“Rated 5-star and earned it”
Review of Alma Cocina - CLOSED

Alma Cocina
Cuisines: Argentinean
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 20, 2012

Excellent food, very nice environment in the restaurant and the service you'd expect for a top restaurant. The restaurant is dimly lit for romantic meals but that may irritate you for a business meeting. The "observatory" of the kitchen is a unique feature.

Reviewed April 20, 2012

I love Alma. I am wondered why its ranking went down in Tripadvisor just by a series of very critical reviews of some people (obviously the same party). Alma is maybe the only michelin star level restaurant in quito. Continuously developing its menu, innovative aspects in food and a very good wine collection. we always go for the surprise menu in which you get 8 plates plus wine accompanying every single one. In practice, including all the extras, they end up to about 13 plates and very good collection of wines (make sure you have a taxi waiting for you and dont have to drive home!!). The atmosphere is pleasant and the service is low profile, no nervous, overly formal waiters here, but knowledgeable your people. Chef is visiting you on request and actually loves to have a chat about your personal requirements. Actually he can perfectly make a 8 course vegan menu if you ask so, and its wonderful. Maybe the only critisism is that it can be too much food and variety for just one night.

Reviewed March 25, 2012

Our group ordered a fixed price menu. I was very clear that I was vegan but a couple of times they brought me dishes with cheese so it's a good thing I asked first if they were SURE it didn't have cheese. Every time my meat-eating friends were served a meat dish, I was served a mushroom dish. It was way too much meat for them and too many mushrooms for me. At the end I was still hungry and we had a huge bill to pay.

Reviewed March 20, 2012

My tour operator and friend, Santiago took me here for lunch one afternoon and we did not want to leave!
It is a gorgeous restaurant with food and service to match.
I loved the tasting menu and would recommend you try it!

Reviewed December 9, 2011

I was very excited to try this restaurant after reading all of the great reviews. It was my 40th birthday so my husband and I wanted to have a great dinner. Unfortunately, I wish I would have chosen another restaurant instead. When we arrived, we were shown to our table and given the wine list on an ipad. I asked for a hard copy wine list, but they did not have one. If you have ever used the ipad wine list, it is incredibly frustrating. You have to click on each country and then click on white or red and then click on the vineyard. There is no master list, and I honestly think the ap is designed this way so you will get frustrated and just pick the first bottle of wine that you see which happens to be the most expensive. Anyway, I requested a bottle of wine. They were out of that. Back to the frustrating wine ap. I requested a second bottle of wine. They were out of that. Back to the wine ap again. The third try was a charm, but the wine was just average, but at that point, I would have drunk anything to get out of having to use the ipad again and them not having my wine choice.

On to the food after the wine debacle.... my husband and I started with the empanadas. I ordered the spicy beef and my husband chose the mozzerella, basil, and tomato. These were good, but they were your basic empanadas that you would get on the street in Argentina. For our main courses, I chose the pasta stuffed with ham and mozzerella with a tomato sauce, and my husband had the shrimp ravioli with creme sauce. Both of these pastas were good (not spectacular) but they were both served luke warm. For dessert, my husband had the panna cotta which he enjoyed.

I don't know if it was an off night for the chef (the championship soccer game was on), but this was a less than stellar showing for this restaurant.