“Highligt of my Quito stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Biking Dutchman
Ranked #2 of 75 Outdoor Activities in Quito
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: "There’s a reason the South American Andes is spoken about with awe, and the cone of Ecuador’s Cotopaxi volcano is the icing on this mountainous hunk of cake. Scraping the sky at more than 5800 metres above sea level, the stratovolcano is currently snoozing after chucking a tantrum in late 2015, when it spat smoke and ash into the air. Rug up for altitude and thunder down its foothills on a 30-kilometre cycling trip with Biking Dutchman Tours. A back-up vehicle will carry you up high, where you’ll swing onto the saddle of a 21-speed mountain bike and head off-road, winding through ancient lava fields and past wild horses grazing in grassy plains studded with wildflowers. Stop at Incan ruins, enjoy a homemade picnic lunch, and spot the snowy giant reflected on the surface of Limpiopungo Lake... " GET LOST MAGAZINE
Useful Information: Activities for older children
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Highligt of my Quito stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

Joined a one day biking tour to Cotopaxi National park. Due to the perfect weather (clear sky & view of the volcano) it was the highlight of my Quito stay.
The guide (Fernando) was very nice, the route and the speed of the tour was good. I really enjoyed especially, the lonelyness of the tour: no other tourists around! The lunch was very tasty.

The reason why I don't give 5 stars:
- the quality of the bikes. We were a group of 7 and had 2 flat tires. I don't know, if this is normal. And also the gear quality could be better. I had sometimes problems with changing the gear.
- the last 10km could be skipped from my point of view. After the Nationalpark Exit North, the road was very exhausting to ride

1 Thank SwissChicca

• Hebrew first
Cuenca, Azuay, Ecuador
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Scenery to die for, easy cycling, good food, super fun!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Three days of biking for the beginner through advanced, always well cared for by staff, good lodging, great price for the package. Recommended for full-grown kids through to anyone relatively fit. Safety is emphasized, but not to cramp personal style. Absolutely breathtaking scenery. Biked near glaciers, swam in crater lake, enjoyed beauty of small villages, friendly people, artisans, and more varied landscape than one can imagine. Already planning to repeat the experience with another group of friends in June, 2013. Five Stars!!!

New York City, New York
“Fantastic experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

This was my favorite thing that I did in Quito! The ride was amazing - fantastic scenery and a good mix of terrain. Jan is awesome, very experienced and helpful, as is Ana in the office. Biking Dutchman does everything right, from the excellent organization of the trip as a whole right down to the delicious home cooked lunch! I would do this trip again in a second.

Visited March 2013
La Paz, Bolivia
“Fantastic Three Day Trip!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

I finished a three day biking tour of Cotopaxi-Quilotoa-Chimborazo with Biking Dutchman this afternoon.

Starting outside Magic Bean at 7am on Tuesday, we drove to Cotopaxi national park and biked down Volcan Cotopaxi, then did approximately 40km more in the national park that day. We stopped for a fantastic lunch made by Mrs Biking Ditchman!

Mid afternoon we left the park and drove to the town of Quilotoa where we spent the night in a lovely hotel/hostel two minutes from the edge of the Quilotoa crater. The next morning we walked down the crater to the lake where we could swim, rent kayaks or just enjoy the amazing lagoon. Later we cycled for approximately 30km.

The second night was spent in Riobamba in a hotel in the heart of the city. There was wifi and the rooms were comfortable. The next morning we drove towards Chimborazo where we did a 40 minute hike up to the base camp and then back down to the car park where we started our descent. We did over 40km of riding from Chimborazo to Ambato, almost entirely downhill through spectacular scenery. In Ambato we were driven to the bus terminal where they helped us catch a bus to Baños. Alternatively, some of our group went back to Quito in the 4x4s, which is included in the trip cost.

Overall it was an amazing trip that I would thoroughly recommend to anyone. We had bikers ranging from 18 to over 60, and we all got along very well and had support from the drivers of the two 4x4s which take the bikes and transport us from mountain to mountain!

We also had a fantastic tour guide that made the trip even more memorable. I must also mention his dog, Champignon, who was always ready to play 'fetch' on our hikes and when we had breaks from our cycling.

lübeck
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Lots of fun, excellent guide, delicious lunch, well-maintained bikes”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

I had a great day with Jan (the dutchman), the bikes, and the group - we all were just enjoying the ride, even though we had quite a loss of material, jan still had bikes in reserve - changed it without any stress.
We had quite a range of experience in mountain-biking - hard core bikers to absolute beginners - jan managed to have a really great day for everyone !
Later it started to rain a bit, we enjoyed a tasty homemade lunch with delicious desert - and then the Cotopaxi lifted the clouds and we finally got a good view of this beautiful volcano.
Resumee: Very reasonable price, real fun for everybody, one of the best days in ecuador!
Next time I´ll have a longer tour with Jan´s crew !

Visited March 2013