“Best Service I've Ever Had in a Hotel”

Holiday Inn Express Quito
Ranked #23 of 116 Hotels in Quito
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I know that this review is too long to be fully read by most people.

So, let me begin by listing the most important of several excellent services first. I'll follow with one thing which can be easily improved. But, this hotel has provided the best service on any hotel in which I've stayed. This includes several "world class" hotels.

My wife came down with a sinus infection. I inquired at the hotel desk about finding a nearby doctor. The hotel had a doctor on call. She arrived at our room (along with her male assistant) within an hour of my inquiry. She examined my wife (taking the usual vital signs) and prescribed three medications. These were called in to the pharmacy and they were delivered to our room within another hour. There was no charge for the doctor's visit to our room. The pharmacy bill was $21.21 for three delivered prescriptions. Then, someone from the front desk (who was bilingual), came up to verify that we understood the prescriptions (since the instructions were in Spanish). All of this was started by one inquiry to the front desk. My wife felt like she was a queen.

Second, internet access is very important to us. The hotel had excellent "plug in" connections. Suddenly, the wired connection stopped working. The Wi-Fi access in our room was not very good. I called the desk, they sent up someone to see what was the problem. After a lot of work, he determined that my computer had a bad port for the wired connection. So, Wi-Fi was the only option. He, going above and beyond common service, brought up a wireless router to our room, he plugged it into the wall outlet and we had excellent Wi-Fi service for the remaining 3 days of our visit due to this dedicated router.

The final example of excellent service had to do with a "free night" because of a credit card offer. The hotel initially didn't know about this offer and billed me for it. We were leaving that day and needed to get to the airport. The desk clerk, Maria, realized that we were returning in several days and offered to "hold" the charge until they could sort out the situation (Incidently, this offer is not available with the Ecuadoran version of a charge card.) So, they were trusting me on this issue. When we returned, the issue still hadn't been resolved. Finally, Maria told me that they would work to get it resolved and that regardless of the result I didn't have to worry about paying the charge.

The exercise area is on the roof with a beautiful view overlooking the city. The equipment was very new and in excellent shape.

The breakfast was very nice. Especially appreciated were the fruit, the fruit drinks, and the yogurt drinks.

The desk staff spoke good to excellent English. And, they were very willing to work with me and my "adequate" Spanish.

The beds were very comfortable. The rooms were spotless.

The only thing that really needs improvement was around the clock coffee service which is touted on both the web site and on the in room list of services. Unfortunately, they have coffee in the breakfast area only during breakfast. The in room coffee makers don't seem to be well made. The first night's room had a coffee maker which didn't work. The room used upon our return had a coffee maker which worked for about two cups and then stopped working. It was promptly replaced by our maid. I would like to have coffee available in the public area all day (as is done commonly in the US), or if there is insufficient demand (pretty likely), have extra coffee pouches available to make more coffee in the room.

Overall, the service was fantastic. Of course, we'll return!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank 7Continentsymas

Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is a typical Holiday Inn Express, with nice big rooms, very clean and friendly, kind staff.
It offers free simple breakfast and has multiple restaurants nearby. Would stay again there without any doubt

Room Tip: ask for one far from elevators
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank gzcMexico
Reviewed October 27, 2012

I was with a group of 15 to Ecuador and Galapagos this month and we stayed at the Quito Holiday Inn Express on three separate occasions. Each time check-in was fast, the rooms large and clean, the showers (rain-forest shower heads) fantastic and the breakfast buffet more than ample. On the last night we were leaving at 4 am for the airport, so they offered to have box lunches ready for us since breakfast would not be set up that early. The business centre has plenty of computers and a printer, so getting boarding passes was easy, and keeping up on e-mail to home convenient. The staff were very courteous and helped us make our stay painless. They stored our extra luggage when we went to the highlands as well as when we were away for a week in Galapagos.
If there is a downside, the rooms on the street side can be noisy (in my case, a car alarm kept going off) so you should ask for one in the back. The hotel is next to a 24-hour cafe and across the street from a 24-hour McDonalds. One block away is a fabulous Argentine steak house called Esteban and within a five minute walk is a supermarket where you can stock up on Ecuadorian dark chocolate!.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Compuvideo
Reviewed September 21, 2012

I had a 12 hour stop at Quito Airport en route to Cuenca and decided to stay at the HI to rest up. I particularly asked for a quiet room, however got everything but. I was put right next to an elevator, and staff with walky talkies that were on the go all of the time. I dosed for about an hour or two over the lunch time period when it was quieter staff wise, and then gave up. The rest was really very good. The shower was a great experience, hot water and great pressure and all my needs were perfectly met including high speed internet and lots of working space. Just the noise. Ironically the windows are completely sound proofed, but the rooms inside the hotel are not insulated for sound at all.

Room Tip: Rooms are not sound proof, so probably best to get a room that is high up and away from other rooms...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Rina_vdm
Reviewed September 8, 2012

We paid ten thousand PC points per night for three nights lodging. The hotel is typical of HIE around the world. It appears brand new. It is extremely clean and reasonably quiet. My only problem is that the room did not darken sufficiently for daytime sleeping. Thankfully, I did not need to sleep in the daytime. The bed was king size, comfortable, and came with an assortment of pillows. Where this hotel really excelled was in the hospitality of the staff. They got us a doctor within 30 minutes of our request. They had chicken soup delivered to our room. On our final day, I could not get the printer in the (free) business room to print our boarding passes. The desk clerk copied the data from the computer onto a thumb drive and then printed the boarding passes behind the desk. There is a Burger King beside the hotel and a McDonalds is being built across the street. There is an excellent restaurant named El Arriero Steak House in the block behind the hotel. There are many other restaurants and bars within 5 minutes walk. There is also a supermarket and mall three blocks away. At midnight it is a $7 taxi ride from the airport and early AM a $6 taxi ride back to the airport. Taxi fares to anywhere else in the city are cheap. This is where we will stay on our return to Quito.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Huaschalocro
Reviewed August 29, 2012

I stayed here for two nights for free on Holiday Inn Pointbreaks, and was very pleased. Hotel had very friendly front desk staff who were great to deal with. Location was just around the corner from the JW Marriott where I spent the next two nights. Easy walk to the Mariscal district, though I was advised not to do that trek in the middle of the night. 4 free business stations, though there was not a pool. Only complaint I had was that the woman who was in charge of the continental breakfast was not the most helpful of employees and was constantly bothering me for my room number. I guess I looked like I didn't belong there with my shorts and T-Shirt!

Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank boddicker52
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Quito, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2012

Dear boddicker52,

Thank you for your review regarding your experience. I appreciate the compliments on our convenient location. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and apologize for any inconvenience the hotel staff may have caused. We will follow up with the staff to ensure that similar incidents won't happen again. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Thank you again for your feedback, and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you soon.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed July 14, 2012

The staff is the best I have ever seen at a hotel. All front desk staff were so pleasant. They each went above and beyond to make sure our stay was comfortable. They are so helpful, wether its to give directions, recommend things to do, call pharmacy to get your medicine delivered to you or to making sure the taxis do not over charge their customers.
I had stayed at the hotel in April and left a few items there, nothing big, a hat and few misc. items. Imagine checking in July and having house keeping bring you those items you left behind, I was amazed!

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Tommysmimi
HIEXQuito, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Quito, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2012

Dear Guest,
For all the staff it was a pleasure to receive you at Holiday Inn Express Quito. Thank you for choosing our Hotel.

Is glad to know that our facility and services meet your expectations. Our Staff is committed to provide the highest level of customer service you have come to expect. It’s our promise to you.”Great Hotel Guests Love”

Best Regards