are the drive up to the lodge, which can be scary in a taxi, and also the fact that you are isolated and must eat all your meals at the lodge, which can be expensive, compared to eating in Quito. However, I understand that you can arrange a package stay which includes everything. I recommend contacting the US representative, Cheryl, and making all your arrangements in advance, which we didn't do.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Winni50
ma usa
Reviewed September 1, 2009

Our family of 5 including 2 teenage boys and a teenage girl had a great time at the3 San Jorge lodges. We were picked up at the Quito airport at night and driven to the Hosteria San Jorge where we spent the 1st night. Our rooms were very clean the decor was charming and we had a great view of the city and volcanoes.The next day after a great breakfast we toured the old part of Quito in the morning and then went to the middle of the world musuem which is on the equator. Everyone enjoyed our tour with Gorge and the museum. After a delicious lunch, we rode bikes to the Tandayapa Lodge. The bikes were well maintained and we were provided with helmets and gloves. The scenery was beautiful and the ride was very peaceful with virtually no traffic. The next morning Gorge took us birding before breakfast and we were able to see many species of birds. During breakfast our whole family enjoyed watching the hundreds of hummmingbirds at the feeders and other species eating the bananas. After a morning hike on the trails around the lodge, we reluctantly left the hummingbirds of Tandayapa for Milpe and the tropical rainforest. Toucans ,parrots,and many different bird species were our reward for our early wake up. After breakfast we hiked to the waterfalls swam in the river and enjoyed the gorgeous scenery. At lunch we were again entertained by the hummingbirds and a pair of tayras feeding on bananas. We were driven back to the Quito lodge for our last night and driven back to the airport the next morning for our flight. Jorge was a super guide. He was extemely knowledgeable about the area, the history ,the birds ,the flora and fauna and he was great with the kids. The staff at each lodge was friendly and very helpful and all of our meals were excellent . Everyone made sure we had a great time and we look foward to going back and going to the Amazon with Jorge as our guide.

Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank lovetotravelMaUsa
Also consider these accommodations in or near Quito
El Abrazo del Arbol
Vieja Cuba
Vieja Cuba
#18 of 111 in Quito
Casa Joaquin Boutique Hotel

Been to San Jorge Eco-Lodge & Botanical Reserve? Share your experiences!