“Amazing”

Bainbridge Island, Washington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Amazing”
Reviewed September 4, 2010

This trip was amazing. My husband, who has only ridden a few times was cantering the first day and by the fourth day was a pro. I ride everyday at home and had a blast. The ride was beautiful and every day was different. The horses were perfect and Astrid made sure everyone had a horse that suited their ability.
There is not a lot of options once you leave Quito in terms of hotels. There is no Best Western or Holiday Inn. So the accomodations are rustic. But we loved it. Our hosts were amzaing. We stayed in a 350 farm house, a B&B type house and a tree house in the Cloud Forest.
The food was great and the menu was accomodating assuming you let them know in advance. Like I said, there is no mega mart once you are out on the trail, everything has to be packed in advance.
Everything from getting picked up to the 5 days on the trail to getting back to Quito was handled for us.
If you want to see the country and the people of Ecuador and don't mind a little dirt, this was one of the best trips we have taken and we have been to a lot of amazing places.

2 Thank dmv58342

Singapore, Singapore
66 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 127 helpful votes
“A highly recommended day trip outside of...”
Reviewed June 7, 2010

A highly recommended day trip outside of Quito. We all felt that this was a welcomed change from the bustling and dusty city. Ranch is owned and ran by a German lady who clearly loves her horses and the beautiful crater where her ranch is located. Prices are also much cheaper than Sally. The horses are all amazingly well trained and bring an inexperienced rider, I was completely at ease and we even progressed to a canter. Lovely!

Ocean Springs
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Fun Riding”
Reviewed April 20, 2010

I was able to set everything up over email with Astrid. She picked me up in Quito and even invited her niece (12 years old) on the first day's ride. I took this as a good sign -- when family is excited to go on the trips, you know it will be fun. I was able to try a variety of horses during my three days of riding and learned how well Astid matches the horse to the rider. As I gained confidence in my riding (and Astrid could judge my riding ability), I was able to eventually find a horse with whom I felt a 'connection.' What an amazing difference. It's important that you tell Astrid your experience level and that you're very honest. She has horses for all riding levels.

The only surprises (not negatives, just unexpected) are that you stay in a hacienda or (very nice) local hostel -- there isn't a Green Horse Ranch home where you stay. Also, bring CASH to pay for the fun adventure. If I had thought about it, I would have realized that credit card usage is limited in Ecuador. I wasn't told in advance.

Astid is fluent in German, English, Spanish, & French, so communication is not a problem on the ride and it's almost entertaining just listening to Astrid switch between languages as tries to keep tourists from a variety of countries engaged in conversation. Meeting people from all around the world is one of my joys of traveling. :)

The views around Pululahua are wonderfully varied, and relaxing into the environment on horseback is a great way to see them. We walked, trotted, and cantered -- changing up the speed of riding along with the views so I rarely felt 'bored.' Finally, speaking of variety, the weather really does change big time (usually rain in the afternoon and sun in the morning) so bring the right jacket/sunscreen gear. It will be stored in saddle bags as you ride.

5 Thank zFunTraveling
Hertfordshire
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“fantastic horses and beautiful views”
Reviewed February 21, 2010

I took part in a 4 day tour, unfortunately on day 1 my knee gave in (ligament ruptured!!) and I found the riding difficult. Astrid did everything possible to make sure I was comfortable as well as letting the other riders have an amazing time. the scenery was stunning and even from the back of a van at times was breathtaking.

La Merced
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“A perfect day with great riding experience ....”
Reviewed January 29, 2010

I took my two children (11 years) on a day trip with Astrid and her horses of the Green Horse Ranch. Only my daughter is an experienced rider - but there was no reason for me or my son to worry. Astrid's horses are well trained and taken care off and show great patience with inexperienced riders without holding back the more experienced group members.

Astrid took us inside the Pululahua volcanic crater and its amazing landscape and beautiful scenery. Lunch (food was simple but very delicious) was provided at a small hostal/restaurant. Coming back to the ranch Astrid surprised us with self baked German Christmas cookies - yummy.

Thanks again Astrid, we had a great time; everything was perfect - from the pick up in Quito, to the well assigned horses, the knowledgeable guides, lunch, .... and transport back to Quito. My daughter didn't wanna leave (except we take one of the horses and dogs with us) and is already looking forward to another riding tour with Astrid this summer.

If you look for a riding tour or trip off the tracks where you (and the horses) are well taken care off, I can only recommend to do it with Astrid and the Green Horse Ranch. We will most definitely do another tour with her this summer.

3 Thank countrylady2202