“Amazing day- great views, great weather and great company”
Review of Biking Dutchman

Biking Dutchman
Ranked #4 of 85 Outdoor Activities in Quito
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: "There’s a reason the South American Andes is spoken about with awe, and the cone of Ecuador’s Cotopaxi volcano is the icing on this mountainous hunk of cake. Scraping the sky at more than 5800 metres above sea level, the stratovolcano is currently snoozing after chucking a tantrum in late 2015, when it spat smoke and ash into the air. Rug up for altitude and thunder down its foothills on a 30-kilometre cycling trip with Biking Dutchman Tours. A back-up vehicle will carry you up high, where you’ll swing onto the saddle of a 21-speed mountain bike and head off-road, winding through ancient lava fields and past wild horses grazing in grassy plains studded with wildflowers. Stop at Incan ruins, enjoy a homemade picnic lunch, and spot the snowy giant reflected on the surface of Limpiopungo Lake... " GET LOST MAGAZINE
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed April 7, 2014

We heard about biking Cotopaxi and we were trying to decided whether to do it or who through when we were pleasantly surprised that the office was right near our hostel. We went in and had a chat to the Biking Dutchman´s Wife, who was fabulous and one of the selling points of the trip. She was really enthusiastic and really honest explaining that for some people (like herself), the hard part is the riding and for others the altitude was hard. She went to lengths to explained how to help both cases. One of our group is a seasoned mountain biker and asked about the gear, again she was really honest and explained the situation fully. They purposely don´t use top of the line disk breaks because most people (myself included) aren't used to the responsiveness of disk breaks and are more likely to fall off. The same is the case for the suspension. The bikes weren´t brand new but they were well looked after, well-serviced and much better quality than the ones on the death road in Bolivia.
We had the most perfect day for the trip; the weather was amazing, with great cloudless views of Cotopaxi the whole day. We were lucky enough to be guided by the biking dutchman himself and he was very knowledgeable and reliable.
The whole day ran very smoothly and we were able to do steep mountain biking at the start and then more casual biking through the plains where we saw a local fox and some wild horses. We stopped for lunch at some old Inca ruins.
The lunch was so great! An awesome change from the rice, beans, meat we were used to. The Dutchman´s wife makes the lunch. You get a pasta salad (very healthy using yogurt not mayo), with a good helping of the delicious aji sauce, a delicious greek pastry/quiche, a more-ish chocolate brownie and an amazing delicious ginger tea which is good for nearly every ailment.
After the we came out of the Cotopaxi plains and back to the entrance of the park, we were than taken back to the smooth road where we had the ´dessert´ of biking riding, where we could fly down the hill at top speeds! Very fun.

All in all a absolutely perfect day!

My only word of warning, wear every piece of clothing you own. I was cold at the start and it wasnt even a cold day- the wind just whips through you. There is a jeep that follows you the whole time, so you can strip off as you descend and get warmer from biking.

1  Thank Jess I
AnaNoboa, General Manager at Biking Dutchman, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2014

Thanks so much for sharing your insight with readers of the TRIP ADVISOR. We couldn't be more pleased to read your kind words about our job. We were satisfied with your comment about my (ANA’s) job. It should be obvious that a salesperson try to convince clients with the truth and with honesty. But it isn’t, is it?
Cotopaxi National Park is not always as “generous” as it was the day you visited it. So good for you! Thanks also for sharing your experience so thoroughly, as it is precisely in the details that one will find the difference between the different providers. In the home made lunch, in the ginger tea, and yes, in the personality of each one of us. Jan is a globetrotter (should I say was?) and his passion shows every step of the way. I learned at home that you should ALWAYS give a guest a good time and share a good meal. The fact that you are not coming home but sharing the lunch in the Park should not impede me from doing what I learned as a child: be a good host! I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our home made lunch, as much as we enjoyed making it!

Reviewed April 4, 2014

We just did the one day trip biking down the side of Cotopaxi. We then continued on for a few hours through still spectacular (but much flatter) areas of the park. We were lucky enough to have a very clear day with great views of the volcano all day. Lunch was excellent, Jan was a great guide and our group was a lot of fun. I would definitely recommend this as an exciting but affordable ($50) day trip out of Quito.

AnaNoboa, General Manager at Biking Dutchman, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2014

Thanks so much for posting your review in the TRIP ADVISOR. I am so VERY pleased that you enjoyed our services. I reckon that it must be difficult to choose where to book and I appreciate it that you did it through BIKING DUTCHMAN. Many thanks for taking the time to describe your experience in Cotopaxi, as this will certainly help others to take an informed decision. Jan was very excited to read your comment also!

Reviewed March 28, 2014

This one day biking trip is highly recommended. The company dealt with all initial enquiries promptly and thoroughly. On the day of the trip, the organisation was very efficient, with great support provided by the guide and drivers. All in all it made for a great experience biking down this volcano whilst taking in some spectacular views and scenery.

AnaNoboa, General Manager at Biking Dutchman, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2014

We greatly appreciate your input. Cotopaxi is indeed highly recommended. Not only we bike on the most visited National Park of Ecuador (just below GALAPAGOS) but also the fact that is so close to Quito, makes up for a great day out of the bustling city. No matter if you are here for business or as a tourist, you will find this excursion a grand addition to your visit.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

I recently visited Ecuador with my roommate. Based on a recommendation from a friend, we did a 4 day bike tour with Biking Dutchman. It was absolutely phenomenal. Neither of us had any experience mountain biking, but our guide and other riders in the group were quick to help us. We saw gorgeous scenery and learned a lot about local culture. The bikes are in great condition and there's always support if something goes wrong. I highly recommend!

AnaNoboa, General Manager at Biking Dutchman, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2014

Dear Alicia
Thank you so much for your kind review in TRIP ADVISOR. I am very pleased that you had a great experience with the BIKING DUTCHMAN. I found also exciting that you’ve got along well with the rest of the group. I also hope that your attempt to contact them all is successful and that you will be able to create the e-mail distribution list and thus share your pictures. Should be fun! Good luck and thank you again for choosing us for this adventure.

Reviewed March 20, 2014

Let me repeat myself, You mountain bike down a volcano!! How many people can say they've done that in their life. Biking dutchman was the perfect group to go with. My husband and myself signed up while we were still in the states. Their team was EXCELLENT at communicating with me and let me know everything I needed for the day of the trip. I was extremely nervous since I hadn't ridden a bike in a while, I'm not in the best of shape and I wasn't super familiar with mountain biking, BUT I had a BLAST. Our guide was patient and kind and very informative. I felt safe and secure the whole time. If you are nervous the trucks follow you the WHOLE time so when you get tired you can stop. My husband made it the total 35km, I made it 20km and I couldn't have been happier. The lunch stop was beautiful, we even saw wild horses! This company knows what they are doing and can be trusted. This is a MUST if you are in or around Quito.

AnaNoboa, General Manager at Biking Dutchman, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2014

I loved your comment: “You mountain bike down a volcano!! How many people can say they've done that in their life.” It shows that it is a great achievement that ALL our clients share. We are very proud that we made it possible!
Day after day. Tour after tour we are committed, not only to provide a great experience in Ecuador, but also a great experience in this activity, so that you go home and take mountain biking and biking in general more seriously. We do believe that "It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and can coast down them. ... Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motorcar only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle" ERNEST HEMINGWAY.