“Oasis in the heart of La Mariscal” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Casa Foch

Hotel Casa Foch
Ranked #47 of 226 Quito B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
“Oasis in the heart of La Mariscal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2011

This B&B in an ample guest house offers a very enjoyable stay for families. The rooms are tastefully decorated and comfortable. The included breakfast was very good and the ladies are happy to make your eggs the way you like them. Security was good and it is a perfect base from which to explore La Marsical and beyond. We used Quito as a base and the hotel was happy to keep our bags in storage. Location was great - a stone´s throw from Plaza El Quinde (although be ready for the buzz of the city especially on weekends and during Quito week).

Room Tip: If you have kids ask for a room with Cable TV.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Hebrew first
Nanaimo, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2011

I booked into this hotel as it was offering conference rates and was walking distance to the Marriot. I asked for a back room and had a room on Foch and arriving Sunday was a joy. The bars are closed on Sunday. Quiet nice sleep.

But Monday came and so did the noise.

The hardwood floors are polished on Monday and Tuesday I slipped coming down the stairs, as did a young man with a backpack. Hang onto the stair railings! The rooms are all different in decor. I found most had too much light for a good sleep. The area is full of bars and dangerous looking characters and lots of noise. There's construction around the hotel with a new bar being built across the street.

The people who run the place are very nice.

The breakfast is the same each day nothing exceptional but the fruit bowl is very nice. Luggage storage area smells musty.

I found the sheets were scented with some kind of laundry product (I took my clothes to the same laundry the hotel uses and the clothes came back with the same smell)

Room Tip: It's noisy in that area every night but Sunday. Bring earplugs and put an extra pillow on your h...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank sharon r
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2011

Our last 2 nights in Ecuador, after a 3 weeks round trip, we were very pleased to spend in Casa Foch. Lovely little hotel with a great colourful room, front of the hotel under the roof, with a smart bathroom and good beds. Just one block from plaza Foch, so we spent our last evenings in nice little restaurants and the Coffee Tree terrace just around the corner. The hotel has 24 hour guard, which felt very safe. The hotel management advised us very well to go to La Boca del Lobo where we enjoyed a lovely dinner. Breakfast was delicious with fresh fruit, granola and yoghurt and toast.
When we stayed in the hotel, the street was renovated which was kind of noisy to wake up to in the morning. At night however we slept beautifully and haven't heard a thing.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank myriam28
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2011

I stayed here twice on my trip to Ecuador. I had read the reviews on TripAdvisor stating that it could be noisy, so I requested a room towards the back of the hotel. I was given a room directly facing the street. This was dismaying, but I didn't want to complain; I thought I'd see how it went. The first night was a Wednesday night and it was fine. I was being picked up early on the Friday morning to go on a trip to the Amazon that I was somewhat nervous about. Starting about 2 am, the streets became EXTREMELY noisy, with car alarms, police shouting on megaphones, and even gunshots! Needless to say, I only got a couple of hours of sleep and was extremely cranky the following morning. As I waiting to be picked up, I complained to the bell staff, stating when I returned in a week, I insisted that I be placed in a room towards the back (it would be a Saturday night and my last night in Quito). I was assured that would not be a problem. When I returned, I was given the EXACT SAME ROOM! I was extremely upset, but I was told that the hotel was full and there was nothing they could do. I felt sorry for the poor man I dealt with, it was not the same as the man who had made the promise to me (an Australian teacher who clearly worked there part time). This was an extremely disappointing experience, needless to say.

Otherwise, the room was clean and nice enough and located in the center of the tourist district (hence the noise level). The breakfast was wonderful.

Room Tip: Insist on a room at the back of the hotel - though that didn't seem to do me much good.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2011

Casa Foch is a great all-round bed and breakfast in the main tourist area of Quito. The rooms are clean and spacious, with comfortable beds. The breakfast (included) is wonderful and always involved fresh fruit, just-squeezed juice, and a selection of cereal, eggs, or crepes. We stayed for 9 nights in July for a wedding and consider this hotel an ideal place to stay in Quito. The armed guard and gated entrance are also a must in Quito these days.

There are two reasons why I did not rate the hotel excellent, but these are not reasons that would preclude me from staying at Casa Foch again. The first reason is that the hotel can be noisy at times. If you have a room near the staircase (like we did) you can hear people (and their luggage) traipsing up and down the stairs rather clearly. I think the hotel would benefit from some sound proofing (i.e. putting some carpeting on the wooden stairs). The second reason for a one star demotion is the unfortunate existence of several drug users who liked to hang out across from the hotel at night. They were more of a nuisance than a real danger, but their presence did detract a bit from the overall experience.

In sum, great hotel that I would happily return to in the future!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back and away from the main staircase.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
northern california
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2011

Stayed here 3 nights (Tues-Thurs) before Galapagos trip as base to see the city and surrounding area, and so glad we did. A very cozy, friendly, well priced and intimate local hotel right in the thick of the entertainment and restaurant district. Location couldn't be better. Easy walk to most shopping, restaurants, internet cafes and evening spots. Great local color and ambience. Some of the rooms in the front of the hotel can be noisy, those in back are quieter. The staff is attentive, and helpful, especially Alexandra (thanks for the entertainment and sightseeing tips! Really enjoyed the international dance festival events), even those whose languages don't include english. The rooms are large and clean, but not fancy. No safes in the room, you hand in your valuables to the office staff, and they're put in the office safe. The breakfast, served in their small dining room, is cooked to order and delicious (fresh juices and fruits to die for, yoghurt, eggs, etc). Most of the other guests are European, which is value added in my book. Free internet service, and computer available. Walked most everywhere from Casa Foch, but it is close to trolly and bus lines which are easy to take all over the city. I moved from Casa Foch to the Hilton Colon for the 4th night in town, as that was part of the Galapagos package . When I asked the concierge for restaurant suggestions, expecting to eat close to the Hilton, the 6 recommendations (i asked for local or seafood) were all within three blocks of Casa Foch!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2011

We stayed at a triple room for a total of 5 nights --taking Quito as a base to visit Galapagos, Otavalo, Mindo and avenue of volcnao. At first we wanted to book Nu House but it's not available every night and Elena at Columbus Travel recommended this small hotel. We gave it a try and so glad that we did so. Casa Foch is a small hotel with tasteful decoration, comfortable beds (some people may think the mattress a bit hard but it's perfect for me) and hot water showers. Nothing luxurious but simply cosy, comfortable and clean. During our stay, all the staff we met were polite and friendly. Though with limited English, they're always trying their best to help. Daily breakfast is served at the sitting room area. We had freshly squeezed juices (they even took the trouble to entertain my sugar-free request!!!), coffee, tea, eggs, toast, fruit bowl, and the most yummy pancakes and crepes I've ever had. They even kept our luggage when we went to places. We're lucky that Casa Foch was doing a promotion during our stay and Columbus Travel refuned USD40 to us per night just by swithcing from Nu Hotel to Casa Foch. Even without the promotion, it's already very reasonably priced. I'd recommend Casa Foch to anyone without hesitation but bear in mind that there is no elevator so if you have very heavy luggage this may be a drawback. Also the neighbourhood is a bit noisy because it's close to restaurants, internet bars, bars and all shops.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends