“Biking at Cotopaxi, GREAT!”
Review of Biking Dutchman

Biking Dutchman
Ranked #3 of 90 Outdoor Activities in Quito
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: "There’s a reason the South American Andes is spoken about with awe, and the cone of Ecuador’s Cotopaxi volcano is the icing on this mountainous hunk of cake. Scraping the sky at more than 5800 metres above sea level, the stratovolcano is currently snoozing after chucking a tantrum in late 2015, when it spat smoke and ash into the air. Rug up for altitude and thunder down its foothills on a 30-kilometre cycling trip with Biking Dutchman Tours. A back-up vehicle will carry you up high, where you’ll swing onto the saddle of a 21-speed mountain bike and head off-road, winding through ancient lava fields and past wild horses grazing in grassy plains studded with wildflowers. Stop at Incan ruins, enjoy a homemade picnic lunch, and spot the snowy giant reflected on the surface of Limpiopungo Lake... " GET LOST MAGAZINE
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed January 12, 2014

A few days ago we - group of 14 - biked down the Cotopaxi. Starting at about 4600m the thrill started. The Dutchman provided good bikes, a great introduction making the bike ride safe and easy for all of us. Another highlight, the lunch break prepared by Ms. Dutchman!!! Enjoy the event.

biking-dutchman, General Manager at Biking Dutchman, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2014

Good afternoon from sunny Quito!
We were very happy to read your review on the Cotopaxi One day tour. We are particularly happy that you enjoyed the ride and that having 14 on the group was not a problem for you. Some clients have always that question. We are happy that our guide managed the group in a professional manner. Of course the Dutchman's wife took pride of your comment about the food.

Reviewed December 27, 2013

I did the 1-day tour from Cotopaxi, starting at 4.5 km altitude. Since I normally live at sea level and never work out, I called Biking Dutchman in advance to figure out whether joining the trip would be a good idea. They told me the first 20 minutes would be downhill and after that "up and down just like life". Thank got Ana's life is not like the Andes! There were about 5 short up hill tracks of which I walked 2. And the jeeps were always around to jump into if you were exhausted (which nobody of the 13 participants used).
At the Cotopaxi it was foggy and windy. Windproof jacket and gloves were no luxury. The track down from the volcano was such a thrill! After the descent of 700 mtrs, the fog was gone and the surroudings were magnificent. We stopped at a ruin to have lunch with pasta, quiche and cake with gingertea.
Great day not to be missed while in Ecuador!

biking-dutchman, General Manager at Biking Dutchman, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Good morning Silvia
Thanks so much for taking the time to write an extensive review of your experience with us in COTOPAXI NATIONAL PARK.
Your description of the day of biking there is probably the best way to explain how it works: Even people without so much biking experience can have a day at the Park. We make it possible! Our guides and equipment is at your disposal to try and make the best out of the day.
We are also glad that you liked our lunch, which we always take pride of.
Jan would have liked to answer you in Dutch but we agreed on writing in English, so that more potential clients would understand.
My life is a little bit like the Andes. But I have learned how to live with it. And how to enjoy the thrill of the ups and downs life offers: and try to keep an open mind to enjoy the advantages of it: It is never boring
Ana

Reviewed December 5, 2013

My girlfriend and I recently completed a 5 day bike tour with Biking Dutchman in Ecuador. We were a last minute, private trip so we were charged extra for this but since we were on a tight time frame it was worth it. Without this guided trip, it would of been next to impossible to accomplish what we did in just 5 days.

First off our guide, Fernanado, was excellent company over the five days. He spoke perfect English and was very knowledgeable on Ecuador's and history, politics and flora and fauna. We certainly learned a lot about Ecuador in our conversations with him. He was also our driver for the trip.

The food was a definite added bonus. I was expecting a simple cheese sandwich and boxed juice each day for lunch. Instead, we were treated to homemade pasta, wraps and tasty deserts like brownies. They also made us this killer ginger tea.

Our trip consisted of a ride down and around the volcano Cotopaxi. A ride down from Quiltoa lake. An unbelievable 65km descent from Chimborazo down to Ambato (do not miss this!) Banos to Puyo was super rad too. Our last day included a visit to a hot-spring followed by a decent and quick loop near Quito on an old railway grade (very scenic).

Overall we highly recommend a trip with them.

biking-dutchman, General Manager at Biking Dutchman, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2014

Oh thank you so much. Sharing your experience with other potential clients makes the whole difference to us. Clients to clients talking with to intermediary about the tour, pictures the company more than many words coming from ourselves.
For Jan and I it is also great to hear your side of the story and try to keep up the good work. It gives us the energy to go on.

Reviewed November 28, 2013

I would highly recommend booking a biking trip with the Biking Dutchman, my brother and I did a 4 day trip and it was an unforgettable experience! Ana Lucia was very prompt in responding to all of my questions prior to our trip and it was an easy task booking it. Our guide Alberto was extremely knowledgeable and made our experience even better! The lunches provided were very yummy and the spots where we ate even better... spectacular, peaceful landscapes!
I'd say one thing I'd recommend in addition to cycling is to actually trek down to the Quilotoa Crater and back up, it was definitely a tough hike but would do it again in a heart beat.
The lodges where we stayed were extremely clean with friendly hosts and dinners they served exceptional- I still dream about the 'locro de papa' (Ecuadorian soup with avocado, cheese and potatoes) that we had at a lodge in Urbina.
I would recommend bringing extra layers because it does get chilly in the evenings!
Cycling wasn't difficult, the bikes were in excellent condition and the surroundings were breathtaking- I will definitely never forget about this experience, thank you Biking Dutchman, I will highly recommend your company to anyone planning to visit Ecuador.

biking-dutchman, Manager at Biking Dutchman, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2013

We have read your comments with much interest. And we all would like to take this opportunuty to thank you for taking time to write in TRIP ADVISOR. We often hear from clients how important it is for them to read previous customers´ feedbacks. Since we started the business with nothing else than a good idea, the "word of mouth" has always been a good ally. Not only for potential buyers; but also for us to be able to learn from prior experiences. So thank you for choosing us in the first place. And for the great feedback!

Reviewed November 20, 2013 via mobile

We did the Cotopaxi volcano bike ride and were really impressed. Great value for money and a fantastic guide, the trip got us deep into Cotopaxi Volcano national park, up high on Cotopaxi itself and then an exhilarating ride down from 15,000 feet and some spectacular scenery and amazing nature. The lunch and transport to and from the park were included and the lunch was delicious home-made food from the boss and his wife's kitchen. Delicious hearty food set beside an inca ruin. All top class and well worth the effort. There is some major energy needed from participants, and the ride down the volcano itself is not for the faint-hearted, but my friends and I thought this trip an amazing day trip. Highly recommended if you have the energy and the vigour!

AnaNoboa, Manager at Biking Dutchman, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2013

Dear Neil
Here at the BIKING DUTCHMAN we strive to provide great tours to all our customers. It is not always perfect, we know, but we try to do our best.
Your feedback gave us an indication that we are going in the right direction. thank you very much for sharing your insight with all TRIP ADVISOR's readers