“Great authentic gourmet”
Review of LA VINA - CLOSED

LA VINA
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Contemporary
Description: A place that has maintained its culinary excellence over time, today invites us to enjoy the incomparable pleasure of their cuisine, in a renewed and friendly atmosphere.The doors of his local, recently remodeled, lead us to a modern and cheerful place, with two special corners, a fresh and sunny terrace surrounded by garden and a comfortable lounge that invites conversation among friends with a good glass of wine, as a prelude to a delicious meal.
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Fantastic ambiance, great place, very sofisticated, service and food are superb. Pricey but worth it

Reviewed May 20, 2012

Excellent food, good service, nice setting. The only thing it lacked was that "wow" experience that a few other restaurants in Quito delivered. La Viña deserves a place in the top restaurants in Quito list.

1  Thank Jeff C
Reviewed May 14, 2012

Was at La Vina for a business lunch. The restaurant is lovely, particularly the porch seating and the outdoor courtyard. Service was excellent. We had a seafood starter and I had fresh salmon - the restaurant specializes in Mediterranean-style food. Not the most exciting or innovative meal I've ever had but a nice place.

Reviewed April 10, 2012

When I put my fork down on my starter, I was fully expecting that I would be giving this place five stars. Simultaneously, my main course hove into view, and from this point onwards my proposed rating began to fall at an alarming rate.

Before I go any further, three things I should say to be fair to La Vina. We had lunched quite late, and were not as hungry as we could have been. The description in our guidebook had led us to expect somewhere a lot simpler. Finally, neither of us speak much Spanish, and it might be that we would have had fewer problems, or felt our problems were dealt with better, if we'd been able to make ourselves understood. Having said that, much the best service was from a waiter who didn't speak any English.

Due to that late lunch, we'd both ordered pasta (or rather seafood risotto for my husband) mains in the hope they'd be a bit lighter, but both of then were not only huge but also, especially the risotto, a bit stodgy. I doubt we'd have been able to finish them had they been served at a sensible pace, but coming hot on the heels of the starter they didn't really have a chance. We'd chosen this restaurant because it was supposed to have interesting wine list and had intended to have a bottle of red with our main; however, due I assume to our poor Spanish, we'd ended up with a bottle of sparkling wine with the starters instead of two glasses. Never ones to be intimidated by too much sparkling wine, we were hopeful that we'd be through it before the mains arrived; again we didn't really get a chance.

All of this was maybe forgivable, although super speedy service is one of my pet hates (when it means you can't finish your meal yet feel hungry half an hour after you leave). But it was then that things took on a flavour of Waiting for Godot. We'd tried to explain our problem with the main course, but I'm not sure how much was understood. The waitress (who was the person who spoke English, and had an impressive ability to walk in high heels) brought us the dessert menu and explained the specials. We also asked to see the wine list again. She came back very quickly to take our order and not surprisingly we still weren't hungry; we asked for a few minutes more (as by this point we'd been there less than an hour and didn't really have anything else to do on a rainy night in Quito). Half an hour later, we were still waiting for someone to come to our table, and could see the waitress sat at the bar on her mobile phone most of the tme we were sat there. We managed to get a glass of wine from the helpful waiter, but basically the person who was clearly the senior member of staff and who was the only person who spoke our language, just abandoned us. By this point I had really lost the will to eat anything else.

Reviewed March 25, 2010

For such a fancy place, I was really disappointed. I ordered octopus and it was really poorly cooked, too hard, uneatable. My partner ordered a carpaccio that only tasted like vinegar, he could not touch it. The worst part is that nobody came out and offered even an apology. Very disappointing and a shame to have taken an important customer to that place.

1  Thank vouchergourmet