“A nasty surprise from Zerohotel”
Review of Zerohotel

Zerohotel
Ranked #8 of 35 Hotels in Valparaiso
Reviewed February 28, 2013

My husband and I are going on a cruise and our embarkation is at Valpariaso. I had reserved a Standard Double room ( a very bright room with a King size bed featuring views of the city and hills of Valparaiso ) as described in Booking.com of Zerohotel on 23 January 2013. According to the terms of booking, the last day of modification or cancellation was 27th February, 2013.

On the 26th February at 5:00pm ( one day before the deadline for change,), I received an email from Booking.com saying that Hotel receptioist Mari Carmen had informed them that Zerohotel is overbooked and is able to offer me a standard twin room with 2 twin beds for the same price as reserved for my standard double room! I was taken back. Knowing that the days for which I will be staying at Valparaiso, it will be hard to find another hotel because of the cruise embarkation there. Over a thousand passengers will be needing hotels! I had to make up my mind whether to accept the change in less than a day or else I could lose my 30% of the total price of reservation if I did not cancel in time. In this short time I had to find another hotel!

At first, I was very upset, but my husband convinced me that may be we should still take their offer. However, when I received from Booking.com the revised confirmation for the twin room, I was furious. It was for the same rate, but now the description of the room simply states : Standard Twin Room ( the room features flat-screen cable TV and a private bathroom, ). First I have to settle for a smaller bed, and then the view is also gone! Even if the price of the room is the same, I don't feel that it is ethical for Zerohotel to "bait and switch " in such a manner! This is definitely NOT the room I reserved. As a result, I spent my morning on the 27th February rebooking another hotel albeit more expensive for our stay at Valparaiso.

Beware of Zerohotel. You may think you have reserved a room but they can pull a rug under you at the last minute!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank SwimgirlBurlington
RodrigoZerohotel, Gerente at Zerohotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

Dear Sir / Madame,

We deeply regret we could not receive or speak directly with the passengers who wrote this review. Even more unfortunate because all the inconveniences were due to a technical error, not a human mistake. Booking.com works with fax system for reservations confirmation, and that system is not always fully operative. The situation was exacerbated by the fact that first they booked a Twin room “Colores” and later changed to King room “Colores”.
We would have loved to have had them with us, convinced that we could have sought a solution, surely we could have sorted out the inconveniences , and they would have enjoyed their stay with us . Again something we could not achieve purely due to technical issues.

Carolina Medina A.
Business Manager Zerohotel

Reviewed February 20, 2013

We drove to this hotel and it took us a bit to find, but worth the wait. The staff is extremely helpful. We were in room 5 which overlooked the street, but it was very quiet. The bathroom is large and has great water pressure in the shower. Even though we didn't have the bay view, you can enjoy it on the hotel patios. The location is ideal. Breakfast is simple but after eating all day, that is all we wanted. They have a fantastic parking garage if you are driving. Overall we loved this hotel .

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Only if you get the few front view rooms overlooking the bay and port will you not be disappointed although the little hotel has a perfect location and friendly employees including a nice little garden. But if you order a sea- or portview room you might get a "colores" which means you are looking against a wall just 2 yards in front of you. Just too much for the heavy price you pay!

4  Thank 909Frequenttraveller
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I stayed here while on business for a week in the high season. The hotel is really close to the fun part of Valparaiso. To be honest, I only chose this hotel because all the decent hotels in Vina were full. The staff is warm, friendly, speaks decent enough English, and makes you feel at home. This place feels very much like a bed and breakfast. The rooms have classic furnishings with updated bathrooms. Some of the rooms have really nice sea views. They served a nice simple breakfast every morning.

I came back late quite a few times to find the place locked up. I had to ring the bell and someone quickly came to open the door. With the creaky floors it kind of made me feel like I was a teenager sneaking in at night.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Firstly the room cost US $250 per night, the most expensive hotel on our months holiday in South America.
The decor is in poor condition, I do not expect chipped and dirty paintwork at this price. The carpet leading upstairs to our room was very dirty. Our room had no safety deposit box. The room was very noisy and needed a deep clean. Generally lacking decor and care.
Breakfast was average.
The swimming pool was very dirty, so did not use it which was one of the reasons we booked this hotel.
On departure the staff showed no interest in how our stay was and they appeared not very experienced.
I disagree with other reviews, we live in a Listed Building in the UK that is over 200 years old, age is no excuse for condition.
Valparaiso is only a day trip from Santiago, hotels are overpriced, save your money you do not need to stay.

2  Thank Rick T
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed in December 2012 for two nights in this charming hotel. I cannot praise the staff enough. The welcome received was excellent. The receptionists were very efficient and very helpful and the breakfast team were very caring.

The decoration was good and this small hotel even has a swimming pool. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: We had a room facing over the town and harbour with a bay window. It was on the ground floor as well...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 17, 2013

First, the important bit: five stars, and a definite recommendation. Not a full-service hotel, in that there's no bar or restaurant, notwithstanding their honesty bar and breakfast room, but the period property itself is delightful and beautifully maintained, and it's in an excellent location. On arrival, we were offered the option to upgrade to a sea view free of charge, though the original room we were shown would have been almost as good. The room, with its wooden floors, large windows, and high ceilings, was a super place to relax, and the blackout curtains and crisp white sheets meant that sleep came easily. We would have liked to have had a tea or coffee maker in the room, but that's a minor point.

On top of all of this, the service is excellent and attentive, and the staff exhibit a genuine desire to ensure you enjoy your stay in Valparaiso. There are some first-class restaurants nearby, and great bars and coffee shops, and the team at Zerohotel are always willing to provide recommendations. In short, we loved this place.

As a final note, we were in Valparaiso for a very short time, and wanted to arrange a guided walking tour to ensure we got the best flavour of the city. The hotel organised this for us, and we spent a wonderful four and a half hours on foot, on bus, on trolley bus, and on funicular railway, enjoying spectacular views of the amazing city. Cristian Blanco Cangas, our guide, spoke excellent English and demonstrated an encyclopaedic knowledge of the city; he is also highly recommended, and can be contacted via email at cbcangas@gmail.com or via phone at +56-9-9-414-9261.

Room Tip: Get a sea view if you can.