“Hotel Andino in Quito, Ecuador a simple but friendly clean place”
Review of Hotel Andino

Hotel Andino
Ranked #27 of 232 Quito B&B and Inns
East Quogue NY
“Hotel Andino in Quito, Ecuador a simple but friendly clean place”
Reviewed October 2, 2013

This is in an old but renovated private home in a nice quiet part of the New Town (Mariscal), far enough from loud tourists but close to inexpensive restaurants. The owner Miguel is very friendly and helpful. Front gate locked at night but there is always someone at desk to let you in. Rooms and bathroom are very clean, breakfast nicely prepared even for early birders like us. There was a temporary glitch with hot water (probably temperature set too low) but this was quickly repaired. The only small problem was lack of cloth bath mat to stand on after leaving shower and we had to ask twice for it. But they responded to our requests promptly. Double room was $32 per night plus taxes.TV in room, no phone. Restaurants are within walking distance, about five or six blocks on average. At no time did we feel any lack of safety despite warnings about robberies of tourists (there was three of us). As a mid range room for those who dont want or cant afford luxury but dont want usual backpacker cheap lodgings, this is a perfect place. A taxi ride to the historic center was $5. MIguel arranges airport pickup for $25 (we paid $30 because our plane was an hour late and driver had to wait).Had we been staying longer to mainly see the center and its great churches I might have looked for a hotel or hostal near the center (Old Town) because I have back and knee problems. But we were only staying three days/four nights (two day trips for birding, one day for sightseeing).....the last day was for seeing the Old Town churches. They are magnificent. San Francisco and Societa de Jesus are
the outstanding attractions. We had no time for the cultural center expositions on Pablo Neruda, Salvador Allende and an Ecuadoran musician/composer. Some churches close between 1 pm and 3:30 pm so plan accordingly.

Room Tip: With windows closed, and on weekdays (weather is cool) there was no noise on our street at all. We a...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Overpelt, Belgium
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I stayed for 6 days in hotel Andino in Quito. I was there for medical congress. I saw the reviews and because it was near the congresssite and near the city centre.
The staff was very friendly. Miguel was very helpfull: citytrips, calling taxis, in short every problem
he will fix it.
The neighbourhood is very quiet, but to enter the hotel every guest has to ring the bell, because
the door was locked to prevent not wanted guests to come in. Very safe.
The room and breakfast were basic but fine. Scrambled eggs on demand without extra cost.
The wifi worked fine too.

The metro at 200m, excellent chinese and italian food restaurants at 200-300m , the Pavarotti is
one of the best in whole South America for sure.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Edinburgh, UK
Reviewed June 16, 2013

I feel a little guilty about writing an average review as I messed this hotel around a bit with dates and they were very accommodating. The hotel could also be great, if it fixed two big and one small problem.

The small problem is that they choose to use a solid air freshener that smells like a urinal cake. It was so strong that I out it outside after one night!

The first big problem is that the door is locked from 6pm and guests need to press a buzzer to get in. This would not be a problem if the buzzer was only heard in the staff area but it is so loud that it sounds as if it is in the bedroom. We stayed Friday- Sunday and were woken on the first two nights several times each night up, with e last guests getting in at around 3:30.

The second big problem is payment. The hotel claims to take Visa but only has a carbon-copy system (as well as charging a 16% surcharge for visa, which was not advertised). Because carbon-copy is not secure, my bank in the UK declined the payment and put a stop on my card. This meant it took over an HOUR to check out as I tried and (because my card had been stopped) failed to get cash from a machine and then the owner and I faffed about with Paypal. It also meant expensive calls back to the UK to get my card re-activated. In my opinion, this hotel should not advertise payment by credit card as it is likely to be declined for the majority of non-ecuadorians.

If this feedback is taken on board and these problems are sorted, this would be a great choice as it has a good location, big, clean rooms and is very good value at $30 (+VAT and service)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank willgo79
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 13, 2013

I stayed here for three nights recently, MIguel is indeed a great host - very knowledgable and helpful (with great English). There is a supermarket nearby which is handy if you prefer to stay in and eat (there is a little garden inside the hotel, plus an area with a table where you can read/eat). I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank 1SoMo
Brisbane
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Miguel and family run a good hotel here. The rooms are clean and most are large with plenty of hot water. The position is excellent for those that dont want Mariscal....it is close to ATM, Supermaxi store, 10 min walk to Mariscal restaurants and travel agents. In a quiet area with a resident taxi man [Marcelo ] living opposite.
Miguel speaks great English and is a mini travel info person to help out with any travel queries you may have. Breakfast is included for the $25 and is the norm of bread, juice and eggs.
Free tea/cafe and WIFI.
I stayed here 3 times totalling 6 days of my 7 weeks visit.

Room Tip: Ask for the front rooms not the below ones at the back as they are smaller
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Springfield, Missouri
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We stayed at Hotel Andino two nights coming into Quito, and one night on our way back home in the first part of May 2013. We were so thankful to have Miguel and his staff helping us through our first visit to Quito. The rooms were neat and clean, the staff was more than helpful, gracious and kind, and Miguel was absolutely wonderful. He helped us so much with what to see, getting cabs, and navigating our travels. A great place to stay. We would highly recommend it!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I stayed here twice during my trip to Ecuador, the rooms I stayed in were very nice and the staff were really helpful and friendly. I felt safe staying here and I would definitely stay again in the future.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo