“Best hostess and beautiful B&B” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of El Mirador

El Mirador
Ranked #5 of 96 Valparaiso B&B and Inns
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Best hostess and beautiful B&B”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stayed here only 1 night after we left our hotel in central Valparaiso and it was a welcomed change. Location is a bit out from the main areas of town and since it was holiday season, a lot was closed but luckily we had a car to drive to other areas for dinner. The rooms were cute, wi-fi worked well, and the breakfast was good. But the best part was the hostess - she was so warm and helpful - the type of person that you get more in a B&B than a big hotel. We really appreciated all of her effort to make our stay wonderful and comfortable.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Vancouver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

My husband and I, with two other couples, stayed here for one night in early December before embarking on a cruise. What a fun place! I found it through tripadvisor and it worked very well indeed. Our hostesses could not have been kinder. When I asked if we could have a different room, as the one we were given did not have a window and I'm claustrophobic, they immediately cleaned and made up another with no complaint. It turned out to be at the end of the annex with the most gorgeous view of Valparaiso imaginable. There were tables and chairs set out on the deck which was very comfortable. We really didn't want to leave. Although the area looks rundown, we had no problems walking around and found a mini-mercado (corner grocery) nearby where we could buy water, etc. And on top of everything else, we were only charged the price of the original room, not the upgrade. I would certainly recommend it.

Room Tip: If you can get one of the small suites which include a kitchenette in the building at the back, part...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Valparaiso, Chile
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

We stayed with Señora Marisal and Maria in November and had the best time. Excellent price, excellent value and excellent location. Breakfast was included in the price and felt like we were having our meals with family. And like the name there is a massive lookout at the back.

Fue un lugar muy placentero para nosotros. Nos sentimos como en familia. Las dos señoras fueron tan queridas y nos ayudaron con todo lo necesario en nuestro viaje. Desde el mirador que esta atras de la propiedad se puede ver todo Valparaiso y es una vista para siempre recordar.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Palmerston North
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

Marisol runs a brilliant B&B. Its right in the thick of life on the hill in Valparaiso but a block from a constant stream of cheap, clean buses. The area, like much of the City is a bit run down but felt really safe walking to and from the buses even late at night. The room had an amazing view along the coast from the port as far as Con Con. It was clean and well equipped, great shower and kitchenette.
Marisol couldn't be more gracious and friendly as a host. The breakfast was as good as B&Bs get in South America. After I checked out I had the rest of the day to kill before my bus to Santiago Airport. Marisol kindly allowed me to shower before I left.
Valparaiso is one of the greatest experiences of my life. Strongly suggest you do Tours4Tips the day you arrive so that you understand what the city is all about and why there are street dogs, graffiti, wall art, beggars, run down colonial buildings, musicians etc. This is a real life experience that will stay with you and it's brilliant. If you want to trot around in resort wear and only see the sterile side of life I suggest you go to the next bay - Vina del Mar - plain boring - could have been anywhere.

Room Tip: There are 4 rooms in the main house with no views but they look large and beautiful (not the city to...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Alliston, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

My husband, myself and another couple stayed here for 3 nights in Nov/Dec 2011. It was perfect. Hostess and others were extremely helpful with Canadians who didn't speak very much English. We had room overlooking the city on the hillside. Kitchenette enabled us to cook a bit of our own food. The breakfast served was delicious. Easy access to internet. Not right in the main downtown area but that's what we wanted. Easy walk to funnicular or bus. Shower fine and lots of hot water. Had a rented car which was a little too big and had quite a time prying it out of the parking spot!
Highly recommended.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

GENERAL COMMENTS: I stayed here as a solo traveler and echo what the recent past reviews say. Truly outstanding and friendly staff who were attentive but also completely let me relax and stayed out of my way. Maria, the proprietor, is friendly, wonderful and helpful, but also unobtrusive and so relaxed. She gave great recommendations for places to see in Valpo. FInally, the house is a bit old (but my room was very clean and comfortable), so my bathroom was on the small side and hot water took several minutes to get going. Once it got going, it was steaming hot and did not run out, so you could have a great, relaxing shower if you want one. Thought the bathroom was small, the shower itself was plenty big and the showerhead was big as well. All in all, I highly recommend this place.
LOCATION: It's in a residential neighborhood about a 10-15 minute walk away from town center (which I'm defining as Cerro Concepcion) I'm including a 1-minute funicular ride in that 10-15 minute figure, which costs 300 pesos (about 64 cents by today's exchange rate). If you like to walk a little, it's perfect. I loved the distance b/c it gave me a relaxing walk after dinner in the evenings. I always felt safe on my solo walks to and from the town center. If you don't like to walk, then there's a bus right out the frond door of El Mirador.
BUSSES: If you don't like to walk, there is a bus right out the front door that will take you to the town center, or even all the way to Vina Del Mar. I took the bus to Vina one day, toured around, and hopped the bus back. Very easy, and cheap (about a dollar, or 460 pesos). The bus system is a lot more chaotic (but it totally works) than, say, many European cities I've visited. There's not really a "bus stop" in some places. You just see your bus number, and wave it down and the dude will stop for you. He then steers with one hand, shifts with another hand, and makes change and gives you a ticket. I don't know how he did it, but it was pretty cool. In Vina I had an easier time finding a set bus stop to jump the bus back. I had no instruction -- just looked for busses 602 and 603, which Maria told me about, and it all worked out. Much easier than it appeared. If you want, you can also take the train/metro to VIna. I thought the bus worked fine and it was cheap.
DRIVING: When I reserved on-line, I asked about parking (they do have some limited gated parking space, BTW), and she emailed back with a map with directions to the place. Do NOT rely on your GPS if driving. Valpo streets are too small and windy for GPS to help. The map she sent was spot on.

Room Tip: There are three rooms in the main house, where I stayed. They're all nice. The apartments are...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

Had a great stay at El Mirador. Marisol is very helpful, and helped plan our visit, even providing hand written notes on the map she gave us. Breakfast was very nice and filled us up to 4pm. Room and bathroom clean and comfortable. Make this your place to stay in Valparasio.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple