“well situated place in quito”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Casa Bambu

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Quito
Casa Bambu
Ranked #49 of 253 Specialty Lodging in Quito
Paramaribo, Suriname
“well situated place in quito”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2014

the location is realy good. right between old and new town.
the hotel is clean and the stuff was friendly.
the night have been to noisy. i go to bed early and there have been kids playing pingpong till almost 11. a bit much.
the comunity area is a spot for the youngs and olds to meet up and exchange stories.
i wuld go again.

Room Tip: more the backpacker style
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2014 via mobile

We had a room with private bath. The room was huge, with bedside tables, desk and chair, and mini fridge. The location was okay, in retrospect it would have been more convenient to be located in Mariscal but the view from the terrace was lovely. We had breakfast there (not included in rate) and portions were huge. The reason we would not return to this hostel is the staff. They made us feel like we were being a nuisance to them every time we had a simple question/request.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Quito, Ecuador
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2014

First stop on SA trip, and a great one of them. Good atmosphere and easy mingling with other travellers. The rooftop porch is amazing with a fantastic view over the city.
For backpackers/travellers this is an awesome place to stay. If i return to Quito I'll definitely be going back.

Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
La Rochelle, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

Probably the best place I've ever seen in all my trips since ten years... I just couldn't leave that house. I felt like at home. Breakfast kitchen room bed staff were just perfect. Thank you I'm already missing your place and a special thank to la señora who prepares breakfast! See you soon!

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

Of the various places we stayed during our two week trip to Ecuador, Casa Bambu was by far my favorite. Clean, bright rooms and very clean bathroom with an excellent high-pressure hot shower. Huge kitchen facilities and rooftop with incredible city views. Large computer room with fast internet, a movie room, a small library, and plenty of nooks for lounging. This is the kind of hostel I actually want to hang out in, rather than just sleep in. Friendly, helpful staff, safe luggage storage if you want to leave and return a few days later. Pool table, lots of board games. Decent value at $25 total for a double room (and the rooms were huge, ours even had its own refrigerator). I did not eat any of their food so I can't comment on that, but the breakfast room / bar was adorable. It's true that this place is not as central (awkwardly located between the new and old town) but I didn't feel the area was unsafe. I would definitely stay here again if I return to Quito.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Arequipa, Peru
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013

I spent two months here and am generally happy I did. The building itself is great, with at least three kitchens stocked with pots and pans. A large patio has a beautiful view over the city. The only problem is it is located awkwardly between La Mariscal (new town / business/ party area) and Old Town.

In terms of cost that means: $2-3 taxi ride to Gringolandia (party area), or 10 minute walk to bus tram ($0.25), or 25 minute walk.

There is one great $2 lunch cafeteria nearby but otherwise for food you're on your own. The nice kitchens at Bambu make that not a big problem.

Hot water can be variable, some showers are better than others.

The hostel is usually pretty crowded with English-speaking foreigners. Because of its location I found the crowd a bit insular.. i.e. parties on Friday night at the hostel rather than going out to see Quito.

Overall I'd say if you want to party in Quito, you're better off staying in one of the many hostels in La Mariscal. The view at Casa Bambu is awesome but you're paying for it a bit with distance.

Also note: I heard the neighborhood this hostel is was supposed to be "dangerous." I did not sense that at all. For example shops would stay open until around 10pm, door open and cash register sitting there with a little old lady.. I never felt unsafe there.

Room Tip: Pricing seems to be all over the place, I think someone must be skimming off the top because talking...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Cologne, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

I actually would!!! I don't always say so, but when I do, I mean so! This is maybe the best and most complete hostel in Latin America! It counts with two kitchens, splendid showers and bathrooms! And a pissoir and soap!!! (For the uninformed reader: Ecuadorians hate soap in bathrooms, because their interpretation of Christianity doesn't allow them to use it) The roof terrace is splendid too and offers a view on the "teleferico" and the cities parks! Really liked it!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo