“It has always been like this”
Review of The Brighton

The Brighton
Ranked #27 of 35 Hotels in Valparaiso
Reviewed April 13, 2014

I used to stay at Hotel Brighton 15 years ago when I was working in Santiago. I think in those days it was more about the location and experience than the quality. You would think with all the negative reviews here people would just not go and then they complain. I loved this hotel and have stayed in all the rooms and on many occasions been here when there have been tremors ( not the best location for that !) Yeah it is noisy and the breakfast isn't great but they will serve it to you in bed. So if you want a bit more of an experience and don't mind the noise just go out and enjoy yourselves all night as there is plenty to do. Lets just hope it survives the current fire.

Room Tip: Love the room at the top ..tiny but cute
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank marmite7
There are newer reviews for The Brighton

Reviewed January 1, 2014

Nothing special. Our room was really small, located in the first floor and in front if the entrance, so we noticed very well every time somebody arrive to the hotel and slam the door because it is heavy and happened very often. In the morning was very noisy because of the traffic of the city downstairs and extremely bright because the curtains couldn't filter well the sunlight, so was really bright and warm... Mediocre breakfast for the money we paid.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 16, 2013

This hotel is well located and the staff are nice. We had what sounds like the nicest room ("Virginia Woolf") up under the eaves. I had booked it because it had a bath tub. They did not mention that the tub was truly tiny, one of those old fashioned baths that you cannot possibly lie down in. Luckily I had taken my own bath plug as there was not one. The bathroom fittings were all ancient and the grouting needed redoing, in fact the whole thing needs redoing. The bed was comfortable and the pillows and sheets were good. The room was a bit cold as the windows are draughty and you need eyeshades and ear plugs ( curtains are white and there is traffic noise from the streets below ). That said it is reasonably priced. I wonder if there has been a change of ownership as the breakfasts other reviewers enthused about were very ordinary.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 30, 2013

With this hotel you need to assume it will be like staying at the house of anybody living in Valparaíso. Both the hotel itself and the decoration are typical from Valparaíso and to expect otherwise would be a huge mistake. As in any house, it has details everywhere, from how old the bedding is until the furniture around the room.

Our room was in the top floor. It was very cozy but the roof was too low sow it had an odd shape like if they had adapted a room in the attic of the how. The view however was outstanding.

We did not demand much of them in terms of service, but since we had a car they very helpful by facilitating a spot. They only have one so it is worth gold (but free).

At nighttime the place was fun and upbeat with live music in the restaurant. Again, the view and location were awesome.

I would not recommend it if you want to go to a hotel properly speaking, but I do think that it is a very close approach to how it would feel visiting your aunt’s house in Valparaíso.

Plus, the price is great if you compare it to other hotels around.

Room Tip: Room in the top floor has a great view but the roof is too low. Other rooms have little balconys and...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ignacio G
Reviewed May 1, 2013

We spend two nights at this hotel and it was very good.the hotel is so charming in the top of Cerro Concepcion. The view is beautiful and the room...one of the most interested rooms I have ever stayed. It has a gable roof, which makes the room very romantic and different. The service was good, and the cat was adorable. Very good hotel.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 23, 2013

We stayed here for 1 night post cruise. We arrived at the hotel before check in and the extremely friendly staff took care of the luggage while we explored the area. The hotel itself is charming with fantastic views from the hotel terrace overlooking the bay. A taxi was neccessary for us to get here which was'nt cheap but worth it.
The room allocated to us was very small but very quaint with a seperate lounge area for all guests decorated again in victorian style. the only criticisms were that the walls were paper thin and you could hear everything that went on with neighbours,and that the shower room had an open vent and you could see into the upstairs room.This put us off having a shower,so had to make do with a strip wash.
we had the brighton afternoon tea which was delicous and an evening set menu which again was very good value and cooked and presented well. The waitress who attended to our needs was an absouloute joy.
Breakfast was served to you individually and was quite adequate. Overall we enjoyed this gem of a place and would stay here again. Thanks to all the staff who looked after us extremely well.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Friends and I stayed at The Brighton for four nights in February 2013. There's a great deal to like about the place. The location with it's views from a great outdoor patio are wonderful. In general, the staff were really good, helpful & attentive. The rooms were clean and the rate, including breakfast was competitive. My room was really tiny, but with a shift of the furniture, I was able to prevent hitting my head on the sloping ceiling! The only issue was the noise outside at night. The weather was warm, and with my pillow close to the open window, I was awoken too often to a chorus of dogs (there are lots of them roaming the streets) and/or neighbourhood hostel guests. A fan and the white noise it provided would have probably solved my challenge. To be fair, I did
not complain to the hotel and by no means would I fault the hotel. My friends staying in another room were not bothered by the noise. It was a small price to pay for all the other great benefits.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends