“great fun for the day”

Chilean Cooking Class And Anti-tours For ValparaIso .
More attraction details
Owner description: Taking a Chilean cuisine class with El café Vinilo’s chef was by far one of the best experiences I had in Valparaíso . This is the only place in the city that introduces participants to the history and culture of Chile and its food.The participants get to cook 5 to 6 traditional Chilean dishes. Gonzalo the chef gives the class in Spanish and English.Pebre, Pisco Sour, Ceviche ( The Chef explains the difference between Chilean and Peruvian Ceviche) Charquican (one of the most important dishes in Chile) Chuchoca de Maíz and Puré de papas con Naranja y menta which is a mi of mashed potatoes with oranges and mint .Before the class starts, we get all the ingredients needed at the local market where you can find all the typical Chilean fruits and vegetables.The class includes enough food samplings for most people to not need lunch afterwards
London, England, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“great fun for the day”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

in Valparaiso for the day with the family and after having a lovely meal in cafe vilno we decided to take gonzalo's course.

It was great fun and incredibly instructive. we learnt all the Chilean classics from a true master.

I would highly recommend it to anyone from a family to a group of friends.

Visited December 2013

Vina del Mar, Chile
Reviewed December 12, 2013

After five months of studying in Valparaíso, I decided to splurge and take Gonzalo's Chilean Cooking Class. Cafe Vinilo is by far my favorite restaurant in Valparaíso and I wanted to know how to prepare my favorite meals once home. After six hours of cooking and learning from Chef Gonzalo, I can safely agree that it is an amazing experience. He patiently taught me all of the basics and answered all of my questions. Gonzalo went out of his way to add my favorite dish, la Palta Reina, to our class even though it was not on the docket for that day. He is an awesome guy and a great teacher. I loved this class and would recommend it to anyone visiting Valpo.

Visited December 2013
Newcastle, Australia
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
Reviewed November 19, 2013

We did this great Chilean cooking class in Valparaiso. Chef Gonzalo Lara of Cafe Vinilo is full of fun, if slightly crazy, and infuses this class with his passion for the local food. What I especially liked about his teaching approach was that I did not stand back to watch a chef in action. No, it was hands-on experience for me and even included filleting a fish...something I have never done before! If we had had more time, we would have also done his Antitour of Valparaiso, but alas, time did not permit.

Visited November 2013
Indianapolis, Indiana
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
Reviewed April 20, 2013

My husband and I went to Chile for our honeymoon. Our first day in Valparaiso we went to Cafe Vinilo for lunch and after eating their delicious food, signed up for a cooking class with Chef Gonzalo for the next day.

I admit that I was a little nervous because while my husband is fluent in Spanish, I am not. This was not a problem though because, as Gonzalo explained, he can give me instructions by showing me. Also, I am a vegetarian, which probably threw a little kink in what we were going to originally cook, but Gonzalo adjusted things for me easily.

We started at 8am and went to the market to pick out all of our fresh vegetables and then went to his apartment (overlooking the city) to start cooking. We ate some avocado/cheese and bread for breakfast and chopped and chopped and chopped our veggies. Once the chopping was done, we began cooking so many different foods I can't even remember. Then we went to the restaurant and ate our yummy creations!

My only words of advice would be:
1. Come hungry!
2. The flyer states it is 3 hours, but when all said and done it was about 6 hours. (We began at 8am and started eating at 2pm.)

Visited March 2013
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“The perfect antidote to the normal boring tour”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Go to Cafe Vinilo and have dinner; it was some of the best and most interesting food we found in Chile. And then sign up chef, Gonzalo Lara to take you on his unique anti-tour of Valparaiso. It is the perfect tour, packing a month's worth of visits into 2-3 hours, done at breakneck speed, seeing parts of the citiy you would never otherwise reach, tasting the best empanadas in the city and learning a great deal about what it is like to live in Valparaiso. To see some photos taken on the tour go to http://justaddpictures.wordpress.com/2013/03/22/the-anti-tour-of-valparaiso/.

Thoroughly recommended