Review Highlights
Great place to eat

This is an interesting market located on the fringe of the historic district. It is a particularly... read more

Reviewed February 18, 2018
alaskantravelnut
Anchorage
Tasty and affordable meals

Our walking tour ended at this food market and we were happy with these meal options at great... read more

Reviewed September 28, 2017

from $45.00
from $45.00
from $227.00
More Info
All reviews corvina sea bass juice cheap eats food market ecuadorian food old town walking tour naranjilla jugo papa vendors usd sights
Reviewed August 28, 2018

After hearing, for years, about this site, I finally had the opportunity to visit Ecuador. And, of course, my first stop, after arriving in Quito, was the "Mercado Central". There, I sat by the "Las Corvinas de Don Jimmy" stand, where I ordered my fare of corvina (a mysterious fish that you never see in whole). What the heck! I do not really mind what is it, as I mind its mouth-watering flavor. Fried to perfection (crusty on the outside, and moist, flaky on the inside), it was the prime meal of the day (at a ridiculous price of $6 per fare). BIG TIP: One fare is enough for 2 people. A must-visit site in Quito.

Reviewed August 15, 2018

Very cheap eats here. Had a huge plate of food with a juice/smoothie for $2. Was delicious. I would highly recommend. A good amount of locals here as well. Great spot to pick up some food to-go as well.

Reviewed August 10, 2018

Oh how I love a market! This one reminded me of so many of the Central American markets we have visited. Lots of stands selling prepared foods, meats, and fruits and vegetables. Unique to Quito were stands selling every type of potato you can imagine. Don Jimmy's is the famous Sea Bass restaurant here, with copious amounts of delicious fish that looks and tastes like fried chicken. Order one to share!

Reviewed June 13, 2018

Came here with a free walking tour and realized it would be a great place to get lunch. I’m a vegetarian and was able to find vegetarian llapingachos for $2.50, and there were also multiple stalls selling locros de papa. I also had a jugo de naranjilla for $1. Delicious and filling lunch!

Reviewed March 5, 2018 via mobile

During my 3 day stay in Quito this place became my go to place for a cheap lunch. They serve delicious local dishes for only 2-2.5$. You must try the traditional naranjilla fruit shake, it's only 1.25$. The only problem I had with this place is that it closes at 5PM ☹️

1  Thank Silke D