“Expecting a little bit more”

Las Cuevas de Luis Candelas
Ranked #966 of 1,432 Restaurants in Quito
Victoria
“Expecting a little bit more”
Reviewed March 16, 2014

My wife and I were in search of typical Ecuadorian food and found it. The price was reasonable and the service acceptable. Having said that, we were the only ones in the small, front part of the establishment (downstairs, hence the cave) on a Saturday night in March. The rest of the restaurant was through a doorway and was completely in the dark. We settled on a particular bottle of red wine but were told that, unfortunately, no bottles of red wine were available but that we could order by the glass. Having then settled on that, perhaps 10 minutes passed before the waiter appeared with a full bottle of a different wine, not what we had ordered. Our meals were mediocre; soup lacked much flavour and the steak was a work-out. The chivo seco was slightly better. Avoid the apple cake. Overall a mediocre experience, although the ambiance of the cave-like room was cozy on a cool, raining evening.

• Visited March 2014

Montreal, Canada
“Good Place - Good Food - Good Service”
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Despite the fact that plates are a way too large !! the food is very good, Ecuadorian stew, Creole's pork, and paella Valenciana are good !! If you take a plate for yourself .. Plan a doggy bag for someone on the road .. or share a plate !!

• Visited July 2012
Quito, Ecuador
“Lovely restaurant, great service and traditional Ecuadorian food”
Reviewed January 4, 2012

We were almost put off by the most recent review but thankfully paid a visit to this place.
It was quiet, probably due to the rain, but they were very hospitable and so polite.
We ordered Seco de Chivo and Fritada pork something. Both delicious and we really enjoyed it!
It was a shame it was quiet as it appears to have a lot of character and would be a great place to go when it's busy.
Our bill was very reasonable as we only drank beer and water as the wine was expensive but other than that more than happy with the value for money.

• Visited January 2012
Quito, Ecuador
“Never so embarrassed”
Reviewed September 11, 2011

We live in Quito and speak Spanish. After reading reviews, decided to try this restaurant.
Aside from the "fillet" that had to be sent back as it was so tough and definitely not fillet, we were presented with our $90 bill with a note saying (in Spanish) "We do not accept credit cards or $100 bills". The waiter said the machine was not working. We have been warned not to carry large amounts of cash in Ecuador and did not have that amount with us. There was no way I could keep from resorting to leaving my wife behind and seeking an ATM that woud accept Am Ex. After at least a half hour of searching with the help of a policeman and two ATMs later returned to pay in cash.
Restaurants of this category accept credit cards throughout Ecuador and we have never had a problem. As we look as though we are tourists, shouldn't we have been told before we ordered?

• Visited September 2011
4 Thank John W
Portland, Oregon
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I will always have a place in my heart for this restaurant.”
Reviewed May 19, 2010

I haven't been to "cuevas" in almost two decades, but I still think about it.. There used to be a scratchy record playing flamenco music and the place was lit with candles. The pitchers of sangria were inexpensive and delicious. I remember getting a dish called "Carne con Champinones" and "mejillones."
I miss Ecuador!
When I lived in Ecuador the currency was the Sucre. I have no idea how much it costs to eat there now.

1 Thank MeganPenaherrera