“Wonderful Staff”

Hostal Quito Cultural
Ranked #19 of 247 Quito B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 20, 2013

I liked this hotel and especially liked the staff and Alicia the owner. She made me feel like family. I left this hotel to stay in another hotel but came back as I realized that this hotel was better. The breakfast was good, the beds were comfortable and WiFi was better than the other hotel. The rooms on the street side can be noisy but by 9 pm all was quiet on the street. The door to the hotel must be unlocked by staff which is very secure but also a bit of a pain to not be able to go in and out freely.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank archsusie

Reviewed September 2, 2013

Excellent location and good surroundings!!
The building is amazing and the bedrooms are comfortable.
Literally walk out of the door and you're on to the main streets and squares.
Breakfast was fine, nothing special, but the coffee got you started for the day!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank rpardoroques
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I booked into this hostel/hotel for 2 nights and ended up staying there for an additional 7 nights instead of moving around to other properties. That should indicate how much I liked this property. I loved the location and found it very convenient to all of the bus transportation routes. You can travel everywhere by bus for .25 cents. Taxis are cheap for short distances ($2-$3.00) but if you want to travel to the North of Quito where the shopping malls, business offices, embassies, and major hotel chains are located - the bus is the best answer. However be prepared to stand most of the way as the seats fill quickly. Hostal Quito Cultural is close to a number of good restaurants, coffee shops, tour operators, and stores. If you like to people watch and to mix and mingle with the locals this is the place to be. In the evenings the streets are filled with hundreds of local people visiting the coffee shops, restaurants, musical extravaganzas, and political rallies. I found GringoLand (La Mariscal) to be boring in comparison. The bed was comfortable and there were plenty of blankets for the cool nights. The bathroom was clean and there was lots of hot water except during the day when they seem to shut off the hot water as a green, conservation move. The WI-FI works great. After reading some comments about noise in other reviews I requested a room on the third floor looking out over the pedestrian street rather than the bus route (electrified and quiet not diesel - smoky and noisy). The noise did not bother me but I am not a light sleeper. The breakfast was as described in other reviews. My main concern with this property was a lack of English on the part of most of the staff. My Spanish is limited and there was only one staff member who spoke English. However, I found this to be true throughout Ecuador. The owner is delightful and always willing to give advice. The San Blas area is about a 10 minute walk from the hostel and this is where I found the best Tour Operators (English speaking) located. If you want to book a discount trip to the Galapagos this is the place to do it. You can save hundreds of dollars this way instead of pre-booking over the internet. I booked two local tours. One to the Otavalo markets on Saturday and one to the thermal hot springs up in the mountains. In short you cannot do better than a stay at this hotel if you want to stay where the action is.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Hardoil
Reviewed August 16, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for our first two nights in Quito. The location couldn't have been better, right in the heart of old town. What we enjoyed most were the couches outside the rooms facing the courtyard. From Therese used the wifi to plan the rest of the trip as well as spent an evening playing the guitar they have laying around. Dominique, one of the hotel employees spoke fluent English and was able to give us suggestions on where to go eat. He also helped us translate when we were booking an airline ticket. The breakfast each morning was great with bread, juice, cheese, espresso and an omelette with ham and peppers. It is not the ritziest hotel inQuito but the "premium bedding" was clean, comfortable and hilarious. (Ours was a Zebra print motif) it made up for that by being friendly, comfortable, secure with INCREDIBLE views and the perfect location. If we ever find ourselves in Quito again, no question we are staying here.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Joshua C
Hostal Q, Guest Relations Manager at Hostal Quito Cultural, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Thanks for the positive respons you have given us and our hostal!!!

It has been a pleasure having you here in the hostal and we as Hostal Quito Cultural want to send you all the best wishes for the future. Ofcourse, you´re always welcome to come and visit us in the future.

Best Regards

Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed at Hostal Quito for the first night of our trip, left for a couple of nights to the cloud forest and then came back. We were in 306 the first night and 206 for the next five. We loved it. Great views! We had a room to ourselves and a private bathroom. Everything very clean. We found this to be more of a hotel than a hostal. Our room was warm and we had lots of Alpaca blankets on our bed. Loved those so much managed to SQUEEZE a couple into our suitcases to bring home. (Purchased at Octavolo market) We always had hot water. Breakfast was served quickly. Consisted of a large glass of fresh fruit juice, coffee, a roll with cheese and then followed with a small but adequate omelette. Staff was friendly and helpful. We have poor Spanish skills so we did use translator on computer to help us once. They were great with directions and bus transfer info to wherever we wanted to go. Walk out the main door and can go in any direction to many restaurants and stores. Very good location. Two blocks from Plaza Grande. In the heart of Old Town. Definitely recommend.

Room Tip: Rooms in front of hotel, since on main road, may be noisier than rooms at back.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Hostal Q, Guest Relations Manager at Hostal Quito Cultural, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Thank you very much for your good recommendations!

It´s great to hear you have had a good time in our hostal and the places you have visited in Ecuador. As the staff of our beautifull hostal we would like to thank you as well. Hope to see you again in the future, for sure you´re welcome!

Saludos

Reviewed August 5, 2013

As I had read in other reviews, the rooms on the street are noisy. So when i made my reservation I specifically asked for a room in the back on the third floor and they indicated this is what i would get. When I got there the very lovely and warm owner greeted me and proceeded to have her assistant direct me to a second floor room, right on the street. My head was splitting open from the altitude and i wanted to just lay down and recover, but the room was NOISY overlooking a busy street. Then once the traffic died down, the owners lovely family had their dinner right underneath my room, they sounded quite happpy but it made it very difficult to sleep. The inner courtyard is lovely, her art is lovely. Other reviews say they are helpful, this was not my experience, I asked for restaurant suggestions and places to visit that night and received no suggestions besides, "walk around". I asked for water she charged me .50 for an 8oz bottle. I would not recommend this place if you you like quiet. Also The room looks really clean, then I pulled back the bedspread and the blanet had sticky stains.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank mray2b1
Hostal Q, Guest Relations Manager at Hostal Quito Cultural, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Oké Guest,

Thank you first of all for your honest respons which we can appreciate...
For the time you we here in the hostal i would have liked to been able to help you with your inconveniences.

Noise from the street we have tried to eliminate as much as posible by giving it some extra demping around the windows. Needs to be seen if this will be the solution, but we are working on it. Attention to a guest is always what we try to give, but in your case it lacked some attention. so. Perdon, we haven´t been able to serve you to your wishes.

Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

The hostel is two min walking from the main square in the old town, it'a very picturesque building, very chilled atmosphere and the staff is great. On my way to quito LAN lost my luggage and the owner of the hostel helped me in every possible way. I'm very thankful and had a great time.

• Stayed: June 2013
Hostal Q, Guest Relations Manager at Hostal Quito Cultural, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Thank you for your review!

We are glad to hear you had a great time here in Quito and your time at the hostal has been a pleasent one. Whenever you feel like coming even back to Ecuador and visit Quito again we hope to see you back!!

Regards,