“Great View!!!”
Review of The Yellow House

The Yellow House
Ranked #9 of 104 Valparaiso B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 4, 2013

My husband and I stayed at The Yellow House a few days before our cruise. We loved it! The view was great, you see the ocean and town of Valparaiso! The staff was great, very informative, and always available! The area around The Yellow House was cozy and a bit rustic. There are a couple of shops and restaurants. The drive to this B&B was a little surprising at first, we went up a long, serpentine, and sometimes rocky road to get to the location. But once we got there, it all made since. Valparaiso is built on hills, after all!

Reviewed April 15, 2013

We booked at this lovely hostel for 2 nights and ended up staying 4 nights, and could have easily stayed more. Lisette and Martin (owners) are wonderful, they shared so much information and absolutely nothing was too much trouble for them. We wanted to tour the Casablanca and Isla Negra and they arranged it, turning the tour into something we absolutely wanted to do, so instead of one winery, we did two, and instead of lunch at Quintay, we had lunch at Casa Del Bosque (amazing) and then stopped at the largest swimming pool in the world (just to look) and then down to Pablo's house. This isn't your normal tour but catered a bit to each of the 5 individuals on the tour.

The B&B/Hostel is gorgeous. It doesn't promote a party scene, but the layout encourages communication and connections between the guests. We decided to do the cooking class with Boris on our first full day there. Admittedly we hesitated - we have never done a cooking class - but I am so glad we did this. Boris was amazing, crazy and wonderful all at the same time. We saw the markets, and then cooked a great meal, piscos, empanadas, fish sausage (beautiful flavour), corn pie and drunken pears! He had us all laughing and cooking and his pisco sours (one with chili and basil and the other with ginger) were brilliant. This event is surely a highlight of our Chile trip!

Both our personalized tour and the cooking class were very reasonably priced and a significant discount to those offered in Santiago. Yellow House is a B&B / hostel so do not expect 5 star, but instead an abundance of character and charm. Patrons ranged from late 20s to mid 50s when we arrived.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the two double rooms that overlook the town and if Martin can arrange it, he will, ev...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Interesting base to stay in and Martin the owner was great with his reccommendations for guides and day trips.Andreas was our day walking guide and he was supberb. Just uietly walked around with facts that we needed to know and it was most enjoyable. Would reccommend him to anyone for a days walking trip. Oliver took us the third day and he drove us south and gave us an 8 hour history lesson on Chile and it's politics. Facinating.Saw two vine yards and then onto Pablo Nerudas holiday home. Ended up at a quaint fishing village for a very enjoyable casual meal. Well worth doing, and Oliver is very knowlegable.Great breakfasts at the B/B each morning Martin did something else for breakfast and even catered for me as a diabetic, was appreciated.Introduced us to new people staying each day. Good wifi coverage and there is a computer for those without their own. Books from Swap library available. Small kitchen with tea and coffee and milk available and something to cook your own meal on. Really good.Very enjoyable stay.Thanlks Martin

Room Tip: Look at the web site.
Reviewed April 10, 2013

My girlfriend and I spent two very nice evenings at the Yellow House. I'd mostly just confirm what other people have said about it. Its a lovely little house, and a great value for what they are charging. The owner, Martin, is wonderful; incredibly nice, helpful, full of ideas about where to go, and endlessly willing to answer questions or show you places on a map. Boris, his "right hand man," was the same way. The rooms are cute, comfortable, and charming, if a bit small. We were in the "port view" room, which didn't really offer much of a view, but was very nice nonetheless. Breakfasts were delicious, and Martin makes a great cup of coffee.

Its true that the location was up a hill from the main part of town and away a bit from many of the nicest restaurants and most charming streets. But its Valpo, so all the accommodations were up one hill or another, and there were some nice places to eat nearby. The walk up and down the hill was easy enough and no problem during the day, but at night everyone seems to recommend taking a taxi (although honestly, the city seemed safe enough to us). But any minor downside was totally overshadowed by how lovely and welcoming it all was. Overall we would not hesitate to stay again at this lovely B&B.

Room Tip: The downstairs rooms can be a bit noisy if people are congregating in the kitchen or dining area. Mo...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 3, 2013

My husband and I (in our mid-thirties) really enjoyed our stay at The Yellow House. Besides that it is very clean, distinct (you can almost see it from anywhere in the city), includes a great breakfast, and is in a good location, I think the type of people associated with and those that visit a place are a great indicator of it's quality. My husband and I stayed for a full week, the "Foodie Week" which included a walking city tour, vineyard tours, a tour of Isla Negra, and 2 cooking classes (with their associated business, Chilean Cooking Classes - genius). We really enjoyed all of the people we met - our guides, our cooking teachers, and the other guests we met every morning at breakfast (in addition to some extended evenings with a few of them). Also, I want to give a special shout out to Martin. He is very welcoming and generous - I never felt like I was getting in the way or asking for too much. What's more, he is an interesting, kind man with a good sense of humor. I'd like to meet more people like him! Thank you, Martin, Lissete, Ines, Boris, Wladimir, Oliver, the German Pirate, and everyone else involved, for everything!

Reviewed March 27, 2013

I loved the Yellow House. I got the Port View room (not much view, but a nice room anyway. I couldn't believe the cabbie knew where he was going when we headed down the dirt street, but there it was. Boris let me in and made me a cup of coffee and spent 20 minutes going over a map with me and telling me where to go, and where not to. He also explained the buses and collectivos and trolleys, no mean feat. I don't think I've ever felt so much like I had a host instead of a proprietor.
There are a couple of downsides to the Yellow House. If I stayed there again I would get a room upstairs. My room was near the kitchen. Some of the guests made their own dinner and I felt like I was eavesdropping at a private party (that's code for me being crabby about not being able to take a nap or concentrate on my book because of the noise.) The other downside is the location. They warned me not to walk up the hill after dark. The tram quit running at 10:30. Chileans mostly don't eat dinner until 9. You do the math - I had to hustle (or eat nearby, or take a cab) in order to be safely home in time. The good news is that the closest restaurant, Cuarto Vientos, when it's open, which isn't every evening, is fabulous. Also, there were barking dogs outside my window in the middle of the night. But I spent 3 weeks in Chile and as near as I can tell, there are barking dogs everywhere in Chile.

Room Tip: Stay upstairs, away from the kitchen. Get the ocean view room if you can.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 26, 2013

this colorful and comfortable little hotel is a welcome relief in chaotic valparaiso. a place to unwind, take a great shower in a sun soaked bathroom, sleep on a comfortable bed, walk on cozy wood floors, have a very nice breakfast, use the lovely computer room / antique desk and just chill. highly recommended. If they took credit cards that would be a huge bonus!!! But the owner /staff was super cool and friendly and offered to accept paypal if in a pinch. I was able to get pesos but I was surprised how few places in Chile accept credit cards. So get some pesos and stay at this great little gem of a hotel on the top of the ascensor.

T

Room Tip: Well I stayed in Refugio 1 and it was quite nice and cozy and gets alot of natural light in the bath...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo