“Go where the locals eat!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Chilean, South American
Dining options: Lunch
Dining options: Lunch
Boston, Massachusetts
“Go where the locals eat!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

Fortunately a friend suggested this place, what a find! My wife & I were the only tourists there and loved it. The "Menu del dia" (day's menu) is a pre-fix offering that includes soup, main dish with side-order options and dessert for about US$6. Someone's prior comment that they get-it-right 9-out-of 10 times is spot-on. My wife's' fish dish was just OK, but my pork tripe dish and our soups were delicious, followed by a fresh fruit cup for dessert.

We had just completed an arduous 4-hour walking tour and were looking forward to kick-back and relax, so with a half-bottle of wine and a 3/4 liter of beer our total bill, including tip was about US$24.

You just can't say that you have been to Valpo without having gone for lunch at Bar Renato!

Visited April 2013
1 Thank rodrigt

Santiago, Chile
“My favorite divebar in Valpo”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

Be warned up front that they do not speak any English, but they are VERY nice. The owners wait the tables and cook the food 9 times out of 10.

I order the escalopa kaiser or the calugas de pescado.

Sit at the bar and talk to the old locals who go every day for one glass of wine after work before heading home.

• Visited September 2012
Valparaiso, Chile
“Locals spot with fantastic food and beverage”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

I stumbled upon Renato one day for a quick lunch, and have been going back ever since. Inexpensive, fresh and homemade fair for at a great price. The calugas de pescado (fried boneless fish) are the best in town, and the Escalopa Kaiser is out of this world. They do a great pre-fixe lunch Menu, and fill up at night with locals chowing down on the Calugas, and the homemade sausage and meat dishes. Highly recommended for anyone looking to experience a no frill valparaiso eatery

Visited April 2012
Santiago, Chile
“Traditional Chilean Dishes at Good Prices”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2012

I went to this small restuarant for the firs time a couple of weeks ago with my Chilean husband who wanted me to try caluga de pescado. The waitress was very friendly and helpful which is not always something you find in Chile. The two of us ate fish, french fries, and salad for less than 9,000 CLP or about 18 USD.

I would have given it five stars but it's a bit of a hole in the wall - a small restuarant with tiny facilities, like a snug bathroom.

I'm surprised that more tourists haven't found this restuarant because of its great value.

• Visited February 2012