“Great ambiance and terrific view”
Review of Fauna Restaurant

Fauna Restaurant
Ranked #10 of 447 Restaurants in Valparaiso
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Our restaurant, with 80 seats, has a large terrace with an unbeatable view of the Panteón and Concepción hills, as well as an excellent view of the bay of Valparaíso. It is open daily from 12:30 to 16:00 offering lunch, from 16:00 to 19:00 cafeteria and from 19:00 to 22:30 dinner. The restaurant menu offers different styles of dishes: meats, seafood, fish, tapas to share, salads and a variety of desserts. We offer lunch and dinner a la carte and with a daily chef's suggestions. The Panoramic Bar has a variety of craft beers on tap and in bottle, as well as a wide selection of local wines from the country.
Reviewed May 12, 2013

We came on a Saturday and loved it. No reservation so we sat on the low sofas around a coffee table with other guests and ended up having a great chat with them. The food was very good and the accompanying accordionist made for a special touch. All in all, very memorable evening.

dimalow166, Chef at Fauna Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

Dear guest,
Thanks for your opinion. We tried to have live music pretty often, it creates a cozy atmosphere and all the people love it.
Right now we are expanding, sowe can have more rooms for you guys!!!
Thanks and we hope to have you here soon again!!
Cheers,

There are newer reviews for Fauna Restaurant

Reviewed April 17, 2013

Location
Its a small bistro / cafe close to Ascensor Reina Victoria, and you feel at home there. They have an antique based decor and the atmosphere is very intimate.

They offer a set menu for 5000 chilean pesos (about USD10) which was very good. There were choices for a couple of entrees and main dishes. The salad I chose was tasty, but nothing exceptional. The couvert was served after the salad, which was probably waiters fail. The food itself was excellent. I had salmon with pasta - the fish grilled to perfection and very nicely flavored, and a superb oriental style pasta. The dessert, lucuma cheesecake, was chosen from the menu with the help of a girl from the staff and was really delicious and well presented. As the menu set, they also have some desserts that vary from time to time, so just ask the waiter.

Beverages
Four options of red and another four of white wine, if I'm not mistaken, two of which with option to be served by the glass. No half bottle choose. Some beer options, and I chose the golden artisanal draft beer that turned on to be preety fine, though not excelent.

The service was not good in general. Maybe because it was already around 4pm, the waiter just threw me the menu and went away to the kitchen. Had to stand in front of it to ask for the menu set (which is not on the menu) and find the beverages.

Overall
I would recommend it to everyone for the quality of the food, as they can always improve service. The view is really beautiful, especially if you're seating in the terrace. Atmosphere also really nice, with lounge music from the Beatles to smooth black music. The food was excellent and the price reasonable (considering it's Valpo). I would go there again anytime I visit Valparaiso.
PS: Be prepared to hear some noise from the surroundings, as they seem to be expanding their area.

2  Thank EFIATKOSKI

Thanks for your opinion.
We are working on the service, we are doing training for them and thats why your opinion is very important for us.
Right now we are expanding, so we can have room for everyone and we gonna re open with a new a la carte menu and bar menú, which includes different sizes of wine bottles.
We hope to see you soon,
Best regards,

Reviewed April 10, 2013

For my wife at lunch around 2 PM this place had a range of ups-and-downs; we opted for 4-Stars but you can decide for yourself which of these factors are most important to you. A huge positive is that their menu-of-the-day was absolutely superb - cream of tomato and either beef or fish for 5,000 pesos i.e. USD 10 or 11 each. That with a beer, glass of wine and one dessert for USD 32 was great.

On the other hand, the waitress just perched herself on our shoulder prompting for an instant menu selection. We ordered a couple of drinks and asked for a few minutes to review the menu, but to no avail, she came back in less of a minute and pressed for an answer. A but the devil is in the details, their printed menu only covered the sandwiches-and-stuff and we were looking for a nice, leisure meal, Turns out that the menu-of-the day was not printed, only available verbally - in Spanish. Ok, so you can't go to a foreign country and expect everyone there to speak English, but it just so happens that Spanish is my native language - but not Chilean Spanish. Food terminology from one country to another can be an enigma, thus it required quite an active interrogation in order for me to translate for my wife. OK, perhaps all this was simply due to a single serving staff person, but I didn't take kindly to the perfectly fluent English-speaking guy who seemed to be the manager pressuring me for how much tip I was going to add to my credit card charge.

The view of the city and harbor is nice, but certainly not a 180 degree view from their terrace, which has a seating capacity for about 12 people; bring your sunglasses and expect ot get a suntan because there is zero shade. Seating inside is also for about another dozen people.

By all means I highly recommend going to the Fauna, just know what to expect.

1  Thank rodrigt

Thanks for your opinion.
We are working in improving our service, we are aware of this details and we appreciated your opinion.
We are doing training for our service team and we hope to have you here soon to live a new experience by us.
Right now we are expanding and we will have large capacity inside and outside in the terrace, so you will have a 180 degrees view.
Best regards,

Reviewed April 2, 2013

Cute and cosy little cafe with awesome views of Vapo. We drank tea and chilled out there for the afternoon. Staff are really nice & the vibe is great! Highly recommend.

dimalow166, Chef at Fauna Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thanks for your opinion, is very important for us to know what the people feel and we are happy to know that you enjoy it. Visit us soon.
Gisella

Reviewed March 21, 2013

I have eaten at fauna several times- everything I have had there was excellent, particularly the mero, which came with crab and roasted potatoes, and the carpaccio plate of smoked salmon and octopus "salami". (I think it is usually comes with octopus and scallops, but they were out of scallops the day we ordered it, so they gave us salmon instead). I don't usually like smoked salmon, but theirs is so tender, it's like butter- and the smoky flavor is not overpowering. I had my first pisco sour at fauna, which was also quite enjoyable. They don't make theirs with egg white, so if that idea turns you off, go to fauna to try one! The waitstaff are very friendly and accommodating. The first time I went, the kitchen wasn't supposed to make dinner until 7, but they made us dinner at 6 since we wanted something more substantial to eat. Also, they do have wifi, but it's almost nonexistent on the balcony. The views are amazing. All in all- fauna is my favorite restaurant in Valparaiso!