“Nice surprise”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Quito
PampaLlacta Termales Hostel
Ranked #53 of 256 Specialty Lodging in Quito
New Mexico
“Nice surprise”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

We chose to stay local and not overnight at the more expensive spa. We were welcomed warmly and given the opportunity to see the rooms available and choose what we wanted. I was pleasantly surprised that while small, our room had a nice fireplace and good sized personal pool for enjoying the hot waters in our room. The bathroom was also small. Everything was clean.

We ate dinner in the dining room at extra cost. We were placed right next to a small fireplace - gas heater which was pleasant. The service was slow and not attentive; however, our meals were good. I enjoyed a local dessert of figs and cheese with some hot chocolate - a nice treat before heading up to our room. We asked for someone to come and light the fireplace and start the hot waters in our room.

The room is chilly; however, as this was my second trip, I was not surprised and completely prepared. There were plenty of blankets and while I wish that the fire had lasted a little longer, was not bothered.

We enjoyed the thermal pools during the evening and then, early in the morning before anyone else was up. It was very relaxing and a pleasant experience.

Breakfast was part of the price. It was simple, but good. For those concerned about the instant coffee, this seems to be the norm rather than the exception. I always ordered mine with hot milk, while my companion ordered his with hot water.

Overall, I would return here again. It was not crowded and we did enjoy our stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 1, 2013

New years from hell.
I'll start with the worst, this place doesn't even have a first aid kit. My father fell down in the poorly lit (complete darkness) parking lot and the hostel didn't even have rubbing alcohol. We had to run to a hotel down the road which had a medical facility for my father to get cleaned and stitched.
Now going to the nasty details, we stayed at a 3 person suite called "Matt ew". Perhaps the sign in the wall lost the H, but the "ew" part makes justice to the room. There was no heat, no one came at night to light our tiny wood furnace. If you wanted to have heat in the room during the day you had to pay an extra $5 for wood. The floors were dirty, the beds were hard, there was a water leak, no TV, no cold or hot water (just boiling hot water, even in the toilet), no trashcan, a broken shower curtain, no closet, no Wi-Fi. After one night we never got fresh towels. The room,which had no number to identify it ion the door, was locked with a 1 inch padlock (think luggage locks). The hallway lights outside the room were broken. Dinner was $25 dollars, a steep price for Ecuadorian standards. It included assorted tooth breaking meats; a shrimp cocktail with (I can't make this up!) one shrimp; and two cocktails to drawn the sorrows. After leaving the hostel we realized we forgot a cosmetics bag by the pool, we called, and of course it never reappeared. I paid $200 for one night for 3 people, I regret paying every penny.

Room Tip: Just go for a different hostel
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Martin U

Travelers are raving about these Quito hotels

sebastopol, ca
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Well, we wanted to have an end-of-trip splurge at Papallacta Terme, as we had soaked in the public pools a week before, but it was fully booked. So our trip guide helped us book this place and we thought, "Wonderful! We'll save some money and go local!"

Our upstairs room did have a great view of the mountains and comfy bed. However, there were just too many negatives to give this place a good review.

I understand that there's no heater-- and we were happy to use the fire to heat us through the cold nights. However, our wood pile was small and 90% kindling. Didn't last long at all. More wood costs money. Just annoying.

Construction noises started early in the day and buzzed all through soaking in the great water. Kind of defeats the soaking-relaxation. They really should have let us know... didn't ask for an adjustment in room fees... we just wanted it to stop!!

This will sound sort of fussy, but Jacuzzi in the room could only be used when you found someone to let the hot water in. Kind of takes away the spontenaity and romance.

Everything sort of run down. The fireplaces make it a little sooty. Rooster pooping on the couch in breezeway to the dining area. It's all very colorful, but not what we were looking for.

The food wasn't good. They ran out of basics from their very small menu. Really really slow and disinterested service. Breakfast was poor and coffee was either instant or really old.

This wasn't the relaxing thermal water experience we had hoped for. Really too bad. I understand that it's inexpensive and not a fancy hotel, but i know they can do much better. Nobody staying there seemed to be in a very good mood.

On the positive side-- I should add that their driver from Quito was friendly and good. He drove pretty fast, but we felt safe-- and the trip was well under the 3 hours we expected. The price was reasonable, too at $60 round trip!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Guatavita, Cundinamarca, Colombia
Reviewed November 22, 2012

My friends raved about this place so I wanted to check it for myself.
I have mix feelings about this place as I came looking for quietness to write and right on the next morning all I hear is EXTREMELY LOUD constructions noises! Plus noise from wood cutting right on the property....
I was greeted by a drunk man who begged me not to tell the boss about it...

I liked my room and the hot pools, they have good temperature

I managed to negotiate the price down as paying $35 bucks for noise and a second night without my 'private jacuzzi' did not justify the price

Paquita, the manager was helpful and I am grateful for that
Their staff needs to be trained professionally, one girl that I asked to give me brewed coffee, gave me instant coffee and lied to me, I can tell clearly the difference between the two...
Much work needs to be taken in terms of training their staff

If you don't mind basic lodging stay here is FAR MUCH BETTER than Choza de Don WIlson that I found quite run down and dirty, I stayed there on my 3rd night

Happy travels!

Room Tip: Before going there ask them if they are gonna have construction/ renovation work happening!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Giselle G
Honduras
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I met a great family on the cable car in Quito who urged me to go and stay in Papallacta. The price of $150 for one night in the luxury resort did not appeal to me so I instead walked the 1km down the road to "Pampallacta hostel." My clue to leave should have been the shivering receptionist who was wrapped up in 8 layers.

For starters, this definitely is NOT a hostel. I was quoted a price of $50 initially, which then was moved to $35 when I balked. I was told "you'll have a jacuzzi in your room" which was not something you need when the best hot springs in Ecuador are supposedly just down the road.

I was surprised to find the room was spartan and, frankly, gross. The walls were covered in black hand smudges, likely from the fireplace. The "jacuzzi" is actually a stone pit filled with dead bugs and is ICE COLD. There is an unattractive PVC tube sticking out of a wall which has no nozzle. So, you're freezing cold, you've undressed and ready to turn on the water when...bam, you have to actually get dressed again and walk to the front desk and "request" they turn on the water for you. Very strange.

Then, I fell asleep. Woke up by accident past the mandated "fire time" in the room, which serves as your only heater. The guard would not bring me any wood for the fireplace because, he stated, it was too late! So, I froze all night long.

In the morning I met a miserable German couple who were equally dissatisfied. Breakfast was not very good, with the cold coffee served acting as salt-in-the-wound to an already sad 12 hours. I immediately packed my bags and left. I complained to the owner, who acknowledged all of my complaints but shrugged at the end, saying something about how he was working to improve the place. I would recommend he hurry up.

Room Tip: Don't go!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank VisitHonduras
Tustin CA
Reviewed June 22, 2012

A treasure of an inn, reasonably priced (perhaps $35 single to $60 for the best located double, including breakfast and taxes). It is located at 10,800 ft in the high Andes, near a National Park and Antisana Ecological Reserve so is a great opportunity to explore a high cloud forest ecosystem. This inn is a short walk from the more upscale and expensive Termas de Papallacta and the nearby Terra Foundation natural history museum (guides, nature books and displays), and half an hour walk from the Papallacta village. It is about a two hour drive or bus from Quito or a six hour drive (or longer bus ride) from Coca.

Our room was spacious, on a balcony above one of several crystal-clear thermal pools for soaking. We had a fireplace and giant tub in our room, which staff came and lit and filled each evening. The fire offered the only heating at night, but it was sufficient to keep us cozy, with embers still warm in the morning. Food in the dining room was typical, but served with an aesthetic flair. Breakfast and lunch were always accompanied by frothy, fresh juice drinks and delicious coffee. Dinner choices include locally raised Trout, beef, chicken and vegetarian dishes. One of our friends had special dietary needs which were cheerfully accommodated. We were all happy with the food and left meals very satisfied. All of the staff were very service-oriented and helpful. The manager, Pablo, and inn owner speak good English.

There's lots of wonderful primary forest hiking and birdwatching, as well as easy sightings of fungi, orchids, bromeliads and many flowers blooming, at least in late May. With their own 2 hour trail and a series of longer trails reached by walking up the road (see the Terra Foundation staff for a map and details), there is more to see than most guests will hike in the four days we stayed. Seven miles away (easily reached by taxi) is the National Park, with unlimited miles of trails. It is also possible to ride with Foundation staff up to the Paramo high country, if the rain is not too heavy.

WiFi is available in the restaurant and lounge area (worked great) and spa massages are available (we did not try these).

Room Tip: The upper level rooms cost more but area large with fine views.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank ExplorerMundi
New York City
Reviewed December 21, 2010

Wound up here after (we were later told) the Papallacta Termales hotel with the beautiful pool complex messed up our reservation. This place had a couple of small pools that were decently hot and rustic cabins (and I mean rustic, adobe with rough-hewn wood beams and thatched roofs) that slept one or two on the bottom floor, four on the top floor. There were also newer-looking regular double/matrimonial rooms. Arranged around a courtyard with an open-air hot pool, it looked kind of like an apartment complex for Hobbits.
Everything worked surprisingly well, including electricity (a couple of hanging bulbs), fireplaces stocked with wood and hot water (sometimes scalding) in the room and in showers near the pools. Beds were saggy cots but well blanketed. The staff did a nice job with dinner (delicious locro de papas (potato soup) and fresh trout, with some other dishes available) and breakfast.
We took a hike behind the hotel - a trail leads up a fairly steep hill, topped by a dirt cliff with some ropes anchored so you can haul yourself up. Was surprised to see some cows grazing on top of the hill as we enjoyed the views!
The point of Papallacta is the hot springs, and I'd advise staying at the Hotel Papallacta if you can - we walked to it (10 minutes on foot up the road) and it looked very nice. But this was an OK place to stay, and presumably much cheaper.

• Stayed November 2010
Also consider these accommodations in or near Quito
El Crater Hotel
Zaysant Ecolodge
Zaysant Ecolodge
#2 of 8 in Puembo
Hosteria San Carlos Tababela

Been to PampaLlacta Termales Hostel? Share your experiences!