“Beautiful Landscape”

Biking Dutchman
Ranked #4 of 85 Outdoor Activities in Quito
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: "There’s a reason the South American Andes is spoken about with awe, and the cone of Ecuador’s Cotopaxi volcano is the icing on this mountainous hunk of cake. Scraping the sky at more than 5800 metres above sea level, the stratovolcano is currently snoozing after chucking a tantrum in late 2015, when it spat smoke and ash into the air. Rug up for altitude and thunder down its foothills on a 30-kilometre cycling trip with Biking Dutchman Tours. A back-up vehicle will carry you up high, where you’ll swing onto the saddle of a 21-speed mountain bike and head off-road, winding through ancient lava fields and past wild horses grazing in grassy plains studded with wildflowers. Stop at Incan ruins, enjoy a homemade picnic lunch, and spot the snowy giant reflected on the surface of Limpiopungo Lake... " GET LOST MAGAZINE
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed August 15, 2012

We had an outstanding time on our one-day mountain bike excursion to Cotopaxi. The weather was sketchy in the morning, but cleared up as the day went on revealing stunning scenery. Our guide really made the trip though - helpful, friendly and knowledgeable all in one. The Trek bikes were in good shape - no complaints out of our 7-person group. Lunch was yummy too! It was slightly more strenuous than I expected (~3-4hrs of biking), but nothing over the top.

1  Thank DMC4466

Reviewed August 10, 2012

We did the 1 day tour to Cotopaxi and had a very enjoyable day. The guide was very professional and had perfect English. He was from Quito so a great source of local knowledge. The lunch was better than expected. At all times the jeep drove behind the slowest cyclist so if anyone got tired or needed anything from their bag, they could get into the jeep. Very hand when people of different abilities in the group. The bikes were of good standard.
A brilliant day trip from Quito and a great way to see Cotopaxi and it's stunning views.

Reviewed August 7, 2012

We have had a 2 days trip in Cotopaxi and Quilotoa !! We really enjoyed the downhill on Cotopaxi and the cross country around the park !! As we are 2 out of four to have severe allergies, we thank the staff about their good concerns about these restrictions !!! Quilotoa is also a most, as we have a small hike, a bit of a swim in the lagoon and a bike ride down the hill !!! Good planning, good hotel choice and good food !!! A secure way to discover the magnificence of the beuatiful landscapes in Ecuador !!!

Reviewed August 6, 2012

I did the two-day Cotopaxi-Quilotoa tour with my 14 year old son. The biking experience on day one down Cotapaxi and across the park was great for both of us, however, there were too many details that did not come together to make the 2nd day worth the effort.

To begin, I am 6'4" and weigh 210 pounds. I contacted the Biking Dutchman in advance to make sure they had a bike that would fit me. The assured me that they had a bike that would fit. I stopped by the Biking Dutchman office two days before our trip to pay and I inquired about the bike size to confirm I was set. I was told they had a bike that would fit me. On Saturday morning, we met the group and the leader at the Magic Bean and I asked about the bike. The leader told me that he loaded a larger framed bike for me. There were two groups and roughly 10-12 bikes stacked on top of the vehicles so I couldn't really tell if there was a larger bike for me. When we arrived to unload at Cotapaxi, I was given a bike with an 18" frame and told sorry. I was pissed, especially after paying good money. With the only option being ride or pout, I raised the seat as high as possible and shoved off. The ride down Cotapaxi is very steep. I made it down ok, but because the bike was much too small, my risk of going over the handlebars was much higher. Despite the bike size issue, it was a great day of riding for both me and my son.

At the end of the day we begin a 4 hour white-knuckle car ride through the mountains to Quilotoa. The first half of the ride was over paved roadway and was fine. The 2nd half was across unpaved/dirt cliff side roads in the dark. Our 23 year old driver was eager to "get-there" and thought it was quite funny each time I asked him to slow down as we passed cars in the dark on the cliffside roads. Not what I thought I was paying for. In the end we made it to the hostel. The food was good and the beds were comfortable although we had a room that didn't even have a door knob so we had to brace the door closed.

Day two biking was fun, mostly down hill. Around 1PM we started the 3.5-hour drive back to Quito. In all we spent more than 8 hours in the car. We biked about the same amount.

Given the extra costs, risks (the drive in the dark to Quilotoa is dangerous (Ecuador was my 50th country visited and I have had my share of scary car rides) and the amount of time spent in the car, I stronly recommend waiving off on the two-day trip and doing the one-day trip to Cotapaxi. If you are tall like me, take the extra step and make them show you the bike before you leave. That day 1 trip is worth the money....day 2 definately not.

1  Thank Tom L
Reviewed August 4, 2012

We did the two day "Cotopaxi-Quilotoa Crater..." tour. What they fail to tell you is that there is A LOT more time spent in the van travelling to Cotopaxi and Quilotoa and back to Quito than you spend on a bicycle. We spent more than twice the numbers of hours on the van than we did on the bike, so unless you are prepared for 5 hours in the van on day one and about 3 on day two you may want to reconsider. Based upon the amount of van time I would not do a two day trip with them again.

Having said that we got a better ride a Cotopaxi than the other company that was there, because after having finished the downhill we went off and road some grass tracks on the mountain which the other company did not do, and this doubled our 'bike time'. Without this 'extra' it would have been a long way for 'very little'

2  Thank Radley322