“Unique location”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Haarlem, The Netherlands
“Unique location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

Very nice hotel at an unique and beautiful location.
Dinner was tasty and the jacuzzi super nice!
The owners were also very nice and helpful and had good advice about what to see around.

Advice is to stay longer than one night. We had too short time see the nice envirionment.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Wendy B

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

We planned to stay for only one night but extended our stay for another night. This place and especially the location is extraordinary beautiful. It has a magical mysterious athmosphere and is very quiet and relaxed. A perfect place to relax and unwind after spending a few days in the bustling Quito. We had a nice room on the first floor, with a fire place which we used in the evenings and a fantastic view of the crater. The staff was very nice and helpful and the food delicious. I definitely recommend a stay here.

Room Tip: Rooms on the first floor have more privacy
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Globetrotterin301
Québec
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

I do not understand the high rating at this hostel. Yes the location of the hostel is extraordinary, we have 3 beautiful days of hiking, the food is very good, 2 guys are very attentive and smiling but give 5 stars...
I noticed that several comments came from people giving only 1 in 4 reviews. Perhaps that we were in the low season? How to give 5 stars to a place where your meal is 18: 30 and 19: the door and the lights of the hostel are closed. It was impossible to have access to the internet or books.
,On their website they say that it is possible to have a guide and a gps trekking , nothing and no one was available, we were the only customers early December.The building is very beautiful but not warm, after hiking in the rain, a stove or fireplace would be useful, there was no heat and I was frozen.
The wi - fi connection worked only 1 day on 3
Our stove in our room was lit only at 7 pm. We had no additional log.
I advise not to pay the additional charge for room with stove, the price is too expensive. The household of the House has not been done, the floor was dirty before occupy the room. The problem is that the tour of the cabin is always wet and muddy and no employee removes his shoes in the rooms and in the hostel.
I would have loved to have the heat after the hikes, but we have forgotten.
We have hosted in several shelters in altitude in Europe and south america and the maintenance and the home even in remote areas was greater than this place.
Conclusion: a beautiful place but a wrong management. You can then request better employees.

Room Tip: Take a dormitory
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sherblanc
pululahua, Owner at Pululahua Hostal, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
First of all I want to apologize for any inconveniences that you may have had while staying at our Eco Lodge. Also I want to thank you for all of your valuable comments and we will make sure to fix whatever is under our control.

Yes, we are at a remote location and it is very difficult to get employees. They like to go to bed early se we cannot keep them to serve late meals, that is why we serve our meals from 6:30 to 7:00 pm.

The doors of the Lounge room, dining room, and game room close at 9:30 pm and this is posted. My wife and I are always inside so you can knock if you need anything beyond the 9:30 pm. We have posted this time so it is very unlikely, but possible, that the doors where closed earlier by one of our employees. I will make sure that this does not happen again and thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Regarding the internet I have to note that we are inside the Pululahua Crater and don't even have phone service. We have been very lucky to be able to obtain a low Cell Phone signal though a special modem and a special antenna that I placed near the roof. It is very bad if you are used to high speed internet. I hope that someday we can get high speed cable but I don't think that this will ever happen in a remote location. When the internet connection goes down, it happens a few times a day, we have to reset the modem which is upstairs so it necessary to tell us if you cannot get online. So again, sorry but there is very little we can do to improve this for now.

Regarding the books I am just very surprised that you did not ask for them. We keep them in the lounge room but have a lock in the door because they have been stolen from us. I keep a lot of very nice nature books about birds, mammals, insects, reptiles and they are expensive we have to keep them locked. I am adding a note in the shelf so people are aware that they can use the books.

The GPS service is available for the people that request the service at an extra charge $10 per day. I am not aware that we have denied the GPS to anyone.

A Spanish speaking guide is available for $5 and hour and again I don't think that this was requested. If you want an English guide than that is only me and I do not do it unless you hire one of my day tours or birding tours which are a lot more expensive. Again we are at a remote location and we are small outfit that cannot hire extra people when required.

A stove in the living room would be a nice touch! I will try to add a stove in the living room. We are 2500 m.a.s.l. so it is not very cold but we recommend to bring warm clothes. We also offer a very nice jacuzzy for those who want to get hot very fast at $3.50 per person but it takes 3 hours to heat it so you have to tell us in advance.

Sorry , we will make sure that there is more logs in the cabaña. We add them every day in the morning when we clean the room but do not check later at night to make sure that there is enough. I will put a bigger box to hold more logs. Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the feedback we will make a little emphasis on clean floors.

I appreciate your feedback! I will make every effort to improve our weaknesses that you have pointed out.

Renato and Paola
Owners
Austin, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

The Pululahua Crater itself is what made this trip so memorable. Gorgeous hikes, fascinating changes in scenery, mysterious fog curtains — the crater itself is not to be missed. Pululahua Hostel is also very nice. We especially enjoyed the jacuzzi and the upstairs cards/game room. The staff is fairly nice & helpful, although the owner can sometimes be a little grumpy. All in all, recommend a stay here.

Room Tip: The heated cabanas, which cost extra, did not turn out to be necessary, as we weren't all that c...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Jackson, Wyoming
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

We spent 3 nights at this hostal and didn't want to leave. We chose to take a taxi from Mitad del Mundo to the edge of the crater and hike down. The first view was amazing! The trail is steep in parts, so make sure you have good shoes and it's not raining. From the minute we arrived at the hostal we felt welcomed. The courtyard has beautiful flowers and the hummingbirds never grew tiresome to watch. The food was outstanding. I can't say enough about it. I didn't know soup could taste so good. And the desserts/coffee... One afternoon we borrowed some bikes to explore. The bikes could have been in better condition, but I don't know how often they actually get used. We also hiked on several of the trails around the hills and got a personal tour of the farm operations which was very interesting. We totally felt at home hanging out upstairs on the balcony, playing ping pong or watching a movie in the main room. We were amazed that we had the whole place to ourselves most of the time. Best Thanksgiving ever!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sunnylizard
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2012

Had a great time exploring the volcano. Very comfortable bed! We were picked up in Quito and Renato took us birding then to Mindo--he's a great birding guide too--then drove into the volcano in the dark. it was amazing waking up in the morning and walking outside to see the rim above us. THANK YOU

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Delta, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

Wonderful location in the bowl of an extinct volcano surrounded by cultivated fields and then up higher a lush cloud forest, filled with flowers and exotic birds. This is a comfy little hostel with no swimming pool or fitness center but there is a flower garden where you can enjoy breakfast while watching the humming birds on a sunny patio. Delicious dinners are served in a rustic lodge and the cabins are quaint. There are many trails starting at the lodge. Renato, the owner is very personable and accommodating. If you are a birder, you will enjoy Renato's enthusiasm and knowledge of the birds in Ecuador. His Ecuadorian heritage enables him to provide in depth information about his country and the locations visited on the tours.

Room Tip: Cabins with the fireplace make it more comfortable at night as it is cool at this high altitute.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Marian P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Quito
Casa Mojanda
#3 of 254 in Quito
Casa Agua Canela
Casa Agua Canela
#26 of 254 in Quito

Been to Pululahua Hostal? Share your experiences!