“Right place for the right trip”
Review of B&B La Nona

B&B La Nona
Ranked #10 of 96 Valparaiso B&B and Inns
San Francisco, California
“Right place for the right trip”
Reviewed December 11, 2010

I stayed here with my girlfriend for 2 nights. The main draw was the location and the price. There is free high speed wi-fi and breakfast. Upon arriving, it was immediately apparent how invested the hosts were in making sure we had a good time in Valparaiso. The husband speaks fluent English and is very well informed about the events and attractions in and around Valparaiso (though he is a bit long winded). We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here. If you are considering staying here the only consideration I would take into account is that you have to realize that you are staying in someone's home, not a hotel. Its close quarters and a very interactive environment, as a couple we found that there wasn't an optimum amount of privacy for certain aspects of our vacation.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pro1982

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Baden, Switzerland
Reviewed November 21, 2010

we stayed here for three nights but we could have stayed much longer. this is a quiet b&b with only 3 rooms about 8 minutes from the centre. the rooms are very spacious, clean and you get a great breakfast. the host rené gives a lot of interesting information about valparaiso and surrounding. i would highly recommend this place.

• Stayed November 2010
1 Thank badeneri
city
Reviewed July 26, 2010

Arrived to Valpariso by bus, from there we taken the mini-bus #612 going up some winding hilly streets. We were warmly greeted, helpful local information, breakfast served 9am-11am with fresh fruit salad, wheat bran, yogurt, toasted bread, marmalades, salami, turkey, cheese, tea, coffee was a nice way to start off our day. Last bus going by our B&B was 9:30pm but it was fine walking up the hill, allowing about 30 minutes. The suggested laundromat service at the bottom of the hill Jeruselum was closed. It was a pleasant stay and experience meeting and interacting with other travelers also staying here.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank G L
UK
Reviewed March 27, 2010

i stayed here for a few nights & made it clear i wanted to have a relaxing stay in Valparaiso. The room i was in was next to the kitchen so there was a fair amount of noise whenever anyone was in there- morning or evenings. Some of the windows in my room had no curtains so as soon as the sun was up I was awake as it was light! The shower either scorched me or froze me I could not seem to get to get the water to run at a steady temperature to shower under.

My biggest gripe was the over helpfulness of the host. As i say I explained I wanted a quiet break but every morning he attempted to persuade me to go to this place or that place or to go riding or to see this museum. I kept trying to say I just wanted to relax & do my own thing, but I felt as if I was having his views imposed on me which just spoiled my stay. since leaving he has emailed me three times asking me to leave feedback- i feel hounded & obliged now to do so!!

the breakfast was nothing special- bread fresh fruit coffee.

For those who are looking for a b and b who will impart lots of information this is for you!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank JaneMUK
Amsterdam
Reviewed November 23, 2009

We have been traveling through South America for 5 months. Our stay at La Nona has definitely been our best stay in terms of service, accommodation and a place to feel completely at home. The hosts Rene and Carolina are fabulous people. They were really informative what things there were to do and on Chilean culture. Several evenings we enjoyed their company with a glass of wine and they also showed movies if we were interested. One night they also took us out in town. Apart from the extremely great service we experienced the B&B itself is also fantastic and has all the facilities you need (great beds, shower and bath, plenty of space, towels, wifi, computer access, books, films, games, and kitchen and not to forget a great breakfast everyday prepared by Rene himself). Rene also organizes tours. We visited with him some vineyards in the Casablanca region including Isla Negra and Pablo Neruda’s house. A great trip! We stayed 8 nights, but could have stayed longer as we felt completely at home. Rather than staying at a B&B we more had the feeling we were staying with a friend.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Graz, Austria
Reviewed March 27, 2009

This bed and breakfast does not only offer nice rooms and a spectacular breakfast. The hosts Rene and his girlfriend are really great - they have their own little handwritten "guidebook" to Valparaiso. For us it was more staying with friends than staying at a B&B, we cooked together, went out together and did some mountainbiking together. A really good opportunity to get a deeper insight into Valparaiso and Chilenian people.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 18, 2009

La Nona is set in a traditional house painted blue, in a peaceful location in the upper part of the city. There are only 3 bedrooms so you soon get to feel part of the group; one evening I shared dinner in the kitchen with a Dutch couple staying there (they did the cooking, I did the wine). Breakfast is among the best in any hotels I visited in Chile. I would have given this place 5 stars but the interior needs a new coat of paint and the bathroom needs a makeover (they say they are working on it). However Rene and Carolina are very informative and helpful; many thanks to them for making this a pleasant stay.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo