“Lovely tour but guide not experienced”

Ruta Valparaiso - Private Tours
Ranked #6 of 48 Tours in Valparaiso
More attraction details
Owner description: “Ruta Valparaíso”. Walking city tours using public transportation.Why is it a good idea to experience one of our city tours?Simply because we are local guides, insiders. Our expertise tells us what you´ll love. Our tours are unique experiences related with the city, its people and its identity. We´ll take you to the typical places as well as to the hidden magical spots. Every detail with us can become a great story to tell.
Australia
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 138 helpful votes
“Lovely tour but guide not experienced”
Reviewed January 29, 2014

We were picked up from our hotel at 9am not by Leo or Christain as expected but a young French girl who had lived in Valpariso for only 4 years. She was very sweet and gave us an ok tour but nothing to rave about as she just didn't have the depth of knowledge or repartee of an experienced guide .

We were told our photos would be on the tour's web site but I have not seen them .

I had first read about this tour in the Qantas magazine so expected it go be of very high standard .
Friends we met on the cruise we did out of Valparasio had done the tours for tips and thought it was excellent with very experienced guide

Visited December 2013
RutaValparaiso, Propietario at Ruta Valparaiso - Private Tours, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Hello!!

We are very sorry to hear that your experience with our tour was only regular. We fully accept responsibility on the matter. We do not believe in excuses. We would only like to comment that the day of your tour was right before Christmas, and we had bookings every day, so regarding the pictures, we got a bit mixed up with all of the work. It´s the first time that it has happened to us, and will be the last. That is currently being fixed since we´re sending them now to your email, so no harm done there.

I do hope that you will enjoy them now.

We are putting our efforts in always training our guides well, and although it´s a slow process of years, since there is always so much to learn, we´re confident that all future services will be done with the highest standard.

Thank you for your sincere and useful opinion.

All the best,
Cristián Blanco
Ruta Valparaíso

Valparaiso, Chile
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Valpo heart and soul”
Reviewed January 29, 2014 via mobile

With Cristian Valpo opened up to us like one of Calvino's Invisible Cities. With its twisted history, its ups and downs, and the never ending vitality. Cristian took us to the less touristic cerros, and told us stories you will not find in the books. Full of wit and humor. excellent guiding for a city that deserves it! Thank you Cristian, my friend in Valpo!

Visited January 2014
RutaValparaiso, Propietario at Ruta Valparaiso - Private Tours, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Hello!!

I´m very happy that you enjoyed your Valparaíso experience!! Thank you for your comment!!
You have been enjoying our country as few people have. I hope that you have a great trip to the southern latitudes that lay before you!! All the best, your friend in Valpo, Cristián.
San Francisco, California
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Outstanding”
Reviewed January 23, 2014

The walking tour, given by Leo, was very exciting. We were taken where no tourist would be able to find. It was colorful and interesting. The tour was nicely paced; we walked, took a local bus, and took the old elevators. Leo was very personable. We highly recommend taking any tour. We were only sorry we did not do a full day tour instead of a half day.

Visited January 2014
RutaValparaiso, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Ruta Valparaiso - Private Tours, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
Hi!!!!

Thank you very much for your comment. As a company and for me, it is really important to give the best experience in Valparaíso. I'm glad that you liked it.

I really enjoyed the day walking around with you trough Valparaíso and taking the public buses, trolebuses, and the lifts.

I wish you the best in the rest of your trip.

Kind regards from Valparaíso - Chile!!!!

Leo Silva
los angeles
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“Best tour in a 40 day journey”
Reviewed January 21, 2014

We took day tour of Valparaiso with Cristian during our cruise ship stop in this lovely city. Cristian picked us up at the port and we commenced on foot, ascensor, trolley, bus, and collectivo to see the city. Cristian's love and passion for this city is clear as he took us to see the sights and explain its history and growth. He understood my husband's love of photography and took us to all the scenic viewpoints, all the communities with outstanding street art, and to the Saturday market where merchants posed with their wares. We also stopped at a lovely cafe and shared a meal with him. One of the highlights of the trip was a thrilling public bus ride that ascending up the hills of Valpo, giving us panoramic views of the city and port, and then descended rapidly straight down back into the city. The bus driver, along with all the passengers were laughing as the bus stopped.

Cristian made sure that we saw as much of the city as possible before heading back to the port and our ship. By walking and getting close up and personal, we felt that we really got a sense of the city. Since Cristian lives in or near the neighborhoods we visited, it was as if we were taken by a friend to visit his town. We went many places that tour buses and cars were unable to reach. After many port stops and tours, this was probably the best tour of all. We attribute this to Cristian's love and knowledge of the city which was very infectious.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank grmmybtty
RutaValparaiso, Propietario at Ruta Valparaiso - Private Tours, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Heyyy!!! I see that you´re now back home after a long cruise... So good to hear from you!!

Thank you very much for your kind words! I´m so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stop here in our city and that you felt the local friendliness. I had a great time showing you around my hometown.

I´m really happy that you were able to experience and enjoy being a local for that day.

You are both welcome to come back at any time.

All the best wishes for you back home, and may everything be in harmony.

Your friend in Valparaíso,
Cristián
Cambridge, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Best way to see Valparaiso!”
Reviewed January 15, 2014

We did a day tour of Valparaiso with Leo and it was fantastic. We wanted to add Isla Negra to our tour (not in the listed package), and they were flexible with that request. The office is quite responsive to email, so the logistics of setting up the tour were easy. The tour itself was great, and we felt like we saw and learned about a side of the city that we wouldn't have otherwise discovered. Leo (our guide) was enthusiastic and easy-going and really added to the experience. He offered us lots of information about life in the city and Chile itself. I left feeling like I had a much better sense of both. I highly recommend this tour service for Valparaiso!

1 Thank awhf
RutaValparaiso, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Ruta Valparaiso - Private Tours, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Hello!!! Thank you very much for this comment.

Was a real good day in Isla Negra and Valparaíso and I enjoyed so much the tour.

I'm really glad to show my culture, my places and my city trying to translate the subtle details of my laberynths.

I hope to see you again in Valparaíso!!!

Leo Silva