“Fantastic experience”

Biking Dutchman
Ranked #3 of 80 Outdoor Activities in Quito
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: "There’s a reason the South American Andes is spoken about with awe, and the cone of Ecuador’s Cotopaxi volcano is the icing on this mountainous hunk of cake. Scraping the sky at more than 5800 metres above sea level, the stratovolcano is currently snoozing after chucking a tantrum in late 2015, when it spat smoke and ash into the air. Rug up for altitude and thunder down its foothills on a 30-kilometre cycling trip with Biking Dutchman Tours. A back-up vehicle will carry you up high, where you’ll swing onto the saddle of a 21-speed mountain bike and head off-road, winding through ancient lava fields and past wild horses grazing in grassy plains studded with wildflowers. Stop at Incan ruins, enjoy a homemade picnic lunch, and spot the snowy giant reflected on the surface of Limpiopungo Lake... " GET LOST MAGAZINE
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed April 5, 2013

This was my favorite thing that I did in Quito! The ride was amazing - fantastic scenery and a good mix of terrain. Jan is awesome, very experienced and helpful, as is Ana in the office. Biking Dutchman does everything right, from the excellent organization of the trip as a whole right down to the delicious home cooked lunch! I would do this trip again in a second.

There are newer reviews for Biking Dutchman

Reviewed April 4, 2013

I finished a three day biking tour of Cotopaxi-Quilotoa-Chimborazo with Biking Dutchman this afternoon.

Starting outside Magic Bean at 7am on Tuesday, we drove to Cotopaxi national park and biked down Volcan Cotopaxi, then did approximately 40km more in the national park that day. We stopped for a fantastic lunch made by Mrs Biking Ditchman!

Mid afternoon we left the park and drove to the town of Quilotoa where we spent the night in a lovely hotel/hostel two minutes from the edge of the Quilotoa crater. The next morning we walked down the crater to the lake where we could swim, rent kayaks or just enjoy the amazing lagoon. Later we cycled for approximately 30km.

The second night was spent in Riobamba in a hotel in the heart of the city. There was wifi and the rooms were comfortable. The next morning we drove towards Chimborazo where we did a 40 minute hike up to the base camp and then back down to the car park where we started our descent. We did over 40km of riding from Chimborazo to Ambato, almost entirely downhill through spectacular scenery. In Ambato we were driven to the bus terminal where they helped us catch a bus to Baños. Alternatively, some of our group went back to Quito in the 4x4s, which is included in the trip cost.

Overall it was an amazing trip that I would thoroughly recommend to anyone. We had bikers ranging from 18 to over 60, and we all got along very well and had support from the drivers of the two 4x4s which take the bikes and transport us from mountain to mountain!

We also had a fantastic tour guide that made the trip even more memorable. I must also mention his dog, Champignon, who was always ready to play 'fetch' on our hikes and when we had breaks from our cycling.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

I had a great day with Jan (the dutchman), the bikes, and the group - we all were just enjoying the ride, even though we had quite a loss of material, jan still had bikes in reserve - changed it without any stress.
We had quite a range of experience in mountain-biking - hard core bikers to absolute beginners - jan managed to have a really great day for everyone !
Later it started to rain a bit, we enjoyed a tasty homemade lunch with delicious desert - and then the Cotopaxi lifted the clouds and we finally got a good view of this beautiful volcano.
Resumee: Very reasonable price, real fun for everybody, one of the best days in ecuador!
Next time I´ll have a longer tour with Jan´s crew !

Reviewed March 26, 2013

After comparing some tour-operators in Quito I booked a downhill tour with "The Biking Dutchman" - and enjoyed every single second! Jan himself drove us up to the starting point of our route and joined us for the whole downhill-adventure. He might been doing this for a while now and is really experienced... but still as enthusiastic as if he rode down that "hill" for the first time! Other reviews already coverd loads of route information, so I just wanna state, that every detail - starting with bikes, briefing in the office as well as before we hit the "road", stops, homemade lunch, desert and YES, also homemade gingertea, ... - has just been amazing!
I`m not a mountainbiking or downhill pro and would recommend the tour to everyone who likes to be on bikes. The 4WD is all the time around, so you can decide how demanding your tour shall be ... but once on the bike, you don`t want to get off ... promise! :)

So thanx again to Jan & the team of "Flying Dutchman" for a great tour and experience & thanks to the bunch of people who`ve been on the trip with me... the day has been a great part of my Ecuador experience!

Chris/Austria

1  Thank Chris K
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Highly recommend this company! My sister and I booked a one-day mountain biking tour at Cotopaxi with Biking Dutchman after learning the train there from Quito was out of service. The ride was amazing, starting with a long downhill from around 13,000 feet at the base of Cotopaxi and continuing through the Páramo for several hours. The bikes were comfortable and easy to ride, our guide (Fernando) was very knowledgeable, the transportation to and from Cotopaxi was quick and on-time, and we even had a tasty home cooked meal for lunch. This was a great, great way to see Cotopaxi National Park, I highly recommend it.