“A Pearl in the Oyster”

El Peral
Ranked #8 of 432 Restaurants in Valparaiso
Cuisines: Contemporary, International, Gastropub
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: "In the heart of Cerro Alegre and steps of Yugoslav short walk you will find El Peral Restorant; a cozy terrace and beautiful garden overlooking the harbor and the old town of Valparaiso. The warm and spontaneous attention to their creators, from several artistic areas, merge into their cooking skills, giving life to a kitchen that plays with seasonal ingredients and traditional recipes of all around the world deliveran special a unique label to the peralino's flavor. In the menu you can find fish, pasta, seafood, salads, soups, delicious desserts and an exquisite Italian coffee. This unique place, located a few meters away from the El Peral traditional elevator, rescues traditional architecture and adobe walls, mixed up with beautiful sculptures and a really nice silkscreen wall-art, are the ingredients that complete this unforgettable experience facing the chilean oldest neighborhood.
Los Angeles, California
“A Pearl in the Oyster”
Reviewed July 3, 2014

I was stumbling around the hills in Valparaiso, lost, thirsty, hungry, and I found this hidden gem near a funicular. (It is located at subida el peral and subida Naylor near funicular El Peral #16 on the map.) I am a super picky eater. When I first heard there was no menu and I would just have limited choices in the set meal of the day, I wanted to leave. The handsome and charming waiter won me over. I felt like he was cooking the meal just for me when I scoffed at the idea of eating fish. The meal started with toasted bread with salsa. I had pumpkin soup, cannelloni with ricotta, spinach, and hazelnut, and a brownie with gelato for dessert. I also tried a Ruberg Pale Ale, a local microbrewed drink. (Choices: I could have had salad, fish, and a coffee.)
If you do choose to sit on the patio, there is a chance you will be dining with smokers. As a Californian, I am not used to this. I had to move inside because of this. The aforementioned waiter who spoke English told the other staff why I moved inside because they were initially concerned I was not happy with the meal. So, they really care that you enjoy your food. They even offered to set up a table in the sunroom. (A smaller room between the patio and the inside restaurant.. You can see the view but are blocked from the outside air.)

• Visited June 2014

Alpharetta, Georgia
“A Wonderful Find!”
Reviewed April 11, 2014

This is a wonderful, little restaurant in a great location with attentive service. They serve a set menu lunch with 3 courses of fresh, well prepared ingredients for USD10, plus very good wines by the glass for USD 2.

Yesterday we had our choice of gazpacho or hearts of palm salad, pan fried fresh fish fillet with couscous or fettuccine puttanesca, followed by dessert, espresso or tea. All were very tasty!

In addition, we were the only non-Chilenos in the restaurant. Always a strong recommendation in my book! This was exactly the type of restaurant we were looking for on our day trip to Valparaiso!

Visited April 2014
Ontario
“Nice surprise!”
Reviewed March 7, 2014

We randomly stopped in at this restaurant for lunch today because we were looking for a place with an outdoor terrace. There were a number of locals and no tourists so we took that as a good sign. Boy, did we luck out.

The prix fixe lunch included a fabulous appetizer, zucchini carpacio, an outstanding main, pan fried reinetta, and closing with a fresh fruit salad. All absolutely delicious, fresh and well -presented.

We were so enchanted with lunch that we went back for dinner. Did it meet our expectations? Well, yes and no. Food was fabulous yet again, however service was below expectations. It Appeared that it was the one year anniversary of the restaurant and family members had come to celebrate. Once we spoke up they improved their service. Unfortunately dinner options only consisted of a main. And the mains were light.

I highly suggest going to this restaurant. The food is amazing. The staff are keen. The setting is very good. The restaurant is a bit difficult to find...You have to go through the entrance to some artisan shops. You can find it near the top of the El Parel ascensor. It's worth looking for!

• Visited March 2014