“Home from Home in Quito”
Review of Hotel Andino

Hotel Andino
Ranked #23 of 251 Quito B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 24, 2011

Miguel and Paula were such lovely hosts that we stayed here three times in the course of a month, for a total of 9 nights (in between trips to Galapagos & Latacunga). We had a different room each time but the service didn't waver. All the staff are really friendly and helpful and we just felt at home here! Its a quiet location but has a lot going on around and the Old town is easy to get to. We felt very safe here and were sad to leave.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 18, 2011

I live here in Ecuador, about 5 hours from Quito and stayed at Hotel Andino on business. I have stayed here twice and prefer it over the others I have stayed at in my years of visiting Quito. Here are the reasons why:
#1- The family that owns it is so nice I feel like they are my family. They even wrote down my number and address and promised to visit me if they come to the jungle town where I live. Miguel even gave me his personal cell number in case I had any trouble during my stay and needed him. (I was alone both visits)
#2- The location can't be beat! It's on a side-street far from traffic noise, yet one block from the main road where there are lots of restaurants. It's 3 blocks from the Ecovia, the local trolley system, that takes you straight to Quicentro mall for 25 cents. It's just down a short hill from SuperMaxxi where you can buy water, snacks, medicine or whatever you need. The surrounding area is very secure to walk alone as long as you act street-wise.
#3- Free breakfast included. Not a great breakfast, but the eggs are yummy. Many times Miguel and his family sat with me during breakfast and mapped out where I had to travel for the day.
#4- Miguel and his staff are at your beckon call. Need a hot cup of tea at 8pm? Delivered with sugar and a smile to your door. Need help getting around Quito? Miguel will give you an outlined map and call the taxi for you. Need a 3-pronged electrical outlet to plug in your PC and use their strong Wi-fi? Miguel will let you borrow his 3-pronged surge protector. I needed a table in my room so I could do some work online. They hauled in a small table and chair for me right into the room. Whatever you need, all you have to do is ask. I also asked to change rooms. No problem.
#5- Security and trust. You have to ring the bell to be allowed to enter the hotel. After 6pm, you have to ring the bell and wait for someone to unchain the from lock. In other words, there are no strangers coming in and out that Miguel and his staff don't know. Need a safety deposit box or safe storage. Got it. Need to trust the maids? Trustworthy.
#6- Can't beat the price in Quito for what I've outlined above. Miguel even was kind enough to give me a discount because I'm a repeat guest.

So what's not to like? Some of the rooms are a bit too small for comfort and very simple. I have stayed in 3 different rooms. One was huge with wooden floors, the other two were very small with indoor/outdoor carpet. 2 out of the 3 also had no windows. The large room with wooden floors carried sound and you could easily hear any guest who was walking in the foyer area right outside your room. Also, once my shower was cold. Other times though it was the best shower I've ever had. My friend changed hotels because she swears she was bit by bed-bugs but the hotel is VERY clean and I checked the mattresses in all 3 rooms. I was never bitten.

Room Tip: Avoid room #10. Next to hotel washing machine and can be noisy at times.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank chelseaprice
Reviewed November 23, 2011

Very clean & comfortable. Not fancy, but everything you need at great rates when compared to Hotels like the Swissotel 2 short blocks away at 5 times the price. Lots of hot water and a quiet place to rest. Miguel was especially helpful in interpreting my needs and helping me make arrangements since I presently speak very little Spanish. 2 days after I stayed there a new acquaintance in Cotacachi recommended this hotel to me & he had not known I stayed there!

Room Tip: Ask for room 4 or 5. On second floor and a little larger than some of the other rooms, all though a...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 8, 2011

My husband and I stayed at Hotel Andino for only about 7 hours one night between a late flight into Quito and an early departure the next morning to the Galapagos, so I have a somewhat limited experience to comment on. I can say that Miguel was extremely pleasant to deal with and always responded promptly to my email inquiries. The room we had was very basic, but it was clean, there was plenty of hot water and the beds were warm and comfortable. We felt the price was more than reasonable, especially since it included a delicious breakfast the next morning which they made a special effort to prepare for us earlier than usual due to our early departure. Our transfers from and to the airport were arranged with no issues. Overall our experience was very positive. Thanks again Miguel!

Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 6, 2011

I stayed here a total of 7 nights over the course of a 22 day trip to Ecuador and I loved my time at Hotel Andino!

The location is great; I was a solo, female traveller and I felt very safe there. There were a couple of nights that I walked around the neighbourhood and I didn't have any problems. It was fairly close to the airport and there were some decent restaurants and a SuperMaxi (supermarket) closeby. The hotel is locked up in the evenings and you ring the buzzer to have someone come and let you in. I never had any problems with the area (next door was a consulate (Polish?) and you would see armed guards on the corner).

There was wifi at the hotel, hot water, a great breakfast and a fantastic staff!! I stayed in 4 different rooms which were all adequate for my needs. My favourite rooms were on the second level and near the back.

Miguel is amazing. I contacted him a few times prior to my arrival, usually with questions or changes to my itinerary and he was very accommodating. He is so warm and helpful and I enjoyed our early morning talks while waiting for my taxi or tour group to pick me up. He also gave me a ride to Plaza Foch rather than have me walk or take a taxi which was really nice of him (he was on his way home with his family). My conversations with him in English were great.. his spoken English is really good!!

The other staff (mainly Maria and Cecilia) are also fantastic. I am not a big bug person, so when a big moth found it's way into my room and I couldn't seem to get it out, I didn't really know what to do, so Maria (who is probably a foot smaller than me and tiny), helped me. They also knew that I wanted a hairdryer so Maria borrowed one from her friend every time I stayed the night. There were many early morning rides to the airport, but they were always awake and ready to unlock the doors for me and help me with whatever I needed.

The breakfast was always great. They would normally give you a croissant with butter and some delicious jam, eggs (any way you want it), hot chocolate or coffee, fresh juice.. cheese.. fresh fruit. I really am not a big breakfast person, so I didn't eat very much, but the food was all made fresh and kept me going till lunch.

Wifi worked well. Sometimes it would disconnect, so I'd go to the router and just unplug/re-plug it and then it'd work fine again. I think they were also upgrading all the tv's to have satellite or cable, and there were a number of English channels which was nice for nights where I just stayed in.

Because I used Quito as a hub and did a number of overnight trips, I was fortunate to be able to leave my luggage with Miguel who would lock it up in a storage room. They also have safes but I didn't use them because I brought my own travelsafe. The rides to and from the airport were quite fast and cheap (except for a Monday morning during rush hour!). Miguel had Patricio pick me up the first night I arrived which was so great because my flight arrived late and it was about midnight when we landed. Patricio was waiting with my name on a sign and it was nice not to have to worry about getting a taxi etc.

I would definitely recommend this hotel. It isn't a luxury hotel or a big chain, but it is warm and suited my needs perfectly. If I am fortunate enough to return to Quito, I would absolutely stay with Miguel at Hotel Andino again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank agfallenangel
Reviewed September 13, 2011

I stayed in Hotel Andino as part of a package i closed with Gulliver.
I enoyed a lot the hotel. There aren't a lot of ammenities but there is everything we need: Wi fi internet, comfy beds and hot water.
The hotel is close to Plaza Foch and you can get a quick cab back to the hotel.
The staff is very welcoming and nice to the guest. No attitude. Just usual Ecuatorian good manners.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed August 24, 2011

This small family run hotel is ideally located a few blocs away from the nightlife district in a safe and quite area.
Our room was a little bit small with plenty hot water and cable TV. The room rate which includes a complete breakfast with fruit salad and eggs is affordable and fair.
The owner and staff are friendly and very helpful people.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family