“Amazing experience”

and up
Capilla del Hombre and Guayasamin Museum Access
Ranked #4 of 274 things to do in Quito
Reviewed March 6, 2013

This is something everyone should see. What a disturbing look at the reality of man. His art is moving and a real eye opener. We had a fantastic guide who spoke of the various works of art found in his home. Many of his pieces as well as gifts from other artists were found here. The museum of man was incredible!

1  Thank Utopianvoyagers
Write a ReviewReviews (1,447)
All reviews
"latin america"
in 16 reviews
"works of art"
in 8 reviews
"an english speaking guide"
"on display"
in 9 reviews
"well worth the visit"
"pre columbian"
in 6 reviews
"entrance fee"

Reviewed March 1, 2013

please also see Guayasamin's house, right next door. you may have to plan ahead to get an English speaking guide. I'm not sure. We happened to enter his house right when it opened for the day, when 2 other people had a guide, and we were allowed to join them. She was excellent. a woman of Russian origin. In the Capilla del Hombre there is a guide and video show. I do not remember if it were in Eng. or only Spanish, but both the human and the video were excellent.

1  Thank susan s
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised by the Chapel of Man. The concept and architecture were fascinating and the painting by Guayasamin absolutely breathtaking. I had just come back from visiting his house (where a lot of his art is exposed) so I was a bit "museumed-out". Both places are worth a visit though so I suggest you plan your time well.

1  Thank Ameliefb
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I wasn't aware of this artist but am now a big fan! The house is a treasure trove of art from various artists and is displayed in a very interesting way. His artwork is stunning in an equally stunning space (chapel).

1  Thank Georgia H
See more reviews
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Before I visited Ecaudor I had no idea who Oswaldo Guayasamin was, well I know now. His Chapel of Man is totally stunning. It moved me both to tears of joy and sadness as a stunning portrayal of humanity's struggle. I could have personally spent all day in the Chapel but the biggest surprise of all was the visit to the painter's home. This is next to the Chapel and only recently opened and has about thrity rooms filled with amazing painitngs sculptures ceramics and art work of every kind from all around the wordl. the house itself is of stunning design with each room a speciality in itself for example the bathroom had a sunken bath and cactus garden and views over the whole city of Quito. Inspirational especially seeing his studio. I recommended friends we met travelling to visit and they aere as stunned as we were, it is a must see

1  Thank DrAnnaSG