“Absolutely perfect way to experience Cotopaxi!!!”
Review of Biking Dutchman

Biking Dutchman
Ranked #2 of 77 Outdoor Activities in Quito
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: "There’s a reason the South American Andes is spoken about with awe, and the cone of Ecuador’s Cotopaxi volcano is the icing on this mountainous hunk of cake. Scraping the sky at more than 5800 metres above sea level, the stratovolcano is currently snoozing after chucking a tantrum in late 2015, when it spat smoke and ash into the air. Rug up for altitude and thunder down its foothills on a 30-kilometre cycling trip with Biking Dutchman Tours. A back-up vehicle will carry you up high, where you’ll swing onto the saddle of a 21-speed mountain bike and head off-road, winding through ancient lava fields and past wild horses grazing in grassy plains studded with wildflowers. Stop at Incan ruins, enjoy a homemade picnic lunch, and spot the snowy giant reflected on the surface of Limpiopungo Lake... " GET LOST MAGAZINE
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Washington DC
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Absolutely perfect way to experience Cotopaxi!!!”
Reviewed March 13, 2014

We were lucky enough to have the owner (THE Biking Dutchman, himself) as our guide so definitely a bonus there. His support staff was great during our tour as well. We arranged the one day tour during a 24hour stop over in Quito. The owner's wife, Ana, made special arrangements to pick us up closer to our hotel location than downtown Quito. If you are staying in downtown Quito the meeting point is very convenient. All of this was done via email and we owe a special thanks to Ana for making it so easy to arrange and accommodating our special requests. She also cooked a delicious lunch and dessert for the entire group.

The tour consisted of a rather steep down hill ride from just below the glaciers of Cotopaxi. Then a flatter more leisurely group ride through fields littered with volcanic boulders. People of all ages and biking skills were in our group and no one had any issues. The scenery is absolutely beautiful for the entire tour. There are a few uphill areas but the group stopped to keep everyone together and plenty of people walked their bike up the hardest of areas. We felt it was a very scenic, enjoyable, well organized trip and NOT rushed from point A to B like some tours can be.

All the equipment (bike, helmet, gloves and jackets if you don't have any with you) seemed to be in good working condition too. I highly recommend Biking Dutchman if you want to experience Cotopaxi via an affordable, well organized day trip from Quito or the surrounding areas. Suggestion- Be sure to dress in layers as the top of Cotopaxi is cold and it gets a lot warmer as you descend.

Visited February 2014
biking-dutchman, General Manager at Biking Dutchman, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Thank you so much for sharing your insight with people who are looking for activities around the Quito area.
Your opinion is very valuable. I am especially thankful for your feedback on my job (Ana's). Many times –after I have done my part- I do not have any contact with our clients so I keep wondering if I fulfilled my duties and whether you were happy with my part of the team work! Thanks you did not forget to mention it.

• Hebrew first
Quito, Ecuador
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“An excellent day to explore Cotopaxi by bike .”
Reviewed March 12, 2014

You will see some breathtaking landscapes during this trip. Perfect English speaking guide , the group is well looked after.

Visited March 2014
After you wrote me an e mail to thank us for the services, we thought it best that you would share your impressions via TRIP ADVISOR. Thank you so much for doing so. Although it is brief, you did not leave anything unsaid. Thank you very much for taking the time to review us. On your mail you actually said something that I would like to share also. When I mentioned that a previous review said that our company is not recommended you wrote me: "I do not know why someone would say that!" Well actually neither do we!
Glasgow, United Kingdom
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Great fun, great value, amazing day out!”
Reviewed February 26, 2014

I booked a one day trip out to mountain bike down volcano Cotopaxi and the park and had some of the most fun i had in my entire time in Ecuador. Our guides were so professional and real mountain biking pros so I felt safe with the advice they offered us. The ride is stunning, though warning- it's freezing and super windy up at the refuge camp start point. Make sure you are adjusted to the altitude before you set off too, a few of our group felt a bit ill. Incase you find the ride tough though, a support van drives along at the back so you can jump in at anytime, really good. The bikes are good quality and safety is really high priority. Pack lunch offered was home cooked veggie food and so tasty, everyone wanted seconds. I would have loved to do a longer trip with Biking Dutchman if I had the time, as they are a great agency with fab guides and experience. Don't miss out on the Cotopaxi trip though, it's awesome :)

Visited January 2014
biking-dutchman, General Manager at Biking Dutchman, responded to this review, March 1, 2014
Oh thanks so much for your review. The fact that you have taken the time to write it, clearly shows how much you liked the trip with the BIKING DUTCHMAN. Thank you for sharing with others your experience with us.
I particularly like your insight, as a client, of how it is to be out there. And up there, at 15000 ft. It is awesome but one should not take it that lightly. It is important to have proper equipment too. The fact that some people felt ill, is THE reason we chose -years ago- NOT to walk to the refuge. From our point of view it might jeopardize the biking, which is the mean reason we take you there. We strongly believe that there is much more to offer in the Park. I am happy to hear your opinion about it.
I also hope that you will consider us for your future holidays in Ecuador.
Brisbane, Australia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Amazing views: a great way to see Cotopaxi National Park”
Reviewed February 26, 2014

My boyfriend, his brother and I did the one-day tour to Cotopaxi National Park in February. We had great weather (though it's really chilly on the volcano slopes) and the bikes were in good condition. My helmet looked like it had withstood a couple falls and definitely could have been replaced with a new one, but that was the only fault with all the equipment provided on the day.

Our guide, Fernando, seemed a bit short when we first met at Magic Bean and didn't introduce himself til we were already at the refuge of Cotopaxi. I understand that he probably does these tours all the time and it's hard to keep your energy and enthusiasm up, especially at 7am but it wasn't the best first impression. Not to be overcritical, Fernando was well-organised and efficient, and softened up during the day. I wish he had talked a bit more openly about the history of the park, the geography and thrown in a few interesting stories.

Everything went smoothly throughout the day, the scenery was spectacular, the riding was a little challenging but also thrilling, and with a group of 17 riders, only two sustained some scratches and bruises from falls. The lunch was homemade pasta salad, ice tea, a piece of quiche and delicious carrot cake. There was enough for seconds. Our biggest complaint was that we weren't given water unless we requested it. Logically it's a good idea to bring your own drink bottle but this should be emphasized and highlighted, especially because fluid intake prevents altitude sickness. Another suggestion would be that once you arrive to the national park, it would be nice to give out a piece of fruit since it's a long time between leaving Quito and the picnic lunch.

All in all, I can see why Biking Dutchman is the top when it comes to mountain biking tours. Though I may have been critical, we would definitely consider doing another tour with them next time we visit Ecuador. Stop thinking and get on a bike! It's the best way to see Ecuador's landscapes.

Visited February 2014
Review collected in partnership with this attraction

biking-dutchman, Manager at Biking Dutchman, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
We read your long and meticulous review. Thanks for taking the time to write it.
I am sorry that your experience with Fernando was not as good as usual. We are used to hear only good things about him. For instance, this is a comment, recently written by another client who also had Fernando as a guide: “Our guide, Fernando was a blast - super enthusiastic and knowledgeable - a great example of someone who loves his job, and boy does it show!”.
Regarding the “snack” and the water. We clearly explain to all our clients that ONLY a box lunch is included. Our lunch is not only nutritious but also fulfilling but in deed it is served at lunch time. We mention also that, if you are a person who needs a little extra in between meals, you should bring it for yourself. I am sorry that it was not clear.
Regarding water I am sorry but I fail to see what was wrong: If you would have said that there was not enough water, then I would understand. But what you say is “it was not given unless requested”. My question to you is, if you needed more, why didn’t you request more? I am sure that my crew would have given you in a blink of an eye, because we understand very well that it is important that you drink plenty of water. It is my first advice and therefore we provide as much as you want/need.
I am glad that, in spite of your critical comments, you would still do another trip with our company. Hopefully you do and we have the opportunity to improve, especially communication as it seems that it was a little lack of that that created false expectations from you.
Toronto, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Fabulous - A perfect case study of how to run a business!”
Reviewed February 26, 2014

Last week, I did the Cotapaxi mountain bike ride to celebrate my 50th birthday, so very much wanted it to be a special event.... I was not disappointed. The previous day we had done a hike up to the glacier and a short bike ride down with another company so I started to worry that the Cotapaxi bike ride might just be more of the same or something similar. I contacted Ana at the Biking Dutchman and expressed my concerns - she was super helpful and explained how the ride I had booked would be something special.....and indeed it was.

From the very beginning the trip got off to a great start - being met with a warm welcome at the Magic Bean by Jan (the owner) and our guide Fernando. Then the drive, which gave us a chance to get to know the other people on the ride (a nice group of ten) getting to the volcano and doing the bike ride - so much fun and energetic too. My partner and I have done a fair bit of biking but there were some novices on the ride as well - they were supported fully but at the same time we weren't held back in the least. The countryside was fabulous as the ride takes you out into some stunning landscapes. Our guide, Fernando was a blast - super enthusiastic and knowledgeable - a great example of someone who loves his job, and boy does it show! We had a delicious home made picnic out in the middle of this stunning countryside where Ana (owner) had made a special portion for me to cater to my garlic allergy.

The Biking Dutchman is a perfect example of how businesses should be run and how having someone like Fernando who obviously has a passion for biking, makes such a difference. Needless to say we are now planning our next trip with this company - hopefully one of their longer three or four days trips. Can't rate them highly enough....

Visited February 2014
biking-dutchman, General Manager at Biking Dutchman, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Oh Julia, you are so generous and thoughtful.
I felt so moved with your kind words. And I am so very happy that I was able to help you. It was so good that you did not change the tour. It would have been such a waste.
I cannot thank you enough for writing this great report in the Trip Advisor.
I reckon that I, as client, would love to hear what you so nicely wrote!
Jan and I are particularly proud of what you said: “A perfect case study of how to run a business”. As owners of the company, there is absolutely nothing that a client could have said to make us prouder and happier.
Again many, many thanks for your insight and kind words