“No hot water, very little personal service...”

Hostal Quito Cultural
Ranked #20 of 233 Quito B&B and Inns
austin, texas
“No hot water, very little personal service...”
Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

I arrived at night and was checked in by a lady who did not speak English or understand the needs of travelers just arriving to a new city. She barely had a map for me, could not supply me with wifi password, and failed to let me know that if I wanted to eat something, everything in Old Town closes early. Therefore, I had no dinner that night bc no place was open and I couldn't communicate about anything. In the morning, there was no hot water in the shower...no matter how long I let it run,,,

Also, she had no change for me when I went to pay.,.she woke up the owner, who I expressed my experience to...and all she said was "sorry"...that's it...I had planned on staying another few nights layer in my trip, but made other arrangements.

Not a place to rely on for information or service...although the location is good in the Old Town,,.

Wish it was better.

• Stayed December 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 26, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights visiting Quito, paying US$30 a night for a room with private bath. Just something I needed to mention - when we checked in, there was a discrepancy between our confirmation and the actual price. We were told that someone have made a mistake as the price should have been US$50. However, she said it is not our problem and she would honour the price on the confirmation.

In summary, for US$30 it's a STEAL. It's very, very good value indeed.

Pros:
1. Location - this is right in the centre of town where you can walk to most sites. We chose this location as we have limited time in the city.
2. Room was big and clean
3. Beds and pillows were comfortable.
4. No problems with hot shower
5. Friendly, family-run hotel who are very welcoming to guests. For example one day she was sitting down with her grand daughter eating some fruits on the balcony. They offered us some when they saw us.
6. Internet worked very well.

Cons:
1. Location can go both ways - we were told to be careful going out as the centro area has a high crime rate. They also lock their front door after a certain time because of this (but no problems - someone always opens the door quickly when we rang the bell). So, if you're staying longer, perhaps consider if the location is safe.

If you do want to stay centrally, I have no problems recommending this place. For the price we paid, it was certainly great, great value.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PerantauDunia
London UK
Reviewed December 14, 2012

We only stayed a couple of nights at the beginning of our trip but the staff were very nice - arrived in the early hours as flights delayed but they had stayed up. The location is perfect and the breakfast was OK. We were unfortunately covered in very stinky liquid poo (diarrohea?) that someone threw at us (ironically on the street named Sucre!) and so returned to the hotel and they washed and dried all of our clothes. The room was a bit run down and damp but after a long flight we didn't care. Overall a very pretty place & great location.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed November 30, 2012

We loved the location of the hostel and found it to be a very convenient jumping off point for seeing the city, but we weren't very fond of the hostel itself. The staff were incredibly nice and accommodating, so we had no issues with the service. They arranged a 4:30 am taxi for us to the airport, which was a huge help. But the quality of the rooms for $56 per night (we had a private room with a queen bed and bathroom) wasn't up to par.

The towels were small, thin and rough, and the overall cleanliness of the room was a bit grimy. One of our pillow cases hadn't been changed, and there were hairs all over it. The uninsulated windows meant you heard every bit of noise from the street, and unfortunately the hostel faces a corner with a rather loud crosswalk signal...chirp chirp chirp, all night long.

I 'd be interested to see what else $56 per night can get you in Quito.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kristen H
Hulbert, Oklahoma
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We were in Quito, at the Hostal Quito Cultural, for a week in October (2012). We were made to feel like family. The atmosphere was friendly and relaxed. Yet the staff and service was professional. Our room was great, especially for the great price. We can't say enough good things about this hostal. We will come back and stay again and recommend it to anyone going to Quito. Dean andf Melisaa Bennett, U.S.A.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Jackson, Wyoming
Reviewed October 23, 2012

There are a lot of choices in Quito which can be overwhelming. This hostal was good walking distance to the Plaza, various cultural sites and restaurants. The front door was always locked, but it took no time to get buzzed in. Good for safety. The breakfast was ok. Eggs, toast, coffee and juice. The eggs were a bit too salty for us. The courtyard was a nice touch. We sat overlooking the city on several nights, and our room had a great view of the Virgin statue in the distance. We never had noise problems. The room was what you would expect for the price. A small tv that we only turned on to practice Spanish. A big closet for storage. Our room was top floor. Great for the views. I don't remember if they had wi-fi, but I just used their computer. We would stay there again.

Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed October 5, 2012

My first trip to Ecuador (and South America for that matter) and it was most pleasant with a lot of it due to Hostal Quito Cultural. The quality of service and the personalized attention from Alicia and Jessica, was fantastic. Being a first time visitor to Ecuador and not being fluent in Spanish, I immediately felt at home and well taken care of. They called taxi's for me when needed, helped me with translation, and made recommendations for things to see and places to go. I had a problem with the cell phone I purchased at a store in Quito, so Jessica let me use her phone for a couple of days until I got mine working. The location was a couple blocks from the Presidential palace and I happened to get photos and videos of the President during the Cambio de Guardia ceremony at the palace. I slept great, felt secure, and it felt like home. I could not have received that service nor felt that charm from a 5 star hotel. I have to say- staying there enhanced my trip tremendously. I'll be going back in March or April 2013 and I'll be staying at Hostal Quito Cultural :-) ..... Steve

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo