“Beautiful view darling hotel”
Review of The Brighton

The Brighton
Ranked #27 of 34 Hotels in Valparaiso
spokane, washington
“Beautiful view darling hotel”
Reviewed January 10, 2012

After an extremely long travel time from the US, arriving at the Brighton was such a treat! I'll say right away that when I travel I do NOT want an American hotel so this was right up my alley. The rooms were funky and the bathrooms even more so - I could look out onto the street and talk to people while showering if I wanted to - it was great. The rooms were clean, cute, and the beds were comfortable. The view fromt he deck of the hotel is worth the price of staying there - which was reasonable. The staff was very friendly and tried hard to be helpful. Most of the staff tried very hard to speak English while we tried to speak Spanish - Christian Martinez was particularly helpful. Having breakfast on the balcony was heavenly. Do stay here!

Room Tip: We stayed in two rooms because our daughter joined us 2 days into the trip and we liked both of them...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Gardiner, New York
Reviewed January 8, 2012

This place has a terrace overlooking the harbor with great views of Valparaiso. The pisco sours are good and the breakfast was one of the best we had on our entire trip. Friendly staff and a full service restaurant make it a great place to stay.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed November 30, 2011

If you're looking for four star chain hotel luxury then this is not the place for you - but if you like quirky, individual and interesting places to stay, then the Brighton is perfect! I had done my homework based on previous reviews so made sure I booked the Room A matrimonial so we had a lovely bright airy room in the eaves of the roof. Like others have said, there is some noisy from the terrace below but nothing that would prevent you from sleeping and the views we had made up for any disturbances. On the second evening we had some problems with the hot water but the staff could not have been more helpful in sorting out the issue.
Probably the best part of all was the breakfast on the terrace overlooking the port in the morning sun - unmissable! The breakfast itself was probably the best we've had so far in south America and to enjoy it on the terrace was even more special.

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank greengal33
Tamarindo, Costa Rica
Reviewed October 9, 2011

I'm only going to review the restaurant, but I would think the poor service in the restaurant is a direct reflection of the hotel! Here is my honest and unbiased opinion of The Brighton:

My Chilean girlfriend and I visited with my brother and sister-in-law, who were vacationing with us from the USA. They were not impressed as us also.
Two times my Chilean girlfriend and I went to have a drink on the terrace and The Brighton produced the same results.....we left very disappointed because the service was horrible! We were waited on in a timely fashion or did not receive our drinks in a timely fashion. When I say timely fashion, I mean more than 10 minutes to be waited on and/or more than 20 minutes to be waited on and served our drinks. I think I'm being generous with the times! And........they were not busy both times! To review, we left before our drinks arrived and/or before we were waited on...how terrible!

Enough said.....I would not recommend the restaurant at all and I would 2nd guess yourself if you think the hotel is any better!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Gringo66

Travelers are raving about these Valparaiso hotels

south
Reviewed May 16, 2011

Location and view excellent. Rooms clean, comfortable. Internet almost none. Bfast good. No rooms to accom more than 2 people. Rates run a bit higher than area hotels,bnb.Noise NOT an issue.

• Stayed April 2011
3 Thank looneytune123
Woodland Hills, California
Reviewed February 13, 2011

We were almost scared off by reviews posted on this Web site....but we're glad we went ahead with our plans and stayed at the Brighton. It is in a primo location with a spectacular view of the bay. We stayed in room "A" and had windows that looked out on three sides. It is located in the heart of the colorful neighborhoods and easy access via Ascensor Concepcion to the downtown area below us. There are also several excellent restaurants within easy walking distance. The manager on duty during our stay, Pauline, couldn't have been more helpful. And lunch on their patio overlooking the bay was a treat.
For my wife and I, it was an opportunity to explore Valparaiso prior to leaving on a cruise. People who stay here must understand that the building is unique and old. But our room was clean and comfortable and that is what we cared about the most. Our stay was most enjoyable and I highly recommend it.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
HOTELBRIGHTON, Propietario at The Brighton, responded to this review, February 16, 2011
Dear Terry thank you very much for the comment, we are pleased too that your stay in our hotel has been a great pleasure for you and your partner and the memory that will stay in Brighton, with its beautiful view of Valparaiso is the best they have.

The hope to return again in these parts, if this time was nice the next will be better.

Ruth Merchan
Brighton Hotel owner.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed January 16, 2011

We stayed in room X for several days, it is the one with the balcony over the restaurant in their website photo. Then we moved to room D for a few more days. Both have ensuite bathrooms. Room X is the nicest. It is larger than the others with a lovely little balcony over the patio with an amazing view of the harbour. Room D is another level up, smaller with roof eaves and a view is of the hills. It is still very nice. There is a large, comfortable common room with a couch, tables, chairs and the same great harbour view. The restaurant is very good and they make a fantastic pisco sour! Different musicians play in the evenings. Breakfast was fresh fruit salad, yogurt, cereal, toast, cheese, jam and choice of beverage, and was included in the price. The staff were very friendly, a few of them spoke English. Even the resident cats were friendly! The Hotel Brighton is a landmark in Valparaiso and is part of the "Atkinson Walk".

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear thanks for choosing us and give a favorable review to our establishment, we are glad that the time spent at our facilities have been his total pleasure and comfort. That's what you are looking for Brighton that all passengers arriving in this place to leave with a feeling of pleasure and love for the place where they were.

We hope to have you here, thanks again for your words.

Ruth Merchan