“Quiet elegance, excellent food, and friendly staff in a fantastic neighborhood”

Apice Cocina De Mar
Ranked #1 of 451 Restaurants in Valparaiso
Cuisines: South American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 16, 2014

I was staying for a week on wonderful Cerro Alegre in Valparaíso, and I walked past Apice several times. After a few expensive but not great dinners at some other well-rated restaurants nearby, I stopped into Apice spontaneously on my last night in Valparaíso, and I'l glad I did.

On this particular night, it was very quiet and I was the only customer. I wasn't very hungry since I had a very late lunch that day, so I only ordered a main course (the Chilean scallops). Despite my frugality, the delightful hostess/server Anita offered prompt, excellent attention and, since it was a slow night, we had a great conversation. At one point, the chef/owner came over and we, too, had a great conversation about food, espresso, and traveling.

The scallops were EXCELLENT -- the best I've had during my ten weeks traveling through Peru, Bolivia and Chile so far. The menu at Apice is minimal, but I like the concept. Both the quality and presentation of what they offer is superb. The people at this restaurant are good at what they do, and you'll be hard-pressed to find a better dining experience in Valparaíso.

Reviewed March 13, 2014

We were in Valparaiso for 2 days and happened to walk past this restaurant. We checked the menu, met the owner and decided to have dinner there later after a walk. The menu is simple, 2 starters, 2 entrees and 2 desserts. We opted for an entree and dessert. Local wines by the glass were paired nicely with our dinner thanks to our great waitress Anita. The kitchen is visible and you can see the chef preparing your dinner. If you are looking for a delicious dinner from a french trained chef in a beautiful city, look no farther.

Reviewed March 8, 2014

How lucky I am to have stumbled across this great find! Chef/owner is a local who studied cooking in Paris and returned home to create this extraordinary restaurant experience. I have eaten at fine restaurants world-wide and this is one of the best. Artistic, careful presentation. Each dish delicately balanced. Perfect pacing. A dessert that ranks in my top dessert experiences of my life; mind-blowing, mouth-watering. The menu focuses on locally-sourced ingredients in the Valparaiso region-- seafood and fish are the focus. I nearly rescheduled my travel plans to accommodate another meal here. Go with a friend, order everything on their (small) menu, and I promise, you will go home in a gustatory bliss! Opens at 8pm. I waited an hour to eat here after chatting with the chef. Best decision I made on my whole trip!

Reviewed March 2, 2014

this was funny, we were looking for a more local restaurant, but friends who live in Valparaiso, and in whose very good taste we trust
had mentioned this place,
so we booked a table for 10...
without having ever gone before ( talk about diving in the deep end).

I get there and was a little unsure
( disclaimer, I can be detail oriented)
the lighting was a mite bright, the colour palette was a smidge too neutral ( nice greys, but b&w photographs...) and it was a bit small.
then the food arrived.
the level of detail and taste is rare for Chile, if not near unique.
Take the time to savour, because we were taken aback with the food.
The chef came out from the visible kitchen, and we had a great conversation, about France, and Chile, and his upbringing in Valparaiso.

highly recommended!

1  Thank ABIIIChile
Reviewed February 17, 2014

What a wonderful find. The food was amazing. Evidently they only offer seafood dishes. The fish was caught this morning from local fishermen and served for dinner. It was a perfect meal for our last night in Valparaiso. Delightful staff that made the meal that much more special. Loved the scallops. My husband had the local fish with ratatouille - best ratatouille I have ever had. Great selection of wine.