Review of Green Horse Ranch

Green Horse Ranch
Reviewed May 19, 2013

As I am an inexperienced rider, I had never been near a horse, Astrid, recommended that I should take two days. I enjoyed these days so much that I decided to extend for another day. It was well organized. We stayed at Alex's place, a Cech guy, really friendly and tranquil. He made us the best home cooked meals, even making special meals for a gluten free guest. His home made coffee was the best coffee so far. You felt really at home there. The rides were really relaxing and I enjoyed the scenery and the company of the other riders. The first day Astrid joined us during the trip, she knows a lot about the surroundings and the history of both Ecuador and the crater. The other days we were accompanied by the volunteers Sonja, Emma and Silja. Very enthusiastic ladies and dedicated. They were very patient and attentive. It was a thrill to climb up a mountain on a horse with such a narrow path. I have only great memories about this wonderful place and am so glad to have done it. Thanks again Astrid and Albrett for the organized ride from and to Quito, Alex for staying at your home and for the wonderful meals and coffee, Sonja, Silja and Emma for the great rides, Manuel for the company and last but not least ..... Gimli. You were great, enjoy your rest.

All reviews
in 13 reviews
in 6 reviews
in 5 reviews

Reviewed May 19, 2013

What a great vacation! Our ride was challenging and I was happy that I took 9 riding lessons in the 5 weeks prior to the trip. I hadn't ridden in 6-7 years and the ride we chose was described as intermediate to advanced. I went with 5 other athletic, middle-aged ladies(4 owned or had owned horses) and we had a great time. We rode for 4 days between 3 and 8 hours/day. The riding varied from walking in front of our horses on slippery rocky, downhill single track that was too dicey to ride them on to full out galloping that seemed to go on and on and on. And....everything in between. Definitely not for the faint of heart. The horses were very healthy and trained well. The packed lunches were delicious and mostly vegetarian, but I believe that was dictated by the group requests ahead of time. At the haciendas that we stayed in, breakfast and dinner was really great and we were all sure we gained 5 lbs....but thankfully not! The accommodations were humble but clean and charming. BTW BYOB. All of the people we encountered were lovely and genuine. I'd love to go back w/ my husband and daughter....that is if they take it seriously and learn to ride.

1  Thank Florence C
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Green Horse Ranch is a very professional tour company. It is run by a lady named Astrid Muller who makes a great effort to match horses with riders and match their abilities. I went with 5 friends and we rode for 4 days. We all were very happy with our horses and the terrain was extraordinary!! Astrid lead us on a journey that I don't think could be replicated anywhere! We rode the Puluahua crater on day 1 and then journeyed for 3 days on the next ride. We went point to point by horse and our belongings were delivered by car. The scenery was breath taking and I was very comfortable with my horses (I rode 3 different ones during the 4 days) all of whom were energetic yet very well behaved!
The accommodations were very comfortable bed and breakfast type homes and we really enjoyed the families who ran them. The food was all delicious, home cooked meals made from fresh locally grown food. Lunches were packed for us and we picnicked in the afternoons with our horses grazing nearby. It was by far my favorite vacation ever! As horseback riding does require some degree of physical fitness, I would recommend this to anyone who has the physical stamina to enjoy such a vacation. It was exhilarating and relaxing! Thanks to Astrid and her wonderful staff!!

1  Thank leslie1991
Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

I booked myself on a two day horse riding trip in the Puhulahua crater and had a great time! The ranch is in the middle of the crater which is a national park. It's a beautiful, very green and remote place, perfect setting for horse riding. There were plenty of horses to choose from, including Western or English style, and all horses were of great quality. The owner, Astrid, is lovely German lady, very friendly and helpful, as were the girls working on the ranch and accompanying us on the trips. I'd highly recommend the Green Horse Ranch to anyone who would like to do some horse riding in Ecuador!

See more reviews
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We called Green Horse Ranch yesterday morning as a last minute thing, not thinking they could take us, but they were very accommodating and organized things in a bit of a whirl for us. And was a delight for us! We rode around the crater Pululahua....a oasis of it's own. The scenery was magical and the horse ride was suited to our skills perfectly. Astrid is not only an expert in handling horses, she is a wealth of information and pleasant conversation. If we come back. we're definitely doing again...and probably an overnight next time! This experience was definitely a jewel in our trip!