“Everything was perfect !” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ride Andes
Ranked #24 of 75 Outdoor Activities in Quito
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Specialist, since 1996. European owned-operated. One or more days horse riding in the Andean Highlands -we have the BEST quality, well cared for horses. Riding on between Haciendas in the stunning scenery of Cotopaxi National Park, Antisana foothills & Otavalo area (can include Otavalo market visit). Full range of route & accommodation options.We cater for all levels of riding ability (different itinerary options): advanced riders, families, children & mixed groups of riders and 'non' riders. Instruction given if desired. Helmets, half chaps, ponchos, saddlebags provided. Very safety conscious.Volunteer options also available. Sally
Atlanta, Georgia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Everything was perfect !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012

Sally emailed with me while I was still in the states and could not have done anything to make booking a specially designed ride in Cotapxi National Park easier. Her on-line brochures were informative, pricing fair, and questions on her booking forms thorough. I was able to fill out everything on-line and even make payment via PayPal.

Once in Quito, our pick up time was confirmed and Sally met us at our hotel. Although we kept forgetting things and delayed our departure , she did not seem annoyed with us a bit. She took care in making sure we were properly clothed, allowed for food preferences and arranged our ride astonishingly perfect for the riding skills of my husband and me. Yes, the horses are well trained, responsive and clearly well loved and cared for. Yes, the scenery was all that we hoped to experience. Yes, the hacienda we stopped at was marvelous with gracious hosts. But then there is Sally......what an unexpected bonus !

We were given a marvelous tour on our ride to and from our horseback adventure which educated us on the people, plants, animals, politics,economy, weather,customs, landmarks,haciendas, even shopping suggestions. She was able to help me confidently decide how to spend our last two days in Ecuador and even called and arranged a driver for us to see the Mindo Cloud Forest. Her advise for our continued travel was given freely and was of great value to us. We both feel very fortunate to travel to a country we've never been to and to have found someone we completely trust.

I would recommend a riding experience with RideAndes to anyone with any skill level. You will have the best day ever !

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Julie W

London
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Amazing riding in Ecuador!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012

I rode for 2 days with Sally and her team at Ride Andes in Ecuador, and it was the absolute highlight of my trip. The scenery in Ecuador is so stunning, especially around the Antisana volcano where we rode. The horses are very well cared for, not the slightest hint of any mistreatment, and all the team who looked after them and rode with us were horse lovers, none of whom would have been happy to work there had the conditions not been top notch for the animals. Sally takes real care to ensure she understands your riding ability fully, so she can match you with the most suitable mount. She also works hard to ensure no animal is overworked, so horses are swapped or rotated regularly.
The hacienda where we stayed between riding days was beautiful, lovely and traditional, and full of history. The food there was delicious, as were the picnic lunches during the rides.
Overall, faultless, highly recommended!
One word about cost - this isn't the cheapest horse ride you could do in Ecuador, but my view was that I wouldn't get any enjoyment out of riding animals I felt were neglected. You, or more accurately the horse, gets what you pay for!

Visited July 2012
Houston, Texas, United States
“Great ride in Ecuador with kids”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

I took my kids (ages 12, 10, and 10) to Ecuador in June 2012. I wanted them not only to enjoy the riding and scenery, but also wanted them to have exposure to the people and culture of the Andean region of Ecuador. Sally did a fantistic job organzing a trip that would address these goals and also appeal to the kids. We visited several schools in the area and got to spend time with the kids there. We also had a tour of the workshop of a master weaver near Otavalo, where the kids got to see how the weaving was done "in the old days". The horses were great. The accomodations were great, and the riding was some of the most beautiful riding that I have done. Everything down to the smallest detail was handled perfectly. I highly recommend a trip with RideAndes.

Visited June 2012
rideandes, Owner at Ride Andes, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
I am really glad that your children enjoyed the ride, they were relaxed and confident with the horses and it wasgreat to ride with you all.
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Amazing Daylong Ride”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

When my husband and I started to plan our Ecuadorian honeymoon, we saw that Ride Andes was the #1 activity on TripAdvisor and decided we couldn't miss a tour with them. The only problem? Neither of us had been on a horse since we were 8. Oh, and we're both huge klutzes. With no sense of direction. Or Spanish language skills. And a propensity for disaster! Yay, this was going to be fun. We put down a deposit for a daylong ride.

The other times hubs and I have made spontaneous decisions like this, one or the other of us has ended up in the hospital. I am happy to say that this was not the case with Ride Andes. As a matter of fact, we had a blast; it was one of the highlights of our trip.

Sally, a native of England but longtime resident of the Quito area, matched us with the perfect horses--patient and forgiving ones. She planned a 15-mile route no less stunning for its gentle easiness. The views were spectacular, the climates remarkably varied, and the picnic lunch she packed was delicious, full of fresh cheese and local Ecuadorian produce.

Should you choose to book a tour with Ride Andes, Sally will tell you all of this, but take her seriously when she gives you the following advice: 1. Wear layers. During our 6-hour ride, the weather ranged from about 45 degrees Fahrenheit and raining to 85 degrees and sunny. I had a tank top, flannel shirt, and Barbour hunting jacket on and needed them all. 2. Don't underestimate how strenuous the activity is. New riders will be SORE after a daylong ride and should probably not attempt more than that before they're used to what it feels like. And 3. Make sure you have a camera (and a jacket pocket you can put it in, for easy access)!!

As you'll see in the pictures my husband and I took, we came REALLY close to two condors at the end of our ride--an awe-inspiring sight, and one we were very happy to be able to record. Thank you, Sally and team, for a truly special day.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank Anna S
New Windsor, New York
“Rides Andes great experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

Just returned from a trip to Ecuador with my 7 year old grandson. We had an opportuniity to go out on a one day ride with Sally. Wow what a great experience! Sally was very helpful to two inexperienced riders. Her knowledge or the flora and fauna made our ride even more enjoyable. I highly recommend taking a trip in the Andes with Sally.

Visited August 2012