“Great Horse Ride in Pulalahua”
Review of Green Horse Ranch

Green Horse Ranch
Reviewed March 8, 2011

My wife (novice rider) and myself (medium experience) took the one day ride at the Green Horse Ranch. The owner, Astrid Mueller, is very friendly and helpful. She personally led our ride and it was just the three of us. The ride was a little challenging at times as you are going down pretty steep paths with loose stones. But we did fine. The horses are in excellent condition and very well behaved. (We went by where she had the rest of about 12 or 15 more horses all in great condition) The views are breathtaking. We stopped along the way for a quick lunch (chicken salad) that was very tasty. We were picked up at Quito and were dropped off at the Cenbter of the World per our request. The ride itself was about 4 hours long, but as out of shape as we were, we could not have done much more.

There are newer reviews for Green Horse Ranch

Reviewed September 28, 2010

Looking for an amazing horseback riding experience where the horses are treated very well and the guide is top notch? This is the place! Astrid is very professional, and knowledgeable you will not be dissapointed.

Reviewed September 4, 2010

This trip was amazing. My husband, who has only ridden a few times was cantering the first day and by the fourth day was a pro. I ride everyday at home and had a blast. The ride was beautiful and every day was different. The horses were perfect and Astrid made sure everyone had a horse that suited their ability.
There is not a lot of options once you leave Quito in terms of hotels. There is no Best Western or Holiday Inn. So the accomodations are rustic. But we loved it. Our hosts were amzaing. We stayed in a 350 farm house, a B&B type house and a tree house in the Cloud Forest.
The food was great and the menu was accomodating assuming you let them know in advance. Like I said, there is no mega mart once you are out on the trail, everything has to be packed in advance.
Everything from getting picked up to the 5 days on the trail to getting back to Quito was handled for us.
If you want to see the country and the people of Ecuador and don't mind a little dirt, this was one of the best trips we have taken and we have been to a lot of amazing places.

2  Thank dmv58342
Reviewed June 7, 2010

A highly recommended day trip outside of Quito. We all felt that this was a welcomed change from the bustling and dusty city. Ranch is owned and ran by a German lady who clearly loves her horses and the beautiful crater where her ranch is located. Prices are also much cheaper than Sally. The horses are all amazingly well trained and bring an inexperienced rider, I was completely at ease and we even progressed to a canter. Lovely!

Reviewed April 20, 2010

I was able to set everything up over email with Astrid. She picked me up in Quito and even invited her niece (12 years old) on the first day's ride. I took this as a good sign -- when family is excited to go on the trips, you know it will be fun. I was able to try a variety of horses during my three days of riding and learned how well Astid matches the horse to the rider. As I gained confidence in my riding (and Astrid could judge my riding ability), I was able to eventually find a horse with whom I felt a 'connection.' What an amazing difference. It's important that you tell Astrid your experience level and that you're very honest. She has horses for all riding levels.

The only surprises (not negatives, just unexpected) are that you stay in a hacienda or (very nice) local hostel -- there isn't a Green Horse Ranch home where you stay. Also, bring CASH to pay for the fun adventure. If I had thought about it, I would have realized that credit card usage is limited in Ecuador. I wasn't told in advance.

Astid is fluent in German, English, Spanish, & French, so communication is not a problem on the ride and it's almost entertaining just listening to Astrid switch between languages as tries to keep tourists from a variety of countries engaged in conversation. Meeting people from all around the world is one of my joys of traveling. :)

The views around Pululahua are wonderfully varied, and relaxing into the environment on horseback is a great way to see them. We walked, trotted, and cantered -- changing up the speed of riding along with the views so I rarely felt 'bored.' Finally, speaking of variety, the weather really does change big time (usually rain in the afternoon and sun in the morning) so bring the right jacket/sunscreen gear. It will be stored in saddle bags as you ride.

5  Thank zFunTraveling