“The Best Stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 34 Hotels in Valparaiso
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“The Best Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2013

We loved our time at Casa Galos - everything about the place is perfect. It's in a great location for walking to restaurants, galleries, downtown, the harbor, etc. The neighborhood is safe and I can't say enough good things about the staff and apartment. First, the apartment has everything you need for a very comfortable stay. It's designer chic, cozy, neat, and well stocked. Every morning fresh bread was left on our door handle for breakfast. I liked that the breakfast was stocked in the refrigerator every day so I could eat when I wanted. The staff was so helpful - I couldn't get hold of the airline to check in and the man on duty took care of it for me. I went out for the day and came back to a note from him saying he had called the airline, checked me in and gotten our seats. I have never had such fine service and highly recommend that anyone stay here. I wish all my stays were so nice.

Room Tip: I don't know about the others, but I'm sure they're all good. Oops, I made an error pre...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Finnish first
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2013

Casa Gala was a very inviting small inn. We had a big room with a fabulous view. It was clean, comfortable and in a good area. The staff were very friendly and provided very helpful advice and restaurant bookings. The only thing we would have liked was more fresh fruit at breakfast.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Danville, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013

We stayed here for two nights at the end of November. I considered several of these type of hotels (small, breakfast included, etc.), and I am 100% happy that I chose Casa Galos. From the time we checked in until we left we felt very welcomed. There are six apartments totaled, and we stayed in #2 with the upstairs loft.

The mini kitchenette is stocked with everything you need. They provide eggs, jam, honey and butter on your arrival, and then fresh bread is left on your door around 9:00 am. Coffee and tea also provided. There are two bottles of some sort of peach drink provided as well, as well as yogurt. I found the peach drink to be too sweet for my taste and would have preferred water, but that's just splitting hairs. The eggs were also restocked the next day.

The neighborhood is fantastic. Again after seeing where some of the other properties I considered were located, I was happy to be in such a great location at Casa Galos. There are small grocery stores within a block or two if you need to pick up a few things. There are also great restaurants right down the block. We ate at a restaurant named Vinilo for lunch the first afternoon we got there. Very authentic Chilean cuisine. Homemade beer. Very welcoming, quaint, and the chef took a liking to my sister and after she raved about the ribs, gave her some spices to take home. When we told our waitress how much we loved the labels on the beer (obvious that the bottles get re-used) she gave us some of the labels.

When we first checked in Jorge gave us great suggestions for exploring the area on our own. We also had booked a walking tour through his company Perro Tours for the next day. Five hours exploring the more intimate side of Valparaiso. I'd highly recommend him.

The first night we were there we just wanted a quick bite to eat and went to the restaurant downstairs. We got some veggies and cheese, and when we asked to take it back to the room, they just let us take the plates and tray with us. Told us they opened at 11:00 the next day and we could just bring them back the next day. Again, another example of the being made to fell welcomed (even though no affiliation with Casa Galos, they are right downstairs).

We hadn't made arrangements for a return car to Santiago, and Jorge took care of arranging it for us. The staff is just so helpful and accommodating.

Now, not everyplace is perfect. As mentioned numerous times before, there is a lot of street noise from the cars because of the super cute cobblestone streets -- however, I think that's probably true for most of the hotels in the area. I didn't find it to be a disturbance, personally, but I was also aware of that from TA reviews previously posted. It's also an intimate hotel, and because our loft/bathroom were right over the reception area, we could hear clearly anything that was going on outside. And vice-versa. But since it's so small, there is not a lot of activity in the reception area, so it was never a problem. And for a couple days stay, it was fine.

I would highly recommend this hotel for a visit to Valparaiso. Great location, welcoming staff. We would stay here again.

Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2013

Stayed here 2 nights. The hotel is clean and nicely designed. Provided breakfast is simple but but adequate, kitchen is fully stocked. Best part of the hotel (reason for 5 stars) is the staff - very helpful, friendly, and spoke English well.
Only downside is you can hear the street noise from the front room that we were in, but it wasnt too bad as to disrupt sleep.
Valpo is worth a visit but not more than 2 days.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2013

The rooms were clean and comfortable. The staff were pleasant and very helpful. We had a great experience and I highly recommend staying here if you will be in Valparaiso. They have free Wi-Fi as well.

London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

We stayed four nights here in the beautiful apartment with mezzane floor bedroom. Jorge was the perfect host and everything was clean and very comfortable. He also organises tours for you and can give some recommendations.

Shame about Valparaiso. Ok so we went at the worst time. It was during strikes and the recent elections. However, I don´t think these can be used as excuses and make Valaraiso warrant more than a day visit. The strikes meant that the rubbish hadn´t been collected, the funiculars weren´t working and there was dog mess everywhere (though I think there´d still be loads without strikes). The city is a bit of a dump and you wonder which bits warranted UNESCO apart from the area where Casa Galos is. On Sunday and Monday the town shuts down and it´s really difficult to even find a restaurant (not helped by the elections). The good street art is severely outweighed by the liberal tagging on nearly every wall. Go there for a day trip but if you´re staying overnight for longer than one night then I´d recommend Vina del Mar which was much cleaner and had a lovely beach.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013

We had a great time in Casa Galos. Wonderful location, very helpful staff (they recommended the best restaurants and sights), light, clean and spacey apartments. Fresh bread every morning, kitchenette. Definitely the place to be in Valparaiso.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business