“do this even if you know very little about art or Guayasamin”

La Capilla Del Hombre
$110.00*
Small-Group Quito City Tour including Capilla del Hombre Art Museum
Ranked #3 of 267 things to do in Quito
Reviewed March 1, 2013

please also see Guayasamin's house, right next door. you may have to plan ahead to get an English speaking guide. I'm not sure. We happened to enter his house right when it opened for the day, when 2 other people had a guide, and we were allowed to join them. She was excellent. a woman of Russian origin. In the Capilla del Hombre there is a guide and video show. I do not remember if it were in Eng. or only Spanish, but both the human and the video were excellent.

1  Thank susan s

Reviewed February 27, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised by the Chapel of Man. The concept and architecture were fascinating and the painting by Guayasamin absolutely breathtaking. I had just come back from visiting his house (where a lot of his art is exposed) so I was a bit "museumed-out". Both places are worth a visit though so I suggest you plan your time well.

1  Thank Ameliefb
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I wasn't aware of this artist but am now a big fan! The house is a treasure trove of art from various artists and is displayed in a very interesting way. His artwork is stunning in an equally stunning space (chapel).

1  Thank Georgia H
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Before I visited Ecaudor I had no idea who Oswaldo Guayasamin was, well I know now. His Chapel of Man is totally stunning. It moved me both to tears of joy and sadness as a stunning portrayal of humanity's struggle. I could have personally spent all day in the Chapel but the biggest surprise of all was the visit to the painter's home. This is next to the Chapel and only recently opened and has about thrity rooms filled with amazing painitngs sculptures ceramics and art work of every kind from all around the wordl. the house itself is of stunning design with each room a speciality in itself for example the bathroom had a sunken bath and cactus garden and views over the whole city of Quito. Inspirational especially seeing his studio. I recommended friends we met travelling to visit and they aere as stunned as we were, it is a must see

1  Thank DrAnnaSG
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I'd never heard of the artist Guayasmin. This is his house, studio and a small museum. His art collection, some dating back to early pre-Columbian and through Goya, Picasso, Chagall and Miró is impressive. Wonderful colonial art as well.

And then there is the artists work. It's pretty magnificent and I'm no connoisseur. Although not well know in the US, he is world renowned, having received the French Legion of Honor and an award from the Chinese government.

Difficult to get to except by taxi, and make sure you have transportation arranged to take you back down the hill unless you don't mind a pretty easy walk.

2  Thank Michael A